Hobby Boss 1/48 A-6A Intruder

Actually yes. I've installed the 'pit into the fuselage and have closed the halves. The fit is pretty darn good but there are a few spots that will need addressing. I've also assembled several sub-assemblies such as the wings, landing gear, pylons etc. I'll upload photos when I can.

Mark

Looks like the fuselage closed up nicely. Did the parts just want to do that, or was dry-fitting required?

As for the NLG...that's quite a difference in detail and the Kinetic part is quite a bit larger!

What's your take on the size difference?

1. Kinetic got all of it right, and the HB part is undersized in addition to less detailed
  2. HB got the size right because Kinetic's built-up part achieved detail at the cost of over-scale
  3. There are plenty of mistakes to go around...

I assume you're sticking with the HB NLG?

Looks like the fuselage closed up nicely. Did the parts just want to do that, or was dry-fitting required?

As for the NLG...that's quite a difference in detail and the Kinetic part is quite a bit larger!

What's your take on the size difference?

1. Kinetic got all of it right, and the HB part is undersized in addition to less detailed
  2. HB got the size right because Kinetic's built-up part achieved detail at the cost of over-scale
  3. There are plenty of mistakes to go around...

I assume you're sticking with the HB NLG?

Yup, the fit was rather good. In fact, most of the sub-assemblies which I have completed fit without too much effort.

Actually the "larger" NLG assembly is the HB one. The skinny under-detailed one is the one by Kinetic.

I'm not too sure about the accuracy though. It'd be better if someone who is in the know could comment on that.

Mark

Edited by gb_madcat_sl
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark,

How's the kit coming along? I'm still trying to get this HB kit.

Still on it though it's a little slow. I've recently added the wings and refueling probe. Just need to paint and install the intakes and exhausts and she'll be ready for the paint barn.

Will get photos soon.

Mark

Ploughing through this one slowly. I've added the inner wings, intakes and exhausts. Spent the rest of the time building the sub-assemblies. The Mk.82s and MERs are from the Hasegawa weapon set. I'll be loading this one up with 12 Mk.82s and 3 drop tanks. Should be sufficient against a suspected truck park.

HB_A-6A_013.jpg

HB_A-6A_014.jpg

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Mark, That is looking real good so far. Are you going for one of the schemes in the box, or something else in mind for markings? I am really considering this as my Christmas gift, and stumbled onto your build, and I think it has convinced me. I don't like to struggle with my builds any more, and it looks like it was a painless build for you so far.

Look forward to seeing paint on her.

Cheers

Brad

it's looking really nice, can't wait for the A-6E to come out.

Question about the kit: are the spoilers on the outer wing done separately? They typically drop down when the wings are folded.

Yes they are. But you'll probably need to do some work to get them at the right angle. They're either depicted fully extended or fully retracted in the kit.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great paint job Mark, could you tell me which paint you used for the nose as it looks spot on.

Kind regards, Sven.

Hi Sven. I used Mr Color's Radome (C318) for the nose.

And decaling has commenced. I'm using Fightertown Decals' Colorfull Intruders Pt 1 sheet.

As with all Cartograf-printed sheets, they settled well with Mr Mark Softer. However, the decals are sized a little too large for this kit. This became especially obvious when I tried to squeeze the tail markings and BuNo on the fin. I had to use a bit of creative placing in order to get them to fit.

So far only the port side has been done.

HB_A-6A_017.jpg

Mark