Last flight of the Battle Carrier Shinigami

Hi guys

I was perusing the shelves of my LHS the other day and I came across this new looking kit from (of all companies) Bandai.

IMG_2938_zpsd395d2e2.jpg

IMG_2939_zps21a5ab8d.jpg

It is the self described Astro Battleship/Carrier from the Space Battle Ship Yamato 2199 series. It looks much better than some of the earlier Yamato series ships. I was quite drawn to the sleek lines of this ship and it's almost how I would envision a space carrier to look like

I am currently thinking up ways to detail it up and of course light it. The carrier deck looks easy enough to light, but the engines look quite challenging to say the least

It comes with another 2 ships - for which I have no idea of their use let alone type. I'm sure an avid fan of the series would be able to tell me...

First up, the parts:

IMG_2941_zpse2aa2fd3.jpg

IMG_2944_zps3108be0f.jpg

IMG_2946_zps508731e2.jpg

IMG_2947_zpsbcf9a4f5.jpg

IMG_2948_zpscc5ade4c.jpg

IMG_2950_zps083ce2ba.jpg

and the instructions book. It is entirely in Japanese, but the pics speak for themselves, so I won't need a translator :)/>/>/>/> The following shots will come in part 2

IMG_2951_zps5ce313ac.jpg

Edited by The Madhatter

Part 3

IMG_2970_zps5521105a.jpg

IMG_2971_zpsc9f65450.jpg

IMG_2972_zps39f0476b.jpg

IMG_2973_zpsf86d728c.jpg

IMG_2974_zpsa9feaea4.jpg

I am not normally that into these kind of kits, but I really do like this one. I'll do a WIP here when I'm ready to start it if anyone is interested in seeing it?

It was a little bit expensive ($69.99 AU) but seemingly worth it for an unusual subject

See you around

MH

I'll do a WIP here when I'm ready to start it if anyone is interested in seeing it?

It was a little bit expensive ($69.99 AU) but seemingly worth it for an unusual subject

See you around

MH

Anyone interested in seeing The Madhatter in the ring with a honkin' Anime monster? Hmmm, let me see... I think you may be assured of a select following! :punk:

(Maybe $69.99 AU is not so steep for that kind of product; it looks like QUALITY, Sir! Many thanks for the comprehensive photos.)

It comes with another 2 ships - for which I have no idea of their use let alone type. I'm sure an avid fan of the series would be able to tell me...

The red flying wing is carrying a special torpedo specifically designed for the Yamato - it drills into the Wave Motion gun port and renders it unusable. Once it drills in deep enough it explodes. The white ship is a special transporting ship used in the coordinated attack featuring the torpedo bomber - instead of flying from the carrier, the white ships instantaneously transports the fighters right next to the Yamato.

The normal fighters carried by the ship are much smaller, but it doesn't look like the model comes with them. When the carrier is done launching fighters, the flight deck flips around and brings out the gun turrets (one of the options in step 26).

I'll do a WIP here when I'm ready to start it if anyone is interested in seeing it?

I'd love to see it.

Anyone interested in seeing The Madhatter in the ring with a honkin' Anime monster? Hmmm, let me see... I think you may be assured of a select following! :punk:/>

(Maybe $69.99 AU is not so steep for that kind of product; it looks like QUALITY, Sir! Many thanks for the comprehensive photos.)

thanks mate - I'll try not to let you down ;)

The red flying wing is carrying a special torpedo specifically designed for the Yamato - it drills into the Wave Motion gun port and renders it unusable. Once it drills in deep enough it explodes. The white ship is a special transporting ship used in the coordinated attack featuring the torpedo bomber - instead of flying from the carrier, the white ships instantaneously transports the fighters right next to the Yamato.

The normal fighters carried by the ship are much smaller, but it doesn't look like the model comes with them. When the carrier is done launching fighters, the flight deck flips around and brings out the gun turrets (one of the options in step 26).

Ah - so then I take it this is one of the good guy's ships then? Please forgive my ignorance in this subject...

No, there are no small fighters for this ship unfortunately. I wonder if anyone would make them that small?

Ah - so then I take it this is one of the good guy's ships then? Please forgive my ignorance in this subject...

No, there are no small fighters for this ship unfortunately. I wonder if anyone would make them that small?

It's a bad guy ship (although "bad guy" might be a little simple considering what happens in the second series of the original show). The standard carrier for the Garmillas forces is the one in the background of the box cover - a multi-decked affair reminiscent of the multi-decked carriers Japan had in WWII.

Here is the model kit of the good guy ships (although these get wiped out at the beginning of the series - after that it's pretty much just the Yamato): http://www.hlj.com/product/ban978530/Sci

The fighters are roughly WWII fighter sized, so I can see why they don't include any in a 1/1000 model. The vent-like structure at the base of the superstructure is the entrance to the hangers.

