757 walk around pics

I took these at work today. We had some time at Chicago O'hare so I took my camera with me when I did the pre flight walk around. I figured that any of you peeps building a 757 might find these useful. This is a US Airways plane but the general gear and wing colors are pretty standard.

Here's the nose gear. I'm not sure if all 757s have the runway turn-off lights on the nose gear. Some might have them in the wing roots but I'm not positive.

file-3.jpg

file-4.jpg

file-2.jpg

Here you can see the FO and Alt pitot tubes. The bottom one is the AOA vane:

file-5.jpg

Here's the TAT probe, the negative pressure relief valves and the static ports:

file-6.jpg

These white squares are the radio altimeters:

file-7.jpg

Here's the leading edge root. You can see the the Boeing's leading edges are polished where the Airbus looks like dull or matte aluminum:

file-8.jpg

Edited by Fly-n-hi

Here are some close ups of the right main gear:

file-9.jpg

file-12.jpg

file-10.jpg

file-11.jpg

I took this pic so you could see the joint between the wing and the engine pylon:

file-13.jpg

file-15.jpg

Here's looking at the engine inlet. Again, the boeings have polished lips while the Airbuses are dull:

file.jpg

Edited by Fly-n-hi

Here's looking up the tailpipe. You can see that it has that interior green color and is relatively clean. Just the turbine (or hot section) looks dirty. These are the Rolls Royce RB211 engines:

file-1.jpg

I got a pic of the fueler with the panel open:

file-16.jpg

Most of our 757s have the blended winglets. We have 5 or 6 that don't. In this case you can see that the nav light lens is colored...not just the bulbs:

file-17.jpg

From the other side you can see the logo lights that shine on the tail. The winglet planes don't have logo lights. You can also see the static wicks:

file-19.jpg

Here's a good pick looking inward at the flap fairings:

file-18.jpg

Here's a pic looking at the right main gear from behind:

file-20.jpg

This is the door for the RAT or Ram Air Turbine. Its a big fan that pops out and pressurizes one of the hydraulic systems in case we lose the pumps:

file-21.jpg

Edited by Fly-n-hi

Aft corgo door:

file-22.jpg

The tail or empennage. Again, note the polished leading edges. Also, I don't know what it is with US Airways. I think we buy the cheapest crap paint to save money:

file-23.jpg

file-25.jpg

Here's a good look at the APU exhaust:

file-24.jpg

This is the outflow valve. It opens and closes and that how we control the pressurization:

file-26.jpg

A close up of the tail number:

file-27.jpg

More static ports and pressure relief valves. You might notice, too, that our 757s do not have overwing exits. Some airlines do, though. We have 4 doors on each side of the plane:

file-28.jpg

Edited by Fly-n-hi

Obviously the stuff on the left side of the plane is the same as the right side but I continued to take pics anyway:

file-29.jpg

file-30.jpg

file-31.jpg

I took this pick hoping to look straight up into the gear well:

file-32.jpg

This was a good one showing the line of access panels running down the length of the wing:

file-33.jpg

This was a better overall view of the engine nacelle:

file-34.jpg

file-35.jpg

...and looking back up towards the front of the plane. You see ETOPS on the gear door. That means Extended Twin Engine Operations. Our 757s are capable of 180 minute ETOPS. That means we can fly 3 hours away from land:

file-36.jpg

Edited by Fly-n-hi

Great pictures. How do you like flying Boeing vrs Airbus (assuming you are rated on those jets)?

Last question - what is that orange-ish stuff sprayed all over the interior of nosewheel bay?

You might want to re-post these to the Research Corner Forum, not everyone remembers to check out this one.

Thanks for taking the time to post these.

Great pictures. How do you like flying Boeing vrs Airbus (assuming you are rated on those jets)?

Last question - what is that orange-ish stuff sprayed all over the interior of nosewheel bay?

You might want to re-post these to the Research Corner Forum, not everyone remembers to check out this one.

Thanks for taking the time to post these.

Thanks. I posted here because the airliner guys are probably the only ones who'd be interested in these and I figure the pics are more likely to be seen by the airliner guys in this forum. But maybe I well repost them.

I'm not sure what the orange stuff is but I believe it is some kind of anti corrosive paint. Hydraulic fluid is very corrosive I don't know why its only in the nose gear well, though. It was the same way on the 737.

Yes, I'm typed in the 757/767 and the A320 series (we have the 319, 320, 321). I like the Boeing product better myself. Its more of a pilot's airplane where the airbus is more of an autopilot's airplane. You fly the Boeing but you manage the Airbus. But don't get me wrong. There are things about the Airbus that I liked but overall I would rather fly Boeings, especially the 757. Its just a beast of a plane.

