Lockheed Unveils SR-71 Successor

Shirley there's no way they can launch ordnance at Mach 6?!

Looks a lot like the shuttle replacements they tossed around. I take it this will be manned and have to question at this point what's the use for an aircraft like this? Satellites, drones, and newer bombs and missiles mean less of a need for this type of aircraft no?

Is there a need for an aircraft like this? And how much is this going to cost taxpayers?

ha ha! Oh... that's a good one. Sigh.

Yeah - those are two very good questions that industry lobbiests and their fully funded political office holders really don't care about.

"Unveiled?" They didn't "unveil" anything - they released a few drawings of something that they want to build, at taxpayers' expense, that may or may not be something that can be built and successfully operated, and affordable.

My $0.02 is that it looks like a Lockheed pipe dream...

Edited by Joe Hegedus

And it's not even April 1st! That thing looks more like a second generation space shuttle than an airplane; there is also something of a Luft '46 sub-orbital design about it...looks cool in a minimalist way, but as mentioned, can anyone afford this kinda plaything these days? :wacko:/>

Edited by ChippyWho

I could see a need for such an aircraft. Satellites for one have the limitations of well known orbits. The X-37B Orbital Test vehicle which pretty much has been revealed to be an intelligence asset may have the capability of changing orbits, but that doesn't hide the fact that amatuer spacecraft watchers can usually pin down its orbit within a few days of it being changed. One thing we've lacked since the SR-71 is the capability for overflight on relatively short notice. Granted satellite imagery had gotten to the point where the it matched what the SR-71s systems could do when the SR was finally retired, but it still had some limitations.

As for strike capability, something like this wouldn't even need to carry explosive warheads. Just drop off a kinetic kill vehicle of some sort and let it go penetrating a high value target at high mach speeds and let the energy released on impact do the damage. Besides, a manned system would have excellent advantages over drones, which COULD be jammed. And at the speed and altitude this one is capable of flying at, could anything short of a particle beam kill it?

"Unveiled?" They didn't "unveil" anything - they released a few drawings of something that they want to build, at taxpayers' expense, that may or may not be something that can be built and successfully operated, and affordable.

Affordable? Anything's affordable when your not footing the bill.........

You are quite correct, sir.

http://news.usni.org/2013/11/05/lockheed-martin-sr-72-plane-paper

"unveiling" concept art isn't the same thing? :D

Absolutely PATHETIC. You mean to tell me, that since 1962 (51 years ago) when the A12 first flew and after trillions of dollars spent on black projects, THAT is the succesor to the SR-71? HA!

The director of Skunkworks himself said a long time ago, that we now have the technology to take ET home.

There are USA built aircraft right now, that all of us reading this forum won't live long enough to know about.

Edited by pookie