1/32nd scale HK B-17G - (very) nearly there...

With the B-17 being my all time favourite aircraft, when I came across a pile of the new 1/32nd kit from HK Models' at Hannants' warehouse during a recent visit I couldn't resist...

Obligatory box shot:

S1030144.jpg

And hopefully how the finished model will look - 'Skipper' of the 306th Bomb Group based at Thurleigh, Bedfordshire:

B173bis.jpg

(Picture courtesy of the 306thBG website and used for illustrative purposes only)

This aircraft is perfect for the HK kit - staggered waist guns and a retro-fit Cheyenne tail turret, which replaced an original 'stinger' tail in November 1944, along with the fin and starboard stabiliser and elevator. Above all it is Olive Drab over Neutral Grey which is ideal for me as I don't fancy doing a natural metal finish. I will have to make/source my own decals, however.

This is a stunning kit, and I couldn't wait to get started on it. I am only going to allow myself seatbelts to be added as after-market items, any other modifications I perceive the model needing will be made from scratch. I have begun by working on the flightdeck area. I plan to have the forward crew hatch open, and therefore a little extra detail will be needed in this area as it lacks the framework etc. seen under the cockpit floor on the real aircraft.

Here are the kit parts:

S1030146.jpg

And after some modification:

S1030148.jpg

And some aluminium paint - contrary to popular belief, B-17s were predominantly natural metal inside:

S1030158.jpg

I've also painted up the flightdeck area itself - here's the forward bulkhead with the canvas cover for the back of the instrument panel made from Milliput. All that's needed to bring the kit parts to life is some careful brush work. I've painted these areas Dull Dark (Bronze) Green, rather than standard US Interior Green as my research pointed me in this direction - it appears 'standard' Interior Green was used rarely, if at all on the B-17:

S1030165.jpg

All parts (minus seats at this stage) painted and weathered. Although the main floors were plywood in the B-17, I find it very unlikely that were left in natural wood (imagine how slippery they'd get with frozen moisture or spilt hydraulic fluids/oil) so I have painted them Bronze Green and added the rubber anti-slip mats from very fine grade sandpaper. The low pressure oxygen bottles aren't that stark in real life, it's the fluorescent lighting playing tricks:

S1030182.jpg

Dry fit:

S1030186.jpg

S1030180.jpg

S1030178.jpg

My next task is the bomb-bay; stay tuned for regular updates...

Tom

Edited by TommyP

A little more to update you on...

I've been working on the bomb-bay area over the weekend, and have completed as much as I need to for the moment.

The kit parts needed a little improvement in my opinion, with the lower framework on the rear bulkhead being made form Evergreen strip and plastic card. A few sink marks needed removing on the catwalk structure, but other than that the kit parts are passable without causing any headaches:

S1030188.jpg

The bulkheads and fuselage sides then got a coat of aluminum, with various details picked out with brush work. The catwalk structure and the bomb racks were painted Bronze Green. I can't say for sure if this is completely accurate, but it makes the area look a lot more lively and gave me an opportunity to weather the green with some paint chips applied with a sponge. The 10 500lb bombs were assembled and painted at this point too:

S1030190.jpg

The bombs themselves don't hang correctly in their racks, and they are rotated 45 degrees off the correct angle - the fins sit as a square when viewed from the rear rather than a diamond as they should be. My solution, rather than to have to modify the mounting pins, was to simply rotate the tails through 45 degrees and attach them to the rear of the bomb, ignoring the kit's location points. They now hang in the correct manner.

I sprayed the bombs yellow first, then masked off the stripes with 1.5mm tape, and sprayed four of the bombs olive drab and six in faded olive drab to give them a little variation. They were then sponged with Nato Olive Green to give them a bit of a worn appearance after sitting outside exposed on a bomb dump for a while:

S1030195.jpg

These parts can now join the flightdeck in being put to one side as I tackle the radio room area.

I am loving this so far, it makes such a refreshing change to work on something so beautifully moulded and has relatively few issues :)/>

Tom

Thanks for the interest and comments chaps... :)

Next time I have the camera out I'll put a drinks can next to the model so you can see the size of the thing... it's big, but nowhere big as my 1:32nd B-29...

The yellow stripes on the bombs were to add a little visual interest in the bomb bay and mix the bomb load up a little - I can't say whether it's completely accurate but I swear I saw a picture of a bomb dump and some of the bombs were double-striped... I'll have to double check now!

