Nasa Pre-Group Build Warm-up

Hey all. I don't know if you all know but there is going to be a NASA group build coming up in March. Here is a link to the poll thread about it;

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=268028&st=20

So, I don't know what's the normal procedure, but I figured I'd start a warm-up thread here. So anybody got any great plans yet? I have a lot of possible builds I want to do for this one. I'm thinking about a NASA M-113 escape vehicle. Or I may do another astronaut or... a Vomit Comet...or an S-3 or a T-38 or or or...oh my!, this is gonna be good! So who all is up for it? What are YOUR plans? Get creative. Do something that nobody else would think to do. Or do something that everybody would think to do...it's all up to you.

Bill

Way ta go Bill! ... a NASA Group Build eh? ... I've been in a build funk for a year or so now and my local club has just started a UFO contest ... Un Finished Objects and I'm gonna use this to get my year-old threads active again ... but a Group Buld in March you say ... :hmmm:

I've got a few models ... like maybe a 1/72 Shuttle with Gil's resin ... and include a Hubble ... hm-m-m-m ...I'll give it some thought.

Pete

I'm thinking a Gemini Titan stack - picked up the 1/72 RealSpace kit a month or so ago and want to get going on it, but have held off to clear off some of the other projects that are on the bench. With luck, I'm heading back to KSC in a few weeks so I should be able to get some more reference pics (I'll have to figure out what I didn't photograph the last time I was there).

Of course, all bets are off if someone releases an injected mold 1/48 scale Saturn I SA-5.... (one can dream, right?)

• 2 months later...

Regarding this NASA "2 Degrees of Separation" build, does the subject need to be something that is closely but indirectly related to NASA? Or can it also be something directly related to NASA like a NASA manned spacecraft?

Regarding this NASA "2 Degrees of Separation" build, does the subject need to be something that is closely but indirectly related to NASA? Or can it also be something directly related to NASA like a NASA manned spacecraft?

It most definitely can be directly a NASA vehicle. I suspect a majority of the builds will be actual NASA spacecraft such as shuttles, Apollo etc... and that's fine! I just wanted to open it up to other build genres as well, as long as it related to NASA. If you want to build a shuttle, that's awesome! go for it. If you want to build John Glen's bicycle he rode while training for his mission, that would be great as well (provided you could prove that's what it really is by providing pictures or documents stating that his bike looked like your model and was used for NASA training) Hopefully in some of the more obscure related builds we'll all learn something new about one of the greatest agencies this country has ever had. That's my take on it anyway.

So good luck and get ready.

Bill

Edited by niart17

With the announcement that Sierra Nevada corp has apparently bought an Atlas V to launch an orbital test flight of their Dreamchaser lifting body (hopefully) in November 2016, I have been collecting research to turn one of my Blap Models 1/72 HL-20 kits into a proper Dreamchaser and possibly scratchbuild an Atlas V for it. Even though NASA apparently won't be directly involved in the Dreamchaser flight itself, the model should qualify since the Dreamchaser came from NASA Langley's HL-20 concept and it is a contender for NASA's commercial manned vehicle contract (plus NASA will likely provide space tracking support as well). There are a few differences between Dreamchaser and HL-20, but nothing I can't handle. Indeed I've ordered another HL-20 kit to use as a spare in case I mess up the one I plan to modify.

I may start work on the Dreamchaser before March. But the Atlas V likely won't start until then. I've got a paper model downloaded. I just need to see what is needed to double its size (it is 1/144 scale and I need 1/72) and convert the major sub-assemblies into something more durable.

Other possible projects could involve other lifting bodies such as the HL-10, the M2s and the X-38 CRV as I have resin and vac kits for all these subjects.

Edited by Jay Chladek

With the announcement that Sierra Nevada corp has apparently bought an Atlas V to launch an orbital test flight of their Dreamchaser lifting body (hopefully) in November 2016, I have been collecting research to turn one of my Blap Models 1/72 HL-20 kits into a proper Dreamchaser and possibly scratchbuild an Atlas V for it. Even though NASA apparently won't be directly involved in the Dreamchaser flight itself, the model should qualify since the Dreamchaser came from NASA Langley's HL-20 concept and it is a contender for NASA's commercial manned vehicle contract (plus NASA will likely provide space tracking support as well). There are a few differences between Dreamchaser and HL-20, but nothing I can't handle. Indeed I've ordered another HL-20 kit to use as a spare in case I mess up the one I plan to modify.

