Chuck,

Hard to believe that with all the effort and time, the engine mount was that far off, especially when you over laid the new template on top of the old one. Hopefully, the 2nd time around it took considerably less time to build, yet you still had to remove half of one mounting "V" to get the exhaust manifold to fit. If you didn't mention it, I can assure you I would have missed it. The exhausts really do look like the real thing. Excellent painting and weathering. And the spinner and prop really does look quite good now.

The final few pictures really shows the level that your build has reached. Your not that far from the finish line.

Joel

Very cool Chuk! I like the use of pale gray rather than silver for chipping to replicate oxidized metal. For some reason silver chipped metal on wings always looked funny to me, but now I know why. It should be much duller due to oxidation!

What do you use to bend your brass rod and other metal parts? I recently bent some tubular brass on my build (thanks for checking in BTW) and had a heck of time bending it without marking up the soft metal.

Thanks, everyone! I'm plugging away on the fiddly bits and she will soon be done at last!

Nimrod, I've done too much to give up now, and I'm only fixing my own errors. Note that the ring was originally glued to the front of the fuselage and was only an outer oval ring with the inner vee's. The new one also has an inner ring that mates to the rear of the engine- that moves the gills farther back and away from the fuselage. Much better!

Joel, you're always too kind to a grubber like me! It was pointed out elsewhere that that center lower pipe was likely routed through the carb air intake as a heater, so the kit layout is indeed correct. I still should have move or modified that vee- darn! in any case, you can't really see it at all, so don't tell the Kommandant! ;)

Chuck! I'm glad you agree about the oxidized metal- I will add some graphite and a bit of shiny steel to further the illusion of distressed metal. Speaking of which, I use round-jawed pliers for small bends, and the Brass Assist from The Small Shop for wider bends. Tubing is tricky- you have to bend in increments, or even fill the tube with wax to keep it from crushing. Once bent, gently heat the tube to get the wax out. It's never as simple as you'd like, is it?

2643.jpg

Bending006.jpg

Thanks, Ruud- I ain't calling it quits 'til it's done! ;)

One more update oughtta do it- stay tuned!

Chuck

It's been one fantastic build to follow, and I've enjoyed every update, post, comment, and suggestion. Of course the highlight is the "girls". Looking forward to seeing this incrediable build finally cross the finish line, then waiting for your next build to start. I'm quite sure that whatever it will be, it will be 1/48 scale, and another journey that will push the model envelope.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Thanks, Z-Mare- I've taken it off. Cheers!

Well, this one's done at last. Like every build, this has been a real learning experience for me, and I hope I've been successful in sharing what I've picked up through the highs and lows. Thanks to all for reading along!

IAR_188.jpg

IAR_189.jpg

IAR_190.jpg

IAR_191.jpg

IAR_192.jpg

IAR_193.jpg

IAR_194.jpg

IAR_195.jpg

Chuck

I've been along for the ride since day 1. And what a ride it's been. Not the smoothest at times, but you came through like the master modeler you are, and smoothed out every one of those bumps and ruts in the road. Ok, so the girls helped when the going got tough. I learned a lot, and marveled at your techniques and master craftsman's skills. Every build sooner or later has it's end, and the IAR 81C has reached its conclusion. So what's next for you and the girls?

Joel

Hey Chuk, thank you so much for all the details, tips, photography, humor and of course your girls! As usual, a build thread not to be missed and so entertaining along the way. Thank you! :cheers:

Maybe you've mentioned it already, but what is next?

The other Chuck

Fantastic work! I've been following this build from the beginning..come to think of it I've followed all of your builds since the Helldiver. I have to say that IAR is quite a pretty machine, and one I'd never known of before you began building one. It's almost enough to make me switch from the jets. Anyhow astonishing work there Chuck! And of course presented on here with the deftest of hands. Love those posts and looking forward to seeing what's next.

Cheers!

MattJ

banner2_zpsiyvds84b.jpg

Edited by MattJCYKZ

My sincere thanks to one and all! This little bug grew on me as I went along- it's really quite charismatic. It reminds me of the Hughs Racer, sleek and simple, but militarized and beefier.

HughesH1RacerPlane1932.jpg

As for what's next, I'm just finishing up the first of two statue prototypes for dark Horse Comics. One will tour the comic con circuit, and one will go to China as a sample for mass production. I'll be able to show pics soon, I hope. After that I'm finishing up my Well Provisioned diorama- it got sidetracked by other projects and languishes on the Shelf of Doom. No kit left behind! Well Provisioned

Well_156.jpg

Then I'm tackling a US Vietnam-era aircraft in 1/48, complete with new helpers. I think y'all will enjoy it!

Cheers!

chuk