richie vs cunnham phantoms

why is Cunningham's phantom singled out. monogram ,and hasegawa have both done have decals and have it as part of the box art of Cunningham's where as it seams that nobody wants to do Richie. I know there after market stuff, I am only talking kits. True Cunningham's has a fancy and colorful markings and Riches is just como, but six pack on the left intake is all that matters. And is isn't Cunningham still in prison for tax fraud. I also know Hasegeawa did there kit sometime ago. but why not do Richie in a C/D rebox kit. They do that all the time with the J. Just think about it, would it sell or not.

Well first off your talking about two different aircraft, a "C/D" and a "J" Air force and Navy.

Monogram has done both and both have the represented decal sheets, oddly enough the standing figure in Monograms F-4D kit has a striking resemblance to Steve Richie.

Hasegawa has re released both their kits, but as you say Cunningham's A/C is represented on most box tops once they went with the new tooled "J". The C/D's went to the more modern for the type Egypt style paint schemes, as I'm sure they needed to draw more interest to there aging raised panel line kit.

As for the two Pilots, they get all the attention because they were the History Makers, there were many more notable pilots but thay just don't get the same media coverage, as we do our own research of History we start to pick our own Hero's that we would like to do in model form, but the Manufactures cannot outguess the market and cannot please everyone, so they go with what they think will sell, that's where the Aftermarket decal makers come in, and they face the same dilemma.

Curt

Edited by Netz

why is Cunningham's phantom singled out. monogram ,and hasegawa have both done have decals and have it as part of the box art of Cunningham's where as it seams that nobody wants to do Richie. I know there after market stuff, I am only talking kits. True Cunningham's has a fancy and colorful markings and Riches is just como, but six pack on the left intake is all that matters. And is isn't Cunningham still in prison for tax fraud. I also know Hasegeawa did there kit sometime ago. but why not do Richie in a C/D rebox kit. They do that all the time with the J. Just think about it, would it sell or not.

read Robin Old's book "Fighter Pilot." When you read between the lines you soon pick up on who is who, and why he didn't take much stock in one of them.

gary

Well first off your talking about two different aircraft, a "C/D" and a "J" Air force and Navy.

Monogram has done both and both have the represented decal sheets, oddly enough the standing figure in Monograms F-4D kit has a striking resemblance to Steve Richie.

Hasegawa has re released both their kits, but as you say Cunningham's A/C is represented on most box tops once they went with the new tooled "J". The C/D's went to the more modern for the type Egypt style paint schemes, as I'm sure they needed to draw more interest to there aging raised panel line kit.

As for the two Pilots, they get all the attention because they were the History Makers, there were many more notable pilots but thay just don't get the same media coverage, as we do our own research of History we start to pick our own Hero's that we would like to do in model form, but the Manufactures cannot outguess the market and cannot please everyone, so they go with what they think will sell, that's where the Aftermarket decal makers come in, and they face the same dilemma.

Curt

That's why an (almost anti) hero for fighter pilot history for me is Greg "Pappy" Boyington. Because based much on his war story embellished or not he was not a typical gun slinger hero. In fact his quote said was "Show me a Hero and I'll show you Bum." makes clear much about what he thought of heroes and much of his war story.

I have a 1/48 Tamiya F4U-1D kit of Lulu Belle, Boyington's F4U and I mean to build it one day. Obviously as a kid the 70's t.v show influenced me about Boyington the man and the t.v. myth but I also fell in love with the F4U Corsair then as well. Coolest, big arsed, bastard, fighter plane of WWII IMO! :worship:/> :thumbsup:/>

Edited by Les / Creative Edge Photo

It would be very nice to have decals for the Ritchie/DeBellevue Phantom in 1:48th available again. "Showtime 100" kits are still available in.

If the rumors are true and all fiction has some basis in fact, Col. (retired BGen) Ritchie, didn't exactly endear himself to the higher brass after his tours in SEA. However he still bagged 5. The facts be known C. DeBellevue had/has 6 making him the leader, although he was a GIB, not a driver; 4 with Ritchie and 2 more with others. I guess Pappy was right, C. Lindbergh had a wife and family in the US, and another in France. R. "Duke" Cunningham let down a lot of us with his actions, it took a lot of the luster off his star, if not all. DeBellevue and Driscoll are still held in high esteem.

It would be very nice to have decals for the Ritchie/DeBellevue Phantom in 1:48th available again. "Showtime 100" kits are still available in.

If the rumors are true and all fiction has some basis in fact, Col. (retired BGen) Ritchie, didn't exactly endear himself to the higher brass after his tours in SEA. However he still bagged 5. The facts be known C. DeBellevue had/has 6 making him the leader, although he was a GIB, not a driver; 4 with Ritchie and 2 more with others. I guess Pappy was right, C. Lindbergh had a wife and family in the US, and another in France. R. "Duke" Cunningham let down a lot of us with his actions, it took a lot of the luster off his star, if not all. DeBellevue and Driscoll are still held in high esteem.

Robin Olds had a minimum of seven kills in SEA, and some think nine. Of course he's not here to ask these days. Plus these days I doubt that Mr. Olds could even care. Now there's a constant (and from several close sources) that the Department of the Navy had a lot to do with Cunningham's feet of becoming an ace. Story goes that at least one, and maybe even two of his kills were actually bagged by his wing men. Plus one other still has never been confirmed, and the Vietnamese say he didn't get the kill, but did damage said airframe. Once again politics roar to the forefront in all these cases. The Air Force would not allow Olds to fly past the 17th Parallel (even though he did), and the Navy wanted an ace in the worst way. Of course we have another ace in WWII that often admits claiming shoot downs of planes taxing on the runway.

gary