I may start work on the Dreamchaser before March. But the Atlas V likely won't start until then. I've got a paper model downloaded. I just need to see what is needed to double its size (it is 1/144 scale and I need 1/72) and convert the major sub-assemblies into something more durable.

Other possible projects could involve other lifting bodies such as the HL-10, the M2s and the X-38 CRV as I have resin and vac kits for all these subjects.

Awesome Jay! Yes bring them on. I'd say any private company that is contracted to service NASA, either the ISS or any other future NASA endeavor would definitely qualify. I can't wait to see what you start on.

Bill

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! Yes, something that I would have never thought was tied to NASA and there it is. It even has National Aeronautical and Space Administration on it's side. Perfect!

Keep the ideas coming.

Bill

Edited by niart17

I might just build '63 Pontiac Catalina. How cool would that be?

EC92-04152.jpg

So THAT's what you mean??!! Okay-y-y ... now I've got a better handle on this GB!

johnlove ... what a terrific, outta-the-box idea! :woot.gif: ... and how cool would that be??? 10 outta 10 ... that's how cool! :thumbsup:

Pete

So THAT's what you mean??!! Okay-y-y ... now I've got a better handle on this GB!

johnlove ... what a terrific, outta-the-box idea! :woot.gif:/> ... and how cool would that be??? 10 outta 10 ... that's how cool! :thumbsup:/>

Pete

Yes, but keep in mind that it can still be a model of a space shuttle or Saturn V. It doesn't have to be obscure. I just think it's cool finding the obscure things as well.

Bill

Here is a project I may decide to attempt. I have a 1/25 scale Revell Hummer I was going to make into a brush fire truck. But this thing is just too cool to not want to do and would be perfect for this group build. I'm starting to try to find more information on it now so if I can find enough I think I'll tackle it.

072503_mars1_upgrade_lg_zps5c1f1f5e.jpg

Or I could do it with just the wheels. Notice the integrated space suit on the back. I guess this was used to test the concept for the Mars Rover Suit system.

mars-rover-rear_zps94666507.jpg

Bill

Hi Jay, what scale is the vacuformed HL-10 in? It would be awesome to see one of those.

I've got a couple vac HL-10s actually. They are the Eagles Talon kit originally issued a LONG time ago. Dons Modelworks was repoping them for awhile under the Wings label until Don sadly died of cancer. I've got an original Talon kit and a Wings offering, both are 1/72 scale. Its a pity too as Eagles Talon did A LOT of the lifting bodies. They did the M2-F2/3, the HL-10 and the X-24A/B (plus X planes such as the X-2). Anigrand does resin versions today, but the vacs IMHO have more potential. Muroc Models also has the M2-F1 (in 1/72 AND 1/48, might be cool for somebody to do a Pontiac in 1/43 towing the 1/48 M2-F1), the X-38 in a couple scales and a couple other early X-planes.

Collect Aire did a 1/48 HL-10, but they prices for them are STEEP (and the quality could be better IMHO). I know of a couple guys who were doing their own HL-10 scratchbuilds as well, but I have no idea if they intend to do kits from them or not.

Saw one selling on ebay just now - you're right about the price of that 1/48 Collectaire. Must be a very interesting kit. Lifting bodies have a way of grabbing your attention, don't they. Especially that HL-10. The Six Million Dollar Man intro plays in my head whenever I see it.

I guess I will focus on getting my Monogram Shuttle done as part of this, especially since I want to get it done for the nationals. Do you actually have to start during the time period, or just finish it?

-Gil

I may do the T-38 and maybe even the S-3. But also have an interest in doing the NASA F-102 and F-106, or the G-5, even a Lear jet in NASA colors. There are so many subjects to choose from. A few more ideas, a Twin Otter which is used for icing research, even an OV-10 Bronco was used by NASA. All of the aircraft mentioned above except for the T-38 were/still assigned to NASA Glenn Research Center.

... Do you actually have to start during the time period, or just finish it?

The general GB rule-of-thumb is that it can be started, but no more than say 25% - 30% at the start of the GB.

Bill had said as much, but it's on another thread somewhere ... :woot.gif:

Pete

Granted I'm not a moderator on this project, but the Pegasus booster started its operational life being dropped from NASA Dryden's NB-52B (one of two originally used in the X-15 program), so I think it might qualify. Plus NASA has contracted with OSC for some of the payloads that have flown on the Pegasus over the years.

Which scale are you planning to do it in, 1/144 or 1/200? I've toyed with doing one myself by combining the Hasegawa Tristar with the Pegasus from the Dragon B-52/X-15/Pegasus kit.