.and looking back up towards the front of the plane. You see ETOPS on the gear door. That means Extended Twin Engine Operations. Our 757s are capable of 180 minute ETOPS. That means we can fly 3 hours away from land:

I don't want to talk down your explanation of ETOPS but this seems rather incomplete to me? As far as I know it means how far you can legally fly from a suitable diversion airport, meaning that ETOPS is also relevant when flying above, for example, the Sahara or the poles.

Nice photos :) I like the looks of the 757, especially the nose and its high landing gear. What also surprises me is the diagonal door lock handles, I have never seen them on other Boeing models. Why didn't they just use the systems they already had, like those of the 737?

Edited by TheFlyingDutchman

thanks for the pics.

11BEE: the orange stuff in the nose well is a product called Dinitrol. it is a corrosion preventative spray that seeps into the nooks and crannies and then hardens like paint. not too sure why its not on the mains though.

I have to say that is the cleanest airliner I have seen in a while. it must have been washed in the last few days.

I don't want to talk down your explanation of ETOPS but this seems rather incomplete to me? As far as I know it means how far you can legally fly from a suitable diversion airport, meaning that ETOPS is also relevant when flying above, for example, the Sahara or the poles.

True. But this a modeling forum a I don't really feel like explaining it all in detail. I'm just giving basic explanations so that the majority can "get the idea." There's alot of detail I could get into that I'm not going to...like what actually causes the RAT to deploy for example.

If I were going to explain ETOPS it would go like this: Extended Operation (ETOPS) are conducted under 14 CFR Part 121 over a route that contains a point further than one hour flying time at the normal one engine inoperative cruise speed in still air from an adequate airport. An adequate airport is an airport containing services and facilities capable of handling the aircraft with at lest one runway of sufficient length for the landing aircraft.

But seriously, who wants to read that? Heck, I almost fell asleep typing it.

Nice photos :)/>/>/> I like the looks of the 757, especially the nose and its high landing gear. What also surprises me is the diagonal door lock handles, I have never seen them on other Boeing models. Why didn't they just use the systems they already had, like those of the 737?

Thanks. If you think this is odd wait till you see the differences between the 757 and the 767. You'll be scratching your head for sure. Edited by Fly-n-hi

Interesting ramp rash on that airplane. Looks like someone tried to drive the jet bridge into the fuselage on the L2 door area. Also see that airplane is not RVSM qualified because of the ramp rash on the Captains Static Ports. But it does look like this airplane just came out of a MBV or C Check, there is no grease all over the gear.

100_0755.jpg

Here is one of my "clean" airplanes.

105_0731.jpg

The new 3 wheel truck mod for the 757's. These is what happens when management contracts out the gear overhauls to the lowest bidders and not doing the work in house anymore.

100_9917.jpg

100_9803_zps2465f2a2.jpg

V1 rotate, this is how you get a 757 into a hangar that wasn't built to fit a 757, The tail door is rusted shut and there is pipes for the heaters running across the tail door, Every time we pull on in the hangar we would stop all the airport traffic.

Just a little bit of my airplanes, soon to be part of your fleet.

Edited by boeing767mech

Interesting ramp rash on that airplane. Looks like someone tried to drive the jet bridge into the fuselage on the L2 door area. Also see that airplane is not RVSM qualified because of the ramp rash on the Captains Static Ports. But it does look like this airplane just came out of a MBV or C Check, there is no grease all over the gear.

Yeah, there's some rash but its not close enough to the static ports to affect RVSM.

There is a patch on the alternate static port, which is large enough to go into the RVSM critical inspection area. And since there is not placards around the RVSM critical inspection area I can assume this airframe isn't RVSM qualified.

Just useless crap I notice being an inspector.

There is a patch on the alternate static port, which is large enough to go into the RVSM critical inspection area. And since there is not placards around the RVSM critical inspection area I can assume this airframe isn't RVSM qualified.

Just useless crap I notice being an inspector.

I'm not sure what you're seeing in the pics but he plane is RVSM compliant. It gets ETOPS checked almost daily and our FAA Maintenance POI seems to agree. Plus, when I walk around it to inspect it I have to check the static ports and the critical areas. So if all of our pilots, mechanics and our FAA guy don't see anything wrong then I think its safe to say there's nothing wrong.

But...I don't want this thread to turn into an RVSM debate. This is just supposed to be a helpful tool to guys who might be building a 757 model. If you would like to continue this discussion please do it, out of respect for me, via PMs and I will be happy to reply.

• 2 weeks later...

All the photos of this w\a were removed(((

Is there another source to see them?

Isaac

Darn it!

I moved the folder in my Photobucket account and the URLs changed. I'll get 'em back up in the next couple of days. Sorry!

Edited by Fly-n-hi