Werner's Wings/Storm Miniatures 1/35th MH-47E Online Build

Loving what you're doing here Floyd. The back end is really starting to look like a chook! Does the cobra interior set come with an APU? Are you going to retain the kit soundproofing or do you have another alternative? I love the big square windows at the back, I wish ours had them. It'd certainly make my life easier :)/>/>/>

keep up the great work,

Craig

p.s. Not that it matters, but that big cylindrical object next to the aft transmission access panels (the bomb) actually sits inside the aft transmission area and so is not visible when the doors are closed except for a pressure gauge on the other side. Still, it adds some more interest to a very busy area. I've got plenty of photos of this area. It's from a D model, but most of the stuff is pretty much the same down the back as far as hydraulic installation goes I believe, so if you need any for reference let me know.

I would love to get photos up in that area on both sides of the transmission. I didn't know where that cylinder went. Best guess. I'll pull it off. I just need to find out the wiring and hydraulic lines where they go and where they come from. That upper area is a tough pace to find photos.

The Cobra Company does have the APU and the mount. I just won't put it in until after the fuselage halves are joined. I was going to use the kit soundproofing but I do have some wine/ champagne wrappers that have the pattern. Where should I put it?

You can email me at fwernerjr@comcast.net

Floyd

Edited by Floyd S. Werner, Jr.
  • 2 weeks later...

Update 10-The interior

After cleaning up the roof to remove the molded on detail it was time to add the Cobra Company framing set. I don’t think this set is available anymore. I did this process without the aft portion attached to the fuselage. It just made it easier to handle. I just followed the instructions to get the vertical parts in place. I elected to cut the parts in half as it would be easier to deal with. This required me to fill the small gap between the cuts. Here is what it looks like with the parts installed. I used styrene plugs to cover the joins. Most are from the backside but the first two are on both the front and backside as they are seen both ways.

IMG_0724_zpsf58576a0.jpg

Before I installed the horizontal supports for the seats and anything else I thought it was time to add the aft pylon to the fuselage. This wasn’t difficult as long as you take your time and make sure the fit is good. I flat sanded the ends to make sure they fit well. Then it was a matter of clamping and gluing the parts together. There was very little need for filler.

Here are the frames after the front and back have been joined.

IMG_0725_zps8af95660.jpg

And just to make sure that it all fits properly and to motivate me I taped the fuselage halves together.

IMG_0721_zps4a685bf0.jpg

Now I thought was a good time to add the external fuel tanks. I knew I had to support the weight of them and the model. The tanks are unfortunately heavy because of the shape and casting. Test fitting them revealed a slight problem. The tanks are slightly short. It is important to align the tanks properly at the front and at the rear round window. Here is what I mean.

IMG_0726_zps3c2036df.jpg

If you align the front the window is off. I’m not going to say it is blank mm short as your mileage may vary do to the sanding of the fuselage halves. Either way, I came up with a relatively easy fix. I cut the fuel tank in half. Aft of the pump assembly, which while I’m thinking about it, I’m sorry there is a bubble there. It is on everyone’s copy. Mine included. It is a limitation in the molding process. You will have to repair it. Sorry. Anyhow back to the cut. I used a saw and separated the pieces.

IMG_0728_zps4b005d99.jpg

Once the tank was in two pieces I simply added styrene to get it to the proper length. I used some clamps and a BAF (big a* file). My BAF is very straight so I simply clamped it to file. This made sure that there was no twist in the tank and that they were aligned along the bottom, which in theory should align everything. While the tank was attached to the file I put a horizontal support on the backside of the tank. There is plenty of room and you’ll never see it so you don’t have to be especially neat. I then drilled four holes for wire support, two in front and two aft of the cut. This held everything in place. Then it was as any other seam, filler, sand and repeat. If you do it properly it should look like this.

IMG_0731_zps80307655.jpg

Then it is just a matter of checking the size against the model. IMG_0732_zps17eced34.jpg

Getting the tank to attach to the fuselage is pretty easy. I drilled four holes in inconspicuous spots, two below the floor line and then some mid fuselage that you probably won’t be able to see. You’ll note the aft most ones are near the bulkheads. This will hide it from the back and will allow me to add stuff (seats or gear) to cover the holes.

IMG_0736_zps16424c31.jpg

IMG_0734_zps5e500ffe.jpg

I attached the wire through the holes and attached the studs with epoxy. I let it dry overnight and then I’ll go back in with super glue and Apoxy Sculpt and fair the tank in. Repeat for the other side.

It is starting to look like a behemoth that it is. This ain’t your father’s Chinook anymore.

Looking good so far. Too bad the internal ribs are no longer available...

Wonder if Chris Miller/Cobra Company may allow the drawings to be published?? could possibly be made out of Sheet Styrene?

Cheers

Looking good so far. Too bad the internal ribs are no longer available...

could possibly be made out of Sheet Styrene?

Cheers

anything can be made out of Styrene! just takes time... a lot of time!

rampframes5.jpg

the rest of the inside walls could be covered with soundproof material. No really need to make all the frames exposed.

IMG_1541.jpg

Good luck!

anything can be made out of Styrene! just takes time... a lot of time!

rampframes5.jpg

the rest of the inside walls could be covered with soundproof material. No really need to make all the frames exposed.

IMG_1541.jpg

Good luck!

Andriy I love your work. I need to send you a check. Maybe we should have done the ramp area. LOL

Floyd

• 2 weeks later...

Update 11- Sit down but still not happy

I had the framework in and now it was time to put some seats down. I had the Cobra Company resin seats and the Eduard photo etch ones. I liked them both but finally decided on the Eduard ones. Folding them was easy enough with a Small Tool Company Folding Tool. Here are some photos of the seats.

