Anyone here a Dale Brown fan?

I admit that I am...Or at least was. I've read all of his "main-line"/McLanahan books and enjoy his writing for the most part, but HATE his propensity for killing off his main characters, and now, in his latest book...HE KILLED PATRICK! What kind of author kills his main character? Isn't that a little counter-productive? Anyway, I guess it is time to find a new author now that Tom Clancy is gone and DB seems to be done with Patrick McLanahan. Anyone want to buy the complete Old Dog series?

Aaron

Edited by strikeeagle801

I was a fan too. Read a lot of his novels. I was also a fan of Tom Clancy. I kind of stepped away from both when I discovered Clive Cussler. Although, I have to admit that I couldn't find time to read books anymore in the past few years. Would love to go back reading Dale Brown, Tom Clancy or Clive Cussler. I'd especially love to read how Dale killed off Patrick... Which book did he do it in?

I was a fan too. Read a lot of his novels. I was also a fan of Tom Clancy. I kind of stepped away from both when I discovered Clive Cussler. Although, I have to admit that I couldn't find time to read books anymore in the past few years. Would love to go back reading Dale Brown, Tom Clancy or Clive Cussler. I'd especially love to read how Dale killed off Patrick... Which book did he do it in?

Tiger's Claw is the name of the book. Came out a few months ago now.

Aaron

Well, excuse me. Can someone please delete this thread then.

Anybody who *is* a Dale Brown fan, and has followed the series, knows he has a habit of killing off his main characters, and, as did I, realized it was only a matter of time before he killed off Patrick. Notice I also did not say when, how, or who.

Aaron

Edited by strikeeagle801

Doesn't help those of us on phones. Subtitles don't show up.

Sure they do, just select the "request desktop version" in your browser settings ...

I do it all the time on my I phone... Easy peasy ...

-Gregg

I guess killing them off is better than never giving a concrete ending.

Look at WEB Griffins Corps series. The lat book ends an then there was never another book and it's been what 11 years? The Corps and the army series of his books are some of my favorite book series with some of the best characters. Now his stuff just bounces all over.

I've read a few of Browns books but never got them all so I have no idea of the ongoing storyline. I may be interested in buyin them all if the price was right. Pm me if serous.

Tiger's Claw is the name of the book. Came out a few months ago now.

Aaron

Thanks. Might go and look for it, for light reading for my upcoming overseas plane trips for the holiday season...

Tiger's Claw... Hmmm... I wonder if he was also a fan of the Wing Commander (PC Game) franchise many, MANY, years ago... :woot.gif:/>/>

Edited by Mike C

DB is a great writer.....however killing da General isn't going to go down well. He caught my eye with "Flight of the Old Dog" as he did many like me. Dreamland speaks for itself. Clancy IMHO was in a class by himself. One I've been reading for years is J.J. Savarin....whom I became a fan of with "Trophy", then "Target: Down", followed by "Pale Flyer",a great set of three; probably because these were a collection of hotshots, misfits, and oddballs, who were wizards at the stick and scope, brought together from NATO members and led by a fair, but no nonsense Wing Commander who hand picked them, to fly aircraft his input helped design. Mack Maloney is good though somewhat more unrealistic in his creations such as the "Wingman" series.

I don't think the technothriller genre ever recovered from the end of the Cold War, qualitatively. I've often wondered if a class action suit could be brought against Messrs. Gorbachev et al for lost royalty income resulting from the collapse of the USSR.

Anyway, I guess it is time to find a new author now that Tom Clancy is gone and DB seems to be done with Patrick McLanahan.

Aaron

Aaron if you are looking for a good replacement try either Lee Child with his "Jack Reacher" series (forgive the miscast of Tom in the movie)or Matthew Reilly with his "Scarecrow"series with beginning with "Ice Station" or his "Jack West Jr" series. I promise you won't be disappointed!

Regards,

Kent

Edited by Kahunaminor

I started reading Dale Brown with the Hammerheads series, but eventually got all of his books. I also liked Tom Clancy.

Stephen Coonts is another author I enjoyed reading. But as with tom Clancy, his later books went too much political for my taste.

I think 9/11 changed a lot too. Both the Jack Ryan series (Clancy) and the Patrick McLanahan series (Brown) tried to incorporate the events and fall-out of 9/11 and the War on Terror into their story lines, and in doing so, lost something. I think it is a catch 22 though. Both were writing fiction technically speaking, but keeping close enough that it COULD be reality. I don't see how they could have just ignored the events of 9/11.

Aaron

Both were writing fiction technically speaking, but keeping close enough that it COULD be reality.

If I remember correctly, it was in one of Clancy's Books where a Boeing 747 crashed into the either the White House or the Capitol?

So it actually BECAME reality.