Need some pointers on prepping tires

Hello all, I've been in a modeling funk for years and have the itch to build a 1/24 Monogram '96 T-bird. I will be using the skill level 3 kit. I just got the Slixx #28 Havoline decal sheet in the mail so I am ready to go.

I'm a plane / armor guy and never really got into cars.

I would like to get some tips on how to prep the kit tires. How do I get rid of the seam and apply the GOODYEAR EAGLE decals? Any tips on making them look real would be appreciated.

I have a thick emory board that I use to sand the center seams. Put the tire on my finger and then sand across the seam while spin the tire slowly. Not all tires are made well enough to fully get rid of the seam though sadly. Although I have seen plenty of racing goodyears at work and the 1:1 tires have a seam.

As for the decals you can put a layer of future on the sidewalls to smooth them before the decals. Then use the normal microsol method. Tameo makes a solvent that's very hot and supposed to work best on tires but I haven't gotten it yet.

Then just spray a flat coat over it as normal.

Hope that helps.

Possibly. Don't try to sand them off that will make the decals almost impossible to fit. You an try one decal on the inward facing portion of the tire to see of it will conform. May have to cut each letter individually to get a good fit.

If you do paint make sure to use acrylic paint as laqcuer won't dry.

Swag,

The only thing that I can add here on removing the seam and the "Good Year" emblems molded into the tires is a way that I have to remove these pesky items. I have a sanding wheel that is just about the same width as the tire but is just slighly smaller in diameter. I wrap paper tape around the wheel to where it just fits inside the wheel. I then chuck the wheel up in my Dremel tool with a speed control so that I can turn the RPM's way down. Then run it over sanding pads, emory boards, or a piece of sandpaper mounted on a piece of plexiglass. This works great. I then brush paint a couple of coats of Future on the areas for the decal. Brush paint another coat on the decal once it is applied and dried for a couple of days, and then Dullcote it. Makes them look Great! I use to do NASCAR kits by contract until the die cast market basically put me out of business. Anyway, I hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

Edited by SonyKen

Ken gives the same advice I was going to give. The other thing you can do when you want to use a decal on the sidewall is to cut the ring out of the inside of the tire, this way you can assemble the wheel with the raised letters on the inside, and the smooth side out.

Thanks for all the info gents, right now I'm filling in sink holes in the chassis :-( . I have some spare wheels that I will test out the methods you all have told me about. I wish there where more after market items for cars.

Thanks for all the info gents, right now I'm filling in sink holes in the chassis :-( . I have some spare wheels that I will test out the methods you all have told me about. I wish there where more after market items for cars.

Be careful what you wish for. There's lots of aftermarket for cars depending on what you're looking for. And there's lots that costs a fortune as well!

Hope things go well on the tires.

• 1 month later...