P-3 Orion painting by Mickey Harris

My wife gave me this litho last Christmas, 24" x 30", fairly large.

I stationed with P-3s out of NAS Brunswick, Maine. This painting reminds me of flying off the coast of New England during late fall and winter...getting buffeted around for hours, the smell of CAD smoke in the back of the airplane, new aircrewmen getting nauseous, windscreen coated in salt spray. There were times I'd swear the wing tip was going to grab a wave while in a turn. Good times!

I only wished he'd depicted the number one engine shut down for loiter.

There is an accompanying painting titled "...But You Can't Hide" showing a P-3 banking over a submerged Typhoon class sub.

DSC_0002_zps4d7ffbef.jpg

My wife gave me this litho last Christmas, 24" x 30", fairly large.

I stationed with P-3s out of NAS Brunswick, Maine. This painting reminds me of flying off the coast of New England during late fall and winter...getting buffeted around for hours, the smell of CAD smoke in the back of the airplane, new aircrewmen getting nauseous, windscreen coated in salt spray. There were times I'd swear the wing tip was going to grab a wave while in a turn. Good times!

I only wished he'd depicted the number one engine shut down for loiter.

There is an accompanying painting titled "...But You Can't Hide" showing a P-3 banking over a submerged Typhoon class sub.

DSC_0002_zps4d7ffbef.jpg

Great painting, sounds like a fun time. Had a co-worker that used to fly out of the reserve squadron (can't remember who they were) based at the old NAS South Weymouth during the cold war days. He had some cool stories about actually tracking Rooski subs and some fun deployments to Bermuda (my favorite place on the planet).

Andrew, just want to say I have more respect for that aircraft than I could ever imagined, since we moved to Jax a few months ago. We live right on the flightline for NAS JAX, out in Orange Park, and to have those lights pan across the back yard at night is like nothing I have ever seen. Just awesome! Sorry to be so overwhelmed but today we went out to the Target next to the base to watch touch and go's...love it!

Thanks for sharing and thanks to all the guys for flying such an important aircraft! Slowly watching the P-8's coming up, but I still miss the prop noise from these low flyers!!

That print is freakin awesome!!

-Jim

That is a real beauty! Love the P-3. There was a Lockheed facility in the Donaldson center in South Carolina where they serviced upgraded the P-3. I used to call on a customer right next door to the facility and I could always catch a bunch of them on the ground.

Great painting, sounds like a fun time. Had a co-worker that used to fly out of the reserve squadron (can't remember who they were) based at the old NAS South Weymouth during the cold war days. He had some cool stories about actually tracking Rooski subs and some fun deployments to Bermuda (my favorite place on the planet).

VP-92 was the squadron at NAS So. Wey. After they closed it down, they moved on up to NAS Brunswick. The squadron I was in shared a hangar with them and their folks would fly with us often, or we'd borrow their planes from time to time. I thought that was pretty cool, having grown up seeing the Minutemen flying around down in the South Shore area.

Andrew, just want to say I have more respect for that aircraft than I could ever imagined, since we moved to Jax a few months ago. We live right on the flightline for NAS JAX, out in Orange Park, and to have those lights pan across the back yard at night is like nothing I have ever seen. Just awesome! Sorry to be so overwhelmed but today we went out to the Target next to the base to watch touch and go's...love it!

Thanks for sharing and thanks to all the guys for flying such an important aircraft! Slowly watching the P-8's coming up, but I still miss the prop noise from these low flyers!!

That print is freakin awesome!!

-Jim

Cool! Spent many hours in the pattern around NAS Jax, especially during flight engineer school, where most of my time was spent sweating out graded flights...so not much time for gawking around out the windows!

A guy was asking a few months back about plane spotting around NAS Jax, I recommended the Target parking lot. That's cool that they let people hang out without freaking out like most places anymore.

I had a blast being a P-3 crewman, happy to have been a part of its long history. A lot of folks are hating to see it go. Ironically enough, I worked for Boeing for a few months on the P-8. For my friends still in the VP community I would tell them its a good airplane overall but to me it does lack that "warbird" feel...I mean, c'mon, its got carpeting in there, man! That's not going to go over well when some nugget aircrewman pukes after a few hours of low level work over the waves.

Edited by 82Whitey51
  • 7 months later...