Werner's Wings/Storm Miniatures 1/35th MH-47E Online Build

Werner’s Wings/Storm Miniatures 1/35th MH-47E Conversion Online Build

WERNERSWINGS_1_zpsd8bf42cb.png

StormMiniaturesLogo_zpsea6ecf04.jpg

Sticker_MH-47E_zps0601a5c4.jpg

Before I even begin I’d like to personally thank some people who have helped make this project happen. First off and certainly the biggest reason for this conversion is the outstanding work of Andriy Bass from Storm Miniatures. Most of the work that you see here is his. Without him and his dedication this set would not have come to fruitition.

Then there is Norbert who did some CAD work that helped out immeasurably.

There are some people who are behind the scenes that either helped with casting and with information. You know who you are. Thanks for your expertise in casting. Thanks to the guys who provided information and for your service. This set is dedicated to you and your fellow Night Stalkers.

It is time to start building the Werner’s Wings/Storm Miniatures 1/35th MH-47E Conversion for the Trumpeter CH-47D. Many have asked if they can use the CH-47A, unfortunately no you can’t, the rear pylon is totally different.

Here is a picture of the Werner’s Wings/Storm Miniatures Conversion set

WernersWingsMH-47EConversionPartsPhoto_zps89430edc.jpg

Here is the list of what I have so far for the build.

Trumpeter 1/35th scale CH-47D

Werner’s Wings/Storm Miniatures MH-47E Super Conversion

Eduard CH-47D Cargo Seats

Cobra Company Aft Pylon Upgrade

Cobra Company CH-47D Upgrade

Legends M-134 and Master Barrels Turned metal barrels. I have listed these two until Live Resin releases their remarkable sets for this conversion.

Aluminum tubing ¼” by 19” long. I used K&S but any aluminum tubing will work. It MUST be aluminum.

TheWholeConversion_zps08009ba9.jpg

There will be some scratch building that the modeler will have to do but we’ve tried to keep that to an absolute minimum. Obviously any conversion of this magnitude is only recommended for experienced modelers.

Before I began I looked over the photos and there are some things that can be done prior to even receiving the conversion set. Things in red need to be removed by cutting and sanding. Items in black are either a place for a conversion part or are panels that need to be added by rescribing. All of these things are easier to do now while the parts are separate.

Starting on the left side. The forward fuselage requires removal of a few antenna mounts.

ForwardFuselageLeftSide_zps60a577a1.jpg

Mid to aft fuselage. The big thing here is the removal of the bumps for the ‘clothesline’ HF antenna mounts. The MH-47 has a smaller antenna.

MidFuselagePartstoremove_zps2e2671a6.jpg

Left side Aft Pylon.

This requires some rescribing on the panel lines. The grill needs to be filled. There are also a bunch of parts that will eventually go on back here. This area will be built up shortly so you can see what gets added and what gets filled.

PylonPanelsLeftSide_zps27212266.jpg

An item that may or may not be there on your particular model is the enlarged rear windows. I’m going to add them to both sides so you can see how it is done. I have pictures that show bulged round windows on both side, some with just a single window on the right side, and finally both sides with the enlarged windows. So either check your references or go with what you are comfortable with. Personally the ‘norm’ appears to be both enlarged.

RearWindowRightCutout_zpsc59ed65a.jpg

Now onto the Right side

The forward fuselage, including the door. There are just a few panels that will need to be removed and some added. A grab handle will have to be added to one spot.

FuselageRightSideFrontPanels_zpsd71e70f1.jpg

Here is a close up of where the mounts for the hoist belong.

HoistMountlocations_zps101694d9.jpg

Same goes for this enlarged window

RearWindowLeftOutline_zps3be75a19.jpg

Then there is the upper pylon. Same as before this will be developed as we get involved in the conversion

PylonPanelsRightSide_zps597373e2.jpg

Following as well.

FYI, the Live Resin Miniguns are exceptional but I did replace the barrels with those from RB Barrel's of Poland for their finesse (this for an OH-6A build). I do have the Legends minigun and it pales in comparison to the Live Resin product.

Regards,

Unfortunately this project is well beyond my wife-imposed modeling budget, so I will be eagerly awaiting more of Floyd's updates.

My way around my CFO's (wife's) limit is to sell off some of my stash for what I need. She is always happy to see boxes leave!

As for this build, I simply do not have the room for it.

