Kinetic CF-5A 1-48th (AETE & 434 Sqn)

Progressing slowly, compared to you guys I am a real turtle...

I could not find the right color for the checkered color on the Mk20, these are black and come from a TwoBobs F-5E sheet for the hook... They will have to do...

The camera tank came out real nice, can't wait to put the X decal on it...

Been scrounging my spare decals for red stencils, and other little items, quite time consuming...

I got my metal pitot from Lucky but I seriously underestimated the size of this thing, I will probably need something in 1-32nd, this is the next task on the list... out with the vernier caliper....

IMG_1706_zps8002d94e.jpg

IMG_1705_zpsfbf68db1.jpg

Thanks ALF and all the others who took time to comment, it means a lot. This one will be put on hold for a bit while I wait for my X decals and figure out what to do with the pitot... I also have another project I am taking on, due to those 3 CF-5Ds that walked in the door this morning... Stay tuned for that !

cf116815_419SqnCF-116s.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got some more done on 116702... I got my pitot from Lucky Models, used a 1-24 scale BAe Harrier FRS1 Pitot (I photographed the wrong bag, I tried out the Draken 1-48th pitot earlier but it was way too small). It is a bit too long and was cut to size scaled from my photos and re-sharpened the tip with sand paper. Now I only need to paint the barber poll scheme, should be a breeeze :whistle:/>/>/>/>

The stripes went on pretty well, Thanks Emil... Rest should be pretty straightforward now...

IMG_1764_zps673c1a9d.jpg

IMG_1765_zps274415bd.jpg

IMG_1766_zps2f62c465.jpg

IMG_1767_zpsa54c4fde.jpg

IMG_1769_zpsad1b2951.jpg

Edited by yvesff

Nice work Yves! I think the pitot boom came out great and it will look even better when painted.

Here it is all painted, not an easy task, the paint barely sticks to the metal, I painted it Vallejo flat white, coat of Future, Tamiya tape mask,Tamiya gloss red, remove mask carefuly, scrape paint off front , end, dip in Future.

Not entirely accurate but good enough, it is missing the angle of attack vane at the very front, I may make it with its protective red cover and RBF flag...

IMG_1774_zps60ced449.jpg

IMG_1773_zps16a5e585.jpg

Got news that my X decal would be ready this friday ! In the mean time, I got around to photograph a previous personification of 116702, probably made about 20 some years ago, using Hasegawa 1-72nd kit and Flight Colours decals... I must have a fixation on this aircraft...

IMG_1793_zpsebb70c0b.jpg

IMG_1792_zpsc538ac21.jpg

IMG_1791_zpsed8a190b.jpg

IMG_1790_zps493aaccc.jpg

Some more progress; The "artwork", if you can call it that, is off to the printers for the camera tank "X". I asked to print a few spares if any of you guys want some, let me know.

aetex_zps51393f47.jpg

<snip>

Hi Yves,

I'm a little late to this thread, but if you're still stuck for the camera pod "X", I can cut you a mask so you can simply paint it. Lemme know...

Cheers,

Tony Bell

Hi Yves,

I'm a little late to this thread, but if you're still stuck for the camera pod "X", I can cut you a mask so you can simply paint it. Lemme know...

Cheers,

Tony Bell

Thanks for the offer Tony, I will put it on stand-by for now, I got my decals yesterday, will try them out and see what happens. If there are some leftovers and some of you want some, let me know !

Printed at Staples with their Color laser, coated paper setting, using full size Microscale blank decal paper sheet for laser printers. Coated with Microscale Liquid Film.

IMG_1796_zpsdfab890e.jpg

Edited by yvesff

"X" Decal is on, looks real nice, in the home stretch now... I got four spares, enough for two aircrafts... any takers ?

IMG_1800_zpsbbf0d953.jpg

IMG_1799_zps86aa2641.jpg

Base is ready, Rockeyes are on, camera tank windows Kristal Klear is drying, antennas are on, one small pitot remaining. Working on red covering for large pitot angle of attack vane...

IMG_1806_zps0d496e23.jpg

IMG_1805_zpsfdc920ee.jpg

Edited by yvesff

Beautiful work Yves. As a further suggestion, while your pitot looks pretty good the masking was not always consistent (Really hard to do I bet)but your's is pretty darn good. I once did a white and red spiral pitot in 1/72 by painting it white and then spiraling a thin red line decal that I got off a spare decal sheet around the pitot and it looked great but I concede that the one you did was a l o n g spiral and would mean working with a long strip of decal but I'm just throwing that out there as an idea to try in the future. I certainly wouldn't worry about what you have done in the mean time as you have the makings of a great kit here and no doubt we all await the finished kit.

Cheers

Bruce

P.S. Sorry I didn't notice your post till today...

Edited by RCAFFAN

Beautiful work Yves. As a further suggestion, while your pitot looks pretty good the masking was not always consistent (Really hard to do I bet)but your's is pretty darn good. I once did a white and red spiral pitot in 1/72 by painting it white and then spiraling a thin red line decal that I got off a spare decal sheet around the pitot and it looked great but I concede that the one you did was a l o n g spiral and would mean working with a long strip of decal but I'm just throwing that out there as an idea to try in the future. I certainly wouldn't worry about what you have done in the mean time as you have the makings of a great kit here and no doubt we all await the finished kit.

Cheers

Bruce

P.S. Sorry I didn't notice your post till today...

Thanks Bruce,

I did try the decal idea, but as you stated, I needed a very long red decal and I just could not get to the end of the pitot without it breaking somewhere... it's a very tight spiral, so I gave up !

This one should be done real soon, so keep posted !

Well I am calling her done ! Will add one mirror on the canopy, a few RBF flags and some pitot protectors later...

IMG_1807_zpsad4e7449.jpg

IMG_1813_zps4f3ff5ab.jpg

IMG_1815_zps75a41af4.jpg

IMG_1817_zps7437df38.jpg

IMG_1820_zps56de568c.jpg

IMG_1808_zpsc208d8a8.jpg

116702_aete_zps58312e42.jpg

IMG_1811_zps5c6652f9.jpg

IMG_1812_zpscc35320e.jpg

IMG_1810_zps4fe7ab8d.jpg

Edited by yvesff