Chuck,

Those hinges are amazing,and they do look 100% better. Well done.

The prop really turned out quite well. I must confess that the P-38 has two props with separate blades. I haven't given it a 2nd thought yet on how I'm building them. Maybe I should. I'll be checking out the UMM-USA site for that alignment tool. Sure hope it isn't very expensive. Maybe I'll get lucky and the kit has something, but I'm not holding my breath. Just took a fast look. The blades all have a mounting pin that goes into a whole in the back spinner plate. Seems like it just might work.

Chuck, my only concern is the spinner. For this incrediable build, not sure if good enough, is really good enough.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Thanks, Roberto!

Joel- ouch! I hate you for being right! ;)/> I may focus on a few other bits before going to color. You've made me search for more pics of "Nina." I was surprised to find several, and my paint job seems a bit crude- plus, the color is wrong. It should be white over schwartzgrun. The spiral in the new photos is somewhat uneven in the thick-and-thin nature of the lines, but the demarcation is fairly smooth. The spiral is in no way as perfect as some printed decals look! Needless to say, I'll have to fix the blotchy nature of my effort.

Nina_001.jpg

Nina_002.jpg

I've also been pondering the sway braces for the wing racks- I'm willing to bet Nina had 'em. I also believe the name was only painted on the port side, so that's easy. I have pics of wheel chocks, plus the use of a nice Luftwaffe-style ladder in use. I'll copy that from the Eduard etched release in their Bf110 sets but from brass wire- soldering time! There is also a light-colored area on the turtledeck behind the headrest. At least one Romanian modeler has painted this as underside blue. It would be covered by the canopy frame when all buttoned up. I got most of this info from a 1/72 build thread at Forum Machete.

All this new info has me puzzling, but I'll work it out- cheers!

Chuck,

Glad that you saw my comment as positive, because it is. For the total effort that you've consistently maintained to reach this level of modeling craftsmanship, and your ability to solve the most complex problems, I have no doubt that coming up with a better way to paint the spiral on the spinner is just a thought away. Perhaps some of the WW11 German modelers can suggest how they do it. Those pictures are incrediable. Uneven spacing and lack of consistent thickness, but as you pointed out, the demarcation line is crisp and clean. As for taking what one 1/72 modeler has done, should be not based on scale, but his knowledge and references. This certainly isn't a subject that info just pops up everywhere. So far you've done a masterful job of sorting through the issues.

Joel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chuck,

Just fantastic progress!!

Paint is near on perfect, so is your masking for all the marking. Just simply outstanding. The engine detailing is getting better and better. I did notice the repaint on the spinner: you nailed it. WTG embeer.gifembeer.gifembeer.gif

Joel

Chuck, an incredible build! I have to say that your attention to detail, methods, and art, along with fantastic posts with a real "how-to" approach, were a big inspiration to get back into the hobby. Your current build, and previous threads are brilliant! Thank you kindly.

Edited by Aurora Mark

My most sincere thanks to all! yes- it's getting close to calling this one done- it's just a matter of another update or two. After that, I'm returning to my "Well" dio- I parked it on the shelf of doom back in '11- it's time to git'er done! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Rocat!

Thanks, Randy!

Well, I've had a lot of bench time, and Had some serious back and forth with this build! One thing I did realize was that I left poor Radu Brinzan out in the cold after he was nice enough to send me a set of his IAR 81C decals. What a dope I am! I did use them instead of the kit decals (which do look very nice, BTW) They were a treat to apply- judge for yourself.

I won't go into the issues with dullcoat blushing and bad material interactions, but it's all coming out in the wash. I had so many pics in my camera that I'm breaking it into two installments- here's Dodging Bullets, Part 1-

IAR_161.jpg

IAR_162.jpg

IAR_163.jpg

IAR_164.jpg

IAR_165.jpg

As always, you provide a very entertaining sequence of clear pics with great explanations as to how you did what you did. I have been tardy in responding, because I read every one of your posts, so I'll do it now: GREAT JOB! This is modeling at its finest. :thumbsup:

chuck,

your weathering is extremely realistic, yet has that look of a well maintained operational aircraft with that "used but not abused" look to it. Your use of MIG Pigments really opened my eyes to just how effective yet not over powering that technique can be. Will be getting some for my next WW11 prop build. As for the decaling, I keep on looking at then, and they look just like they were painted on with masks. No flash, and the seat down into every nook and cranny. Decaling the way decaling should be done. Well done my friend.

Looking forward to part 2.

Joel

Thanks, guys! I hope to get Part 2 up this weekend- be ready fir more thrills and chills! :D

I'm getting things checked off my to-do list for the final post that will come after that.

Cheers!

chuk