I've made some good progress on the radio room today so hopefully another update soon.

Tom

Thanks for the interest once again folks... :)/>/>/>/>

I thought the cockpit floor was plywood and if so, there should not be any silver scratches. I'm not the B-17 expert though....

The floor behind the raised area was plywood, but the higher part where the rudder pedals and control columns etc were located was metal according to my references - hence the aluminium scratches.

The radio room is now complete.

The kit parts needed a little modification, and this started with the rear radio room bulkhead that divides the radio area and the rear fuselage where the ball turret and waist gunners are situated. HK have moulded the ball turret ammunition boxes as part of the radio room bulkhead, but in reality this wasn't the case. Earlier model B-17s had their ammo stored in the turret itself, and later models of the ball turret had the ammo boxes on the turret itself, to enable the ball to rotate freely without the ammunition chutes getting tangled, as they would have done with the HK rendition...

The deep apertures on the bulkhead also need filling - this forms the back of the radio stack moulding on the kit and isn't present on the real aircraft:

S1030199.jpg

My solution - grind off the ammo boxes and fill the apertures with thin plastic card and replace the ribs with Evergreen strip:

S1030202.jpg

I've also added the hinges and handle that were missing from the kit parts. This is far more representative of the real aircraft.

Here are the parts painted up. The step on the forward floor of the radio room isn't present on the real aircraft, but HK have moulded one here as the beefy wing spars needed to support the model run beneath this - I didn't want to remove and modify this area as I don't want to weaken the model. Plus this is an 'almost' OOB build... The B-17 also has a bomb strike camera under the radio room floor and this was accessed by a large panel in the floor - this wasn't present in the HK it so I simply added this from thin card. Again I've painted the floors bronze green and added the rubber anti-slip mats from fine sandpaper - I'm still not convinced the floors were left in bare wood due to the slip hazard:

92e982ca-90d9-4001-b04c-0f55a0365ffe.jpg

And here are the parts dry fitted to give an idea of what it'll look like when peering in the radio room top hatch. I've also removed the mount for the radio operator's gun as I'm building a late war B-17G and the gun was removed in mid-1944 as it had an ineffective field of fire and the position was obsolete. I'll either have to put a clear patch over the perspex or leave it off altogether - I am leaning towards the latter as it'll show off more of the interior detail:

caa185ee-7327-4bd4-ae9b-3a453e2b2941.jpg

S1030211.jpg

S1030209.jpg

S1030208.jpg

S1030203.jpg

All that's been done here is some fine brush work - the detail comes to life with a light dry brushing of Xtracolour Aluminium and the beauty of the HK moulds can be appreciated.

One final modification I made was the seating in the radio room. The instructions don't mention a seat for the radio operator at all, so added the supports from spares in the kit - one for the radio operator himself and another for an auxiliary seat which was often found in this area. The seats themselves will be added when I've got a seat belt set, and will again come from spare parts supplied in the kit.

Next job will be the forward fuselage where the Navigator and Bombardier were stationed.

Until next time :)

Tom

EDIT - apologies but forgot to add a drinks can for scale purposes - will do next time, I promise! ;)

Edited by TommyP

Very nice work. You're correct the floors were plywood but were covered in a black rubber anti slip material. The second seat in the radios room often wasn't there due to size concerns. Under heavy flak the crew would often huddle together in the radium room or upon returning to base. It was slightly warmer and more protected than the waist area due to the closer bulkheads. No worries on leaving the seat in though as I'm sure they used it sometimes.

I also think most of the bulkhead doors were usuall removed but am not 100% certain. They were probably left until destroyed by gunfire or flak and then never replaced.

I had a tour of the Memphis Belle a couple of years ago at the restoration facility at the Air Force Museum. As we looked inside the rear fuselage into the waist gunner's compartment, the man giving the tour asked us to note the interior color. It was in natural metal. This fellow (one of the folks actually involved in the work on "The Belle") told us they "... didn't bother to paint the inside of the fuselage...". I'd never realized that. He also said the colors you see in movies are false.

Just wanted to pass that on. I hope this helps you out.... I have a couple of pics if you're interested. Glad to send them along if you like.

DET1460

Email me

I had a tour of the Memphis Belle a couple of years ago at the restoration facility at the Air Force Museum. As we looked inside the rear fuselage into the waist gunner's compartment, the man giving the tour asked us to note the interior color. It was in natural metal. This fellow (one of the folks actually involved in the work on "The Belle") told us they "... didn't bother to paint the inside of the fuselage...". I'd never realized that. He also said the colors you see in movies are false.