Regards,

With its odd looking expanded fairings, the MH-47E is not the prettiest heli flying, but it is a Nightstalker ship so it automatically qualifies as being cool. A 1/35th model of one getting the Floyd treatment should be the mutt's nuts. Please finish it as a heavily-weathered, bin Laden-huntin' A-Stan ship. Factory-fresh just won't do! :thumbsup:

LD.

Nice start...now, all those areas you have marked with black pen...will it be added to the resin set as a template for us to use and help? TIA

Mike

Most are on panel lines. I will show you what they are like when they are completed. This gives you an idea of some of the things to be added.

Floyd

There we go... registered. :D/>

I'm SO looking forward to this build!

I've started some of the preliminary work and just waiting for the upgrade kit to show up.

If anybody needs the aluminum tubing for the probe, just let me know. I'm going to have extra that I can cut to length.

"One and Two to Flight!"

sounds like a good plan , lets talk a deal.

A bit of bad news today from Live Resin. Seems their armament sets have been delayed for 3-4 weeks.

Floyd

Geesh I feel bad cause I think one of the guys from Live-Resin contacted me about measurements on the fifty cal and minis on our 60's. I started the process but with government shutdown, furloughs, and I broke my ankle in training accident(three weeks in bed) , nothing has been done. If I am part of the problem I sincerely apologize to all. Life is divine chaos

Geesh I feel bad cause I think one of the guys from Live-Resin contacted me about measurements on the fifty cal and minis on our 60's. I started the process but with government shutdown, furloughs, and I broke my ankle in training accident(three weeks in bed) , nothing has been done. If I am part of the problem I sincerely apologize to all. Life is divine chaos

Shite Happens. LOL

Floyd

Update #2

I decided to work on the aft pylon which would require some work

The first thing I did was to fill the holes on select panels which are unique to the MH-47. Then using a beading tool, (http://www.fdjtool.com/ProductInfo/53.2E_160.aspx) which is significantly cheaper than other ‘rivetting tools’, to replicate the fasteners on the panels. This was followed up by some scribing access panels around the pylon and using a needle to create the screw heads. I think I could have used some Archer rivets if I chose to do so. I like the effect as it is.

Pylon Parts added

IMG_0468_zps352e300e.jpg

I filled the holes for the HF antenna that is different on this aircraft with superglue and accelerator once the proud part of the antenna mount was removed.

Then the first parts of the conversion were added to the pylon, the AVR-2, APR-39, CMWS antennas and the lifting point. Fit of these parts is simple as they are just added to the surface with superglue.

The square aft window, which is much larger on the MH-47 than a normal CH-47, had to be created. The first thing I did was to chain drill the area that I had measured out. Just for those who are anal retentive, the window is 42 inches long and 27.75 inches high in real life according to my measurements. Your mileage may vary. The window sits slightly lower than the round window. Once the chain drilling was done the part was cut out with nippers. Clean up starts with a BAF (Big A** File). This keeps the surface flat. I was able to use it on all sides but it made the corners square which was not what I was after. I then mixed up some Apoxy Sculpt and smushed it in the corners. A knife blade holder was moistened slightly and pressed into the corner. This has the effect of rounding off the corner and making sure that all four corners are the same. A sharp knife blade was used to trim away any excess Apoxy Sculpt. This was then left to dry overnight. A couple of swipes with a fine sanding stick will blend the corners once dry.

Chain Drilled Window

IMG_0466_zps6f81e0c9.jpg

Cleaned Up Window

IMG_0467_zpsc9aed179.jpg

Finished Left Side Pylon

IMG_0469_zpsf1a78318.jpg

On the inside of the fuselage, some Apoxy Sculpt was used to fill the remains of the window. Then a saw was used to finish off the insolation blanket pattern on the wall.

That is all of this side. I’ll start to work on the right side now.

Question Floyd: What are we going to use the 19 inch aluminum rod for? I had assumed refueling probe but I don't think the scale is right at 19 inches.

Please correct me if I'm wrong or tell me to shut my yap if needs be.

Yes the measurement I have equates to 19 inches for the fuel probe. PM me better info if you have it available

Floyd

Floyd,

I might be wrong, but the probe suppose to be 16' 4'' long in real life... Which makes it 140 mm long in 1/35 scale or 5.6 inch

....correction (those are measurements for sticking out part of the probe beyond the aircraft length)

the full length of the probe itself should be 29 feet and 5 inches in length with a 9-inch outer tube diameter. That makes it 252 mm or 10 inch long in 1/35 scale

and it is fixed, not retractable like on Pave Hawk...

Andy

Edited by Intruder_bass