I remember that game, and absolutely loved it, even though I wasnt very good at it. I cant remember the name either unfortunately.

*edit* Was it Desert Strike? Just googled and found that. That was one of the games I really liked.

Edited by Adam Baker

There was a Nintendo game where you flew an Apache chopper around Iraq shooting up stuff. Each level was a different mission and the one mission that stands out to me is shooting garbage trucks in Baghdad that are carrying chemical weapons. If you ran low on fuel or weapons you'd need to find the 'crates' then hover above them and lift them to the chopper. The last mission was to shoot down Saddams plane before it left the runway. I played that game till I thought I'd go blind! I miss that one, can't recall the name of the game however.

I stopped playing console games once I got a PC, but I do break out the old stuff from time to time and about a month ago I set up my old N64 and have been playing from time to time. A nephew lost my Zelda game years ago but I've been killing time lately with Perfect Dark and a few of the Star Wars/racing games I still have.

Ken

A long time ago when I lived in the barracks down in Cecil Field, a guy down the hall from me had an N64, so the whole second floor would congrigate in his room. We palyed four person Mario Kart and drink beer, whoever finsihed a race last had to do a shot and give the controller to someone else. Needless to say, the longer we played, the longer the races took. We also played Goldeneye a lot.

Ahhh yes, somebody mentioned LHX. Fun PC computer game. I remember it was a game where you actually COULD fly 10,000 miles to smoke a camel (and they blow up really good when hit with a 30 MM chain gun). :D I also remember both F-19 and F-117 Stealth Fighter from Microprose quite well. It was always fun flying over an Iranian airbase to prey on hapless F-14s that try to come up and shoot you down while using as little cannon ammo as possible.

Well, since the subject seems to extend to old games that we USED TO play... I used to be absolutely addicted to F-19 Stealth Fighter too (on PC-XT with CGA, all of 4 colours!!!). When F-117 came out, I still played it a bit, just because of the VGA graphics, but the magic wasn't there anymore. I also remember fondly of Strike Commander, flying around in F-16s as mercenaries.

When I was a kid we had an Apple Laser, I had a game called Wings of Fury that I was hooked on. You had to fly a Hellcat over Pacific islands to get your crippled carrier home. As you got higher in levels, the more islands you had to nuetralize, and the more heavily defended they were. Once you got to the higher levels ships started showing up, first destroyers, then working your way up to battleships. That was a great game.

I used to play this game called N-Gen Racing all the time on my PS1. It's a racing game, but with fighter-class airplanes based off real-life examples (F-14s, Su-27s, F-22s, etc) instead of cars. It was really great fun because it so conveniently two of my favourite things. :D

Since we're reminiscing, how about old Arcade Cabs we all hold near and dear ...

For me ...

Star Castle

Asteroids Deluxe

Rally-X

Defender

TRON

Choplifter

Rush N Attack

Hat Trick

Star Wars Arcade

Championship Sprint

Street Fighter II

Street Fighter Alpha, 2 and 3

Night Warriors

Samurai Shodown iI and II

Mortal Kombat I and II and UMK3

Soul Edge

SEGA Rally Championship

SEGA GT

Virtua Cop I and II

Soul Calibur and II

X-Men Vs Street Fighter

Many more too ...

-Gregg

Never really was a console guy, all PC.....

The Unreal series of games where what really got me, Unreal Tournament probably being the best - it came along just as line speeds were becoming usable (in the UK anyway) & multiplayer gaming was kicking off, it made for some awesome online gaming - alt fire on the Flak Cannon usually sorted the adversaries out.

Other than that, the original Start Wars, sit down arcade machine was quite incredible for it's day, 3D vector graphics, dodgy music & all that...

Let's see, old games. We had a copy of F-15 Strike Eagle back in the mid 80s while we were switching over to the F-15. Then there was Infidel, Joust, Galagula and Asteroids, and the early Mech Warrior series.

I remember when Pong came out, but my kid still has our Atari 400 and 800 with the games.

I think there's something to be said for the simpler games, and I think game developers had to do more with less back in the day, making them more creative and focused more on gameplay than fancy graphics.

I remember playing F-15 Strike Eagle on my Atari 800 back in the day, and loving it.

But I have to admit it'd be tough to go back to this:

(you only need to watch about the first minute)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COXuDENwXlI

After playing this:

• 6 years later...
22 hours ago, Dafixer said:

Anybody remember Red Baron for PC? That was a great one.

Yes! Still have it, but I can't play it anywhere.

Even built an old Revell Fokker D.VII that was inspired by that game.

RBDVII001a.jpg