It's a bad guy ship (although "bad guy" might be a little simple considering what happens in the second series of the original show). The standard carrier for the Garmillas forces is the one in the background of the box cover - a multi-decked affair reminiscent of the multi-decked carriers Japan had in WWII.

Here is the model kit of the good guy ships (although these get wiped out at the beginning of the series - after that it's pretty much just the Yamato): http://www.hlj.com/product/ban978530/Sci

The fighters are roughly WWII fighter sized, so I can see why they don't include any in a 1/1000 model. The vent-like structure at the base of the superstructure is the entrance to the hangers.

Thanks for the clarification there :) Bad guys huh?...well, that'd be a nice change for me to build an enemy ship for once - although I guess you can call the Venator an enemy ship to, although my version was the Republic one - not the Imperial one.

Very Cool! I've been watching Yamato 2199 (although I need to do some catch up) and have toyed around with picking up a couple of the new kits they have coming out. Did the Bandai Yamato back in the day (~ 1981) and would love to take a crack at the 1/350 scale kit they have out.

I would definitely be interested in a WIP thread!

I must get my crap together and start watching it really.

Ask and ye shall receive: I have made a small start on this tonight by marking out where I am going to be cutting out unnecessary plastic which in turn will facilitate the carrier deck lighting. Once I have actually cut it out etc, I'll start posting pics. I need to try and work out how the heck I'm going to get the intake lighting to work! Looking at the box art and some pics I found online, I need the light to not just come out the hole in the front but to appear to emanate from the sides. I have no idea on how that will work.

As for other ideas, I'm going to drop the deck lift on the front left hand side to be on the lower hangar (currently molded up top) and scratch up some hangar detail on both sides. I'll try and get some fiber optics in there as well to add some interest.

Looks like I'll need to start stocking up on some 1/700 and 1/1200 ships kits again. Fortunately, I still have 30 feet of optic left over but will need to buy some more LEDs and SMDs of different colors.

I'm also going to try and get s spotlight effect on the bow and midships lettering. That's where SMD's will come in handy I think.

I've been looking at the bridge with a none-to-small level of skepticism - the "windows" are tiny and oddly shaped and just adding fibers won't cut it. I'm thinking I may need to recast the entire bridge section in a frosted clear resin and add a light inside that while masking only the windows. I'm going to ask some guys in my club if they do clear resin casting - or at least know of anyone who does. It seems I may be better learning how to do this myself I think.

I've just literally had a thought - as I have been writing, it has occurred to me that the frosted clear resin idea also could be the answer to the intake lighting issue as well. Hmmmm - I will ponder this idea a bit more I think.....

MH

Greetings everyone

Well, I have been very slowly plugging away at this. Most of my time has been spent cutting and chopping, but I have managed to get the carrier deck lighting installed and have started to scratch build the small bay below the deck. I have cut the elevator from the top deck and placed it down below - I thought that looked more like what it's supposed to be - otherwise it would just blend in with the deck.

Forgive the poor photos - I only get to photograph when it's night time and I don't have the correct temperature lights yet. However, you'll get the idea:

IMG_3008_zpsbe160b9d.jpg

IMG_3021_zps57a0b97c.jpg

IMG_3023_zps9a1b0d5d.jpg

IMG_3025_zpsaafcb5a3.jpg

IMG_3029_zps56843705.jpg

IMG_3030_zpse37ce929.jpg

IMG_3032_zps302716c3.jpg

IMG_3034_zps458067fb.jpg

IMG_3035_zps96227d82.jpg

Well, that's all for now. I'll try to take better photos next time - or at least during daylight hours :D

Cheers

MH

greetings again

The bay is now finished. I've tried to make it look bigger than what it is by creating layers. The whole area is only 4cm long by 1.5cm deep. I was going to add roof lighting but then I realise that the carrier deck sits right on top of that roof, so I would be able to sit it on top of the fibers, so I had to ditch that idea. I'm thinking I might add some floor lighting to the area by the elevator, but I'm not to sure it'll be worth it. Once the roof goes on, you can't see much of this area anyway.

IMG_3078_zps23be9254.jpg

IMG_3066_zps3f1fa4e3.jpg

IMG_3075_zpsdd148197.jpg

IMG_3072_zpsc1f75722.jpg

Time to keep plugging away at this. Not sure what will be the next update yet. Might look at the other bay to see what I can do with that one :D

MH

Very quick update to prove I am still working on this. Most of my time has been cutting, chopping and cutting some more just to make room for the electronics. It is such a tight fit as it is without my clumsy work trying to be packed in there. I have been asking myself why I bother to light things up sometimes when OOB with some external details would have sufficed. I am a glutton for punishment

IMG_3087_zps580116f1.jpg

the cuts in the midships area:

IMG_3079_zps1151773c.jpg

Opens up quite nicely and this area will house the main power inlet:

IMG_3081_zps8bb89193.jpg

I am now waiting for my pink LEDS to come in the mail, so one they're in that should be about it. I am trying to make it so the carrier deck can it on last, so hopefully, it'll work

I have all the components individually wired up to plugs and all will plug into a modified ribbon cable clamp.