IMG_0757_zps6b113b31.jpg

Test fitting the seats to the floor

IMG_0761_zps9d327f7f.jpg

There are more sets coming but I wanted to get a ‘feel’ of how they would look

IMG_0759_zps6012f1f5.jpg

Well after getting the interior framing in there and talking with some Night Stalkers they informed me that there was always insulation in the cabin. So now what to do? So I took to drinking. Then after literally dreaming about how to accomplish this for two nights, the drinking hit me. Martini & Rossi Asti Spumante has foil around their bottles and it looks like a quilt pattern on it. BINGO! In a drunken and sleep deprived state of mind I concocted how to make this happen, but I better test it before I screw the model up.

I was never real happy with the avionics shelf as had been pointed out on ARC, that is normally covered with insulation blankets. I tore out the shelves as they would no longer be used and covered the area with plastic card and foil. I figured if it worked on the plastic card it would work the other way. Just in case I screwed up too bad I could always get another one from my other kit. Thank God, I liked it. I did find out after gluing it in place that I should have left the shelves in and rolled the insulation down to reveal the avionics. Oh well live and learn. It is staying like this, but you can do whatever you like.

IMG_0763_zpsd3417d9b.jpg

Now it was time to see if the ceiling and side walls could be covered in insulation. The framework would work to my advantage and provide the mounts for the insulation. Since I would now have relief in the cabin I needed to make up the area where the first aid kits and the ramp controls would be positioned. The insulation attaches to them so they needed to be thicker than normal. I scratch built a couple of rectangular boxes out of .030 x .100 plastic strip. Then just attached and glued them in place. Here you can see the resulting areas.

IMG_0981_zpscf09b208.jpg

The insulation itself is easy enough. First use tracing paper and measure and cut to the shape that you need between the frames. I broke it down into an upper and a lower insulation blankets. It looked right to me. Once the shape is good on the paper then double sided tape was added to it and on top of that the bottle foil was added. Make sure to orient the pattern the same on all the blankets. Attach them the blankets with super glue. VIOLA! I tried to not use an area with the name or stamp on it but there are some places where I said f it. It is in the middle and damn near impossible to tell. My liver can only do so much work. Another benefit of the insulation was that any holes I made for the fuel cell mounts were now covered with no additional filling.

IMG_0984_2_zps9d4e24c6.jpg

Now that I had a sandwich it was time to fit the first pieces. Here they are installed with a first aid kit just sitting in position to see if it would look right. I'm very happy that it does, at least to me anyhow.

IMG_0982_zps05f1cefa.jpg

Another essential part would be that the insulation fits around the windows. You will have to glue in the windows now. Make sure you use the correct windows for the aircraft you are building. Normally, and I hate to use that with TF160th aircraft, the first two windows are flat, then the aft round window is the bulged type, followed by the rectangular one. I cut a piece of the foil and did not do the sandwich, maybe I should have, but with just the foil rolled around something of suitable size (15mm). I placed it in place and when I was happy with the set up I used white glue to hold it in place. Perfect. Well perfect to my mind’s eye. The rectangular widow presented the most unique challenge as the insulation blanket flares out to meet the framework on the kit tail. Nothing too bad. I used four pieces and cut them tapered then bent to fit. I was really happy.

IMG_0983_zpsa85dc6c3.jpg

Now it was just a matter of doing the entire side. Here is the right side as I still have to do the left one. You get the idea though. Any stuff that was longer on the bottom I trimmed with a brand new blade.

IMG_0999_zps48ae6810.jpg

IMG_0997_zpse284aaab.jpg

It is now time to do the left side the same way. Once I’m done with the left side, I will add .010 plastic ‘dots’ that are used to attach the blankets. I’ll also add some removable panels of insulation. Those are just scabbed on the existing blankets.

The Live Resin pieces should be here by the time I finish the insulation and then things will be progressing quickly. I’ll have to prime and paint the interior shortly after working with the Live Resin gun mounts. Don’t forget to mask the windows first, that could be disastrous. We’ll start dealing with more of the MH-47 conversion soon. Things like the weather radar boom and the in-flight refueling boom will cause me some more sleepless nights. Stay tuned.

For some reason I didn't see the interior shot that Intruder Bass posted. He is obviously a much better scratchbuilder than me. LOL I wish I had seen it to make mine like his or at least something close to it. His work is impeccible and flawless. My work looks toylike in comparison. LOL My hat is off to the master.

Floyd

Edited by Floyd S. Werner, Jr.

For some reason I didn't see the interior shot that Intruder Bass posted. He is obviously a much better scratchbuilder than me. LOL I wish I had seen it to make mine like his or at least something close to it. His work is impeccible and flawless. My work looks toylike in comparison. LOL My hat is off to the master.

Floyd

Well, mine will look childish compared to yours and not even close to being in the same league as Andy's. And, since I don't drink, I'll have to get one of you lushes to send me some bottle foil. Or I could buy the bottles and send them on to you guys without the foil on them.

Well, mine will look childish compared to yours and not even close to being in the same league as Andy's. And, since I don't drink, I'll have to get one of you lushes to send me some bottle foil. Or I could buy the bottles and send them on to you guys without the foil on them.

I'll gladly drink them for you. LOL

Floyd

Here is another trick you can use to make the soundproofing yourself. Aluminium foil from K&S (or any other supplier) was used as a base. Metal ruler and pin vise with needle is all you need!

th_soundproofing1.jpg

th_soundproofing2.jpg

Cheers!

Andy

Andy,

I only wish I could manage 1/10 of your level of patience!

Ray