Just wanted to pass that on. I hope this helps you out.... I have a couple of pics if you're interested. Glad to send them along if you like.

DET1460

Email me

Hi, and many thanks for the info and offer of pictures.

I actually have done the tour of the USAFM at Dayton too, and have many pictures of the Memphis Belle under restoration, but many thanks for your kind offer.

As far as my research suggests, the B-17 was painted (or had green padding/insulation) in the cockpit and radio room, but you're quite right in the fact the rest was left unpainted.

Most warbird restorations are painted inside to protect the airframe from corrosion and are not always correct when compared to a wartime B-17.

Tom

Hi, and many thanks for the info and offer of pictures.

I actually have done the tour of the USAFM at Dayton too, and have many pictures of the Memphis Belle under restoration, but many thanks for your kind offer.

As far as my research suggests, the B-17 was painted (or had green padding/insulation) in the cockpit and radio room, but you're quite right in the fact the rest was left unpainted.

Most warbird restorations are painted inside to protect the airframe from corrosion and are not always correct when compared to a wartime B-17.

Tom

No problem, Tom. I don't know how far the restoration was along at the times you saw her, but I also have the turret fully restored on a stand as well as all four engines finished restoration and on stands. If you need those pics (or if anyone needs them) let me know.

I'm looking forward to the progress pics and the completed project. Funny thing is, you'll probably take more time to build it than Boeing did to build thiry or forty of the real thing!!! (They were knocking them out pretty quick!)

DET1460Email me

I've been working on the nose section of late.

Here is the floor of this section, with the chin turret motor scratch-built using various bits and bobs from the spares box and installed below the bombardier's seat:

S1030220.jpg

Here are the seats installed with some Eduard belts, and the navigator's table with a map of Wilhelmshaven reduced in scale and added to liven the area up a little. The pencils are painted Evergreen strip, and the ammunition feeds for the cheek guns are from the box:

S1030310.jpg

With the guns installed a test fit reveals no fit issues at all:

S1030311.jpg

S1030314.jpg

I reduced the worst of the ejector pin marks with a scalpel blade, and although they are still just visible in this macro shot, it's dark enough in there when the nose is installed not to cause any further worry.

A test fit to the fuselage shows that there will be no issues in terms of mating the nose to the fuselage:

S1030327.jpg

Revell's 1/72nd scale B-17 gives a sense of scale here...

I'm now going to turn my attention to the waist area, and will update you again when this is done.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I've spent a couple of evenings on the B-17 this week and have got the fuselage joined. The rear of the fuselage was spayed in aluminium, and I added the armour plate for the waist gunners from thin plastic card and added them below the waist windows. The walkway around the ball turret was added to the rear radio room bulkhead, and each of the interior sub-sections were installed in the fuselage, taking special care to get them in their slots correctly to aid with the joining of the fuselage halves. The tail wheel structure was painted bronze green and inserted, along with the floor which was covered in fine sandpaper to replicate the anti-slip mats in this area:

S1030350.jpg

The interior of the turtle deck was also painted up, ready for installation later on in the build. I'm currently waiting for a stencil sheet from KitsWorld as I want to add some of their interior stencils (for the doors etc.) before adding the roof section.

The fuselage halves were allowed to dry thoroughly and the joins cleaned up - the fit was impeccable and required no filler at all, quite impressive for a kit this size! I then added the last few details to the rear bulkhead for the nose section such as the additional rack of instruments for the navigator and the fire extinguisher, too:

S1030356.jpg

The nose section was then ready for joining:

S1030359-1.jpg

Despite my best efforts to line everything up, the nose section seems to have a slightly smaller diameter than the fuselage where it joins. This leaves a slight step that needed a little filling. I'm pretty sure it's me having got something wrong somewhere rather than the kit - I'd be interested to see if others doing this build have the same issue:

S1030364.jpg

S1030367.jpg

After a quick once over with some sandpaper and then a fine brushing of Mr Surfacer 500 along with some re-scribing, this was the result:

S1030370.jpg

S1030372.jpg

S1030375.jpg

Note the cockpit decking is just slotted in here and not glued - when a bit of pressure is applied the fit is excellent.

So here we are now:

S1030377.jpg

Coming on nicely. Next up is the tail turret.

Tom