Werner's Wings/Storm Miniatures 1/35th MH-47E Online Build

• 3 weeks later...

Can't let this get to far behind...so, friendly bump and hoping for another update soon :rolleyes:/>/>

Mike

Thanks. I had to build a 1/72nd scale AH-1F for review. I was only seven months behind. LOL I'm almost finished with that then it is back on this. Although the Live Resin weapons have arrived. I've also got most of the things I need for the cargo area. Just need to find two more folding chairs from the Tamiya Command Group figure set. Anybody have that set that they'd like to sell?

Floyd

Hi Floyd,

Great job on tackling the soundproofing, especially around the windows. I remember that being quite tricky on my build too. I also think your approach to doing each sides soundproofing is a good one. I tired to do it like the real thing and in one piece across the cabin from the top of each seat rail…… very hard to do and not recommended! You're certainly crafting a fine representation of a chinook interior!

Craig

Thanks. I had to build a 1/72nd scale AH-1F for review. I was only seven months behind. LOL I'm almost finished with that then it is back on this. Although the Live Resin weapons have arrived. I've also got most of the things I need for the cargo area. Just need to find two more folding chairs from the Tamiya Command Group figure set. Anybody have that set that they'd like to sell?

Floyd

Did you post said question in the Spare Parts forum?

Just an FYI, the Live Resin set for the M-134s only comes with one ammo can, not two as shown. You'll need the spare ammo cans.

By the way, ordering direct from them even with shipping is as good, if not better, than ordering from Sprue Brothers and they are always in stock.

Floyd

Edited by Floyd S. Werner, Jr.
  • 2 weeks later...

Update 12

Sorry it has been a while since I updated. Medical and family issues are the typical detractors. I also had to finish a review build in there, but now I’m back on the build.

I finally got both sides of the fuselage insulated. Overall I’m pretty happy with the results. I finally got the Eduard Photo Etch seats built. I built them too long but didn’t figure that out until after I was test fitting. Better now than when they are glued in. I tested my first bit of soldering on the legs. I was happy with the results. I need more practice though.

IMG_1116_zps132d82c4.jpg

Here is my second attempt at soldering, a Stokes litter completely scratch built. This was a fun six hour exercise. I learned a lot and will have to do it again. Yes I know it isn’t perfect, however, once filled up you can’t notice the framework. It just looks cool. I’m doing Razor 1 from Takur Gar and I’m not sure if the Stokes was used or a Skedco. For my model I will have a Stokes litter.

IMG_1117_zps372dba45.jpg

IMG_1118_zps592d29bc.jpg

Part of the MH-47E’s cabin area will be occupied with equipment. Here is a load of things I have set up for the model. This was a mild detraction and well spent time. I could not have gotten some of this stuff if it wasn’t for some friends on the internet who hooked me up with some of the items or at least pointed me in the right direction.

Some of you will notice the folding chairs. I have a source that says they are used by the gunners. Should be interesting. I’ve learned a lot about this helicopter. I’ll try to point out the things that you’ll find cool too. So I’ll have a water cooler, tool box, four folding chairs, water cans, medical bags, back board, Stokes, stretchers (one folded and hanging and the other opened under the Stokes), two storage boxes, a couple of M-4s, four 40mm ammo cans which are used for the extra ammo for the M-134. Speaking of M-134s, Razor 1 did not have the extra battery pack or the extra M-134 can. They used the 40mm cans. While I’m thinking of it, Razor 1 also had an M-60 at the rear windows, not an M-249. Same mounts but different guns. Razor 1 also had a ramp M-60 with spade grips. I’ll make those additions as I go along. That reminds me of yet another point, 475 had a rectangular window on the right side and a round bulged window on the left. I will have to live with my two rectangular windows.

IMG_1122_zps52368e19.jpg

Here are the seats with the seatbelts installed. I opted to make them all the low style, instead of over the shoulder. I did this thinking that operators would have a lot of crap and a shoulder strap would get caught on everything. I started to use the Eduard seatbelts but found that they couldn’t be folded realistically enough for me. So I made my own belts out of masking tape. This would have been easier if they weren’t a dark green color. Anyhow that was easy enough to handle with some paint. I liked the look of the seats and belts. Now if they will just fit as well as they look.

Left side

IMG_1139_zps75462385.jpg

Right side

IMG_1140_zpscc908054.jpg

In model building you can replicate or represent when scratchbuilding. In this instance I elected to represent the wiring and tubes. Solder or tubing was used to make the lines. I’m overall happy with the results. Andriy’s ramp area will replicate it but I just don’t have the time or patience for that.

IMG_1144_zps6b507354.jpg

Here is a close up of the aft end with the caution and warning decals in place. The first aid kits look the part as does the ramp control which is a leftover cyclic. All these decals, plus more, will be available from Werner’s Wings in the Night Stalkers Part 2 decals. These decals were made for me by Joseph Osborn from Fireball Modelworks because I couldn’t wait for the new decals. By the way, they will definitely be available at the Nats. If you are building an 1/35th scale Werner’s Wings/Storm Miniatures MH-47E and want to get it done for the Nats, let me know. If I can get you the decals in time I will, but no promises.

Here I’m test fitting the seats to see how they look in place. The tops still need to be folded down an secured in place.

IMG_1151_zps80d89120.jpg

With that you are brought up to date. I’ll start the Live Resin bits soon. I want to finish the right side fuselage plumbing and wiring first. It is coming along and almost ready to join halves. This is getting exciting. I have to make notes for myself so I don’t forget to do stuff before I shut up the fuselage. I know a lot of this stuff won’t be seen again but I know its in there and as accurate as I can make it.

All of the seat belts are the "lap" style. The only shoulder belts are on the pilot seats... The "shoulder look" on the troop seats is just for storage.

11bee, no the folding chairs do not get strapped to the floor. The crew dogs are secured to the helicopter via their "monkey tails."

Both left and right side have the round "bulged" window on the second window from the aft. 475 had the rectangular window mod on the aft right window but not on the aft left.

If you guys think I'm sharp shooting I apologize.... Floyd knows my motivation.... and, it's not critical. Just trying to help the project along.

Update 13

Just a quick update. I installed the left side seats. I initially thought this was going to be a pain but it was actually pretty easy. I’m really happy with the seats on this side. Time to work on the other side.

IMG_1153_zps7d6ad5c1.jpg

Here you can see how the decals, first aid kits, and hoist control add to the visual interest.

IMG_1155_zps039b8f33.jpg

How does it look from the outside? Pretty realistic if you ask me.

IMG_1156_zps9c0b21fd.jpg

IMG_1157_zps28a9e697.jpg