Thanks, Chuck! I'm a fan of your builds, btw- you are one talented modeler! Are you suggesting Radio Shack, or a different local? I have some nice fly-tying wire in black, silver and yellow- visit your local fishing emporium for that delightful stuff.

I've gone to my local Radio Shack, and have purchased nearly 4 different sized spools of solid wire in various colors. I have just started to take a 2nd look at all the old computer and electronic wires we have thrown in boxes, and stored for no logical reason. Looks like it could very well be a gold mine in the rough.

Joel

Thanks, Chuck! I'm a fan of your builds, btw- you are one talented modeler! Are you suggesting Radio Shack, or a different local? I have some nice fly-tying wire in black, silver and yellow- visit your local fishing emporium for that delightful stuff.

Thanks for the kind words Sir!

I've checked out Radio Shack before and they have almost nothing useful. You need to find a very specific vendor of electronic tools, wire and other electrical stuff I don't understand, which is usually located in industrial areas where their main customers are located. Also, thanks for the fly tying wire tip. I had no idea they made colored wire!

Thanks for the kind words Sir!

I've checked out Radio Shack before and they have almost nothing useful. You need to find a very specific vendor of electronic tools, wire and other electrical stuff I don't understand, which is usually located in industrial areas where their main customers are located. Also, thanks for the fly tying wire tip. I had no idea they made colored wire!

Chuck,

Radio Shack doesn't have much, but it was better then nothing, as I was coming up empty handed from just about every other resource.

While I'm not a fly fisherman, I had a few friends that were, but they bought all their lures premade as they didn't like all the time needed to tie their own. Unfortunately, the local fishing supply stores, and bait & tackle shops here on LI really don't carry fly fishing supplies. Will be checking out Bass Pro Shops online and see what I can come up with.

Joel

Thanks, guys! If you look at the pics of the final instrument panel you can see some of that yellow and black fly-tying wire in use. Very fine and very flexible.

I've been home with a nasty cold virus and in spite of that have made a little progress. I used my powers of lethargy to stare at pics long enough to figure out the engine mounts, air intake connection and am getting a grip on the cooling flaps. So much for simply leaving off the bottom cowl! Chuck, thanks for cluing me in on the origin of this engine- a search for Gnome Rhone Mistral yielded a lot of valuable info. I'll keep my eyes open for an electrical supply store, but in the meantime scrounging is kinda fun- and basically free! ;)

Joel, I think online shopping is the best bet for fly-tying stuff- you can get super-fine lead wire as well as grey and white micro-tubing. I haven't found a use for the latter- yet! I got mine in Juneau, Alaska- but that's another story. :D

• 5 weeks later...

Chuck,

Just a fantastic update. Your detailing just continues to amaze me. Never thought about a electric nail buffer. Will have to look into getting one. And it's certainly nice to have Magda back with us.

Joel

Many thanks, Joel! Getting that little buffer was kind of a fluke for me, but is really quite useful. In addition to the grinder head you see in my pic, it does have some buffer heads that will no doubt come in handy.

As for that support ring, I plan on tracing a new pattern on to acetate and actually testing the fit of the exhausts and so for before bending any more brass. Seems legit to me! I'll tweak the rotation of the engine gill assembly mine's currently a bit off, I think. The front cowl will get an extra series of seven vee struts that go to the front cylinder bank and will be displayed on scale sawhorses. A simple diorama base in the the planning stage as well!

• 2 weeks later...

Chuck,

Just another fantastic update. Your detailing is simply outstanding, yet your methods are within the grasp of most of us. As usual, looking forward to your next update with one of the girls.

Joel

Thanks, Joel! I am mulling the idea of building the framework of the "Gearbox case" as seen in the pic reposted here. That way I can put the front cowl on, yet still see that magnificent resin engine front. The sheet metal wouldn't be too hard to make from heat-bent styrene, and I could do those noodley cut-outs at the rear. Or, I may simply regain my sanity! :P

IAR_085.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello Chukw.

You're doing an impressive job on this engine. I look forward to seeing this model

finished, because I like this plane. I have the LTD model which is not at all comparable to this one.

PS. I've put my references for the PV1 Ventura for you in my post on the PV1 Nightfighter.

JiP.

Chuck & Marina,

It's really nice to see both of you back for another update.

Your scratch building that cowl mount is just amazing. You measured twice, cut once, and it turned out perfect. You make it look so easy and simple, and yet it's both complex and difficult to scratch build at that level.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Just thought I'd drop in to say how much I appreciate you sharing your work with us. Not only are your modelling skills first rate, your presentation skills are very professional, and the girlies are a nice point of difference. Thanks for investing the time to show us what is possible.

Thanks, guys!

Modelismo, I have the LTD kit as well- It's going into my never-to-be-built pile having worked on this kit. ;)

Thanks, Joel- I'm just trying to keep Magda at bay! She has already appeared twice due to my muck-ups- I prefer the happy girls! oh, and yes, both cowling halves will be left off. A fair amount of detailing will be adding after painting and general assembly.

Thanks, Aigore and Rocat!

Gato, I used a resistance soldering unit. It's basically a transformer hooked to a tweezer-like set of electrodes. You clean and flux the join area, add a tiny shaving of solder, put the two electrodes on either side of the join and step on a foot pedal switch. Bam! The current heats the join area in a flash and you have a nice clean bond. A bit expensive but it allows for very delicate work.. I'll post more pics the next time I use it.

Many thanks, Air-to-Air!

I had no bench time at all this weekend, but will post more as soon as I can. Cheers, all!

chuk

• 1 month later...

Thanks, Tommy!

It's been a while, and with reason. It's been a tough summer for my wife and I- we each lost our mothers in the space of seven weeks. Nothing was unexpected, but that did not make anything easier. To top it off, I've been struggling with health problems- but I have hopes that all will resolve without dire consequence. All in all, though- it's been a rough ride- and I appreciate your patience. This update is a bit compressed, detail-wise.

Cheers!

chuk

IAR_101.jpg

IAR_102.jpg

IAR_103.jpg

IAR_104.jpg

IAR_105.jpg