IMG_3084_zpsbe8d8cdd.jpg

Also as a first for me, I have just bought myself a flasher board from a nice fellow over at BM. Never used one before, but he has programmed it for me so that's one less things I need to worry about - and it's small!!

Anyway, that's all I've done, but hopefully, things will pick up soon

Till then

MH

I did a quick lighting test and it seems my concerns about illuminating the sides is unfounded. It looks good to me. Lots of digging and cutting was performed to get the LED's in there. Might prove to be a challenge getting everything to go together though....

I took the opportunity to snap some pics while I thought of it:

IMG_3088_zpse5d64b0c.jpg

IMG_3090_zpsf6dee9b8.jpg

IMG_3091_zps53225065.jpg

Cheers

MH

quick update - have made the smaller hangar bay - or what ever it's meant to be. Nothing glued in yet as I'm still putting together the electronic parts, but I should be finished that soon

IMG_3105_zpsde86641e.jpg

IMG_3106_zps190b796c.jpg

IMG_3107_zpsb33888a1.jpg

IMG_3110_zpsc0d0056d.jpg

IMG_3112_zps4e071aaa.jpg

Kinda feels like I'm talking to myself here but I'll keep posting.

Cheers

MH

Hi everyone

Time to flood the boards again or at least provide a small update

I have got the forward section finished and ready to paint.

IMG_3128_zpsba0b14c3.jpg

IMG_3127_zpse1963063.jpg

IMG_3126_zps05ae4ad9.jpg

IMG_3125_zps61ec6067.jpg

Everything is wired up and ready to plug 'n go. I finished wiring up the power socket and will begin making a stand for it tonight.

Normally, these kinds of things are attached permanently to a stand, but this time I took a different route. I've done it so I can just simply unplug it and it's ready for transport.

The power supply will be a 9V underneath the base

IMG_3134_zps4ccabf2b.jpg

As you can see, all the sections will be plugged into that modified ribbon connector which makes life so much easier.

I was asked recently by someone if I could take some pics of it with something recognisable for scale effect, so as asked:

IMG_3129_zps45eaacc4.jpg

IMG_3132_zpsb7190d3c.jpg

IMG_3133_zps10be6e4f.jpg

And lastly, the rear nav lights are in place:

IMG_3136_zpsb8e81d87.jpg

Well, that's all for now. Please feel free to comment - good, bad or indifferent.

MH

thanks mate - Ii was beginning to wonder if anyone was actually reading these posts

I have made a start on the detailing of the hull. I won't go overboard as I like the sleek lines of the carrier but it does need somethin - just not too much

IMG_3138_zps122fc9b8.jpg

IMG_3140_zps42d06dba.jpg

IMG_3139_zps8b2b20e0.jpg

Doesn't look like much, but I've only just started

Cheers

MH

• 2 weeks later...

OK, time for an update - it's been a while. My pink LED's arrived on Friday night, so I spent some time last night installing them. I couldn't do anything else until they arrived, but now things are moving along again.

The vents at the back there are actually painted Tamiya dark iron - not that you can really tell:

IMG_3179_zps0ce4478e.jpg

IMG_3181_zpsf525a2ee.jpg

IMG_3184_zpse22c6af9.jpg

The carrier deck is now finished and painted. Hopefully, it;'s close enough to the correct color., I have sprayed some random replacement tiles around to break up the monotonous colour. And, even though it's hard to see, there are subtle variations to the base colour to add effect

IMG_3168_zps28105051.jpg

IMG_3174_zps8bb73713.jpg

IMG_3173_zpsaf855833.jpg

You can just see the lights on here:

IMG_3173_zpsaf855833.jpg

believe it or not, this side light (and a couple more up front) is actually green - but hard to tell in these pics. I will try shooting some pics tonight to give a better idea:

IMG_3175_zpsb21963e4.jpg

IMG_3177_zpsab20aca3.jpg

Anyway, that's all for now. I'm going to start externally detailing the hull shortly but may wait until the bridge has been cast in clear resin and constructed before I continue.

As always, thanks for stopping in

MH

thanks bud - I'm glad to see someone is actually watching this ;)

Well, may as well add some pics of where I am up to as of now. Spent quite a while yesterday filling in large seams and gaps. I have been using the tried and true method of filling in the gap with putty, letting it dry, then rubbing a cotton bud (Q-Tip for the non Australians) soaked in nail polish remover. Best way ever to achieve a a smooth surface without loosing surface detail:

IMG_3185_zps35094232.jpg

IMG_3192_zps1f17c19e.jpg

IMG_3190_zpsf139262f.jpg

Work has finished on the smaller "hangar bay" on the right side. I added some FO to it for some interest:

IMG_3186_zps0705fe1f.jpg

IMG_3195_zpsdbd01757.jpg

Will make a start on the hull detail tonight. It's now starting to look like a ship now :D

See you soon

MH