Tan Models 1/48 F-5A now out by Tiger Hobbies

Saw one unpainted built -up and at 15 pounds, couldn't resist it. Like earlier remarks on BM, it is a bit soft on detail, but it looks the part to me. Nice decal sheet.

Link to previous chat about it : http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234949366-tiger-hobbies-148th-f-5a/

DSC05255_zpsafa899ea.jpg

DSC05256_zps7266f33b.jpg

DSC05257_zps5821ec81.jpg

DSC05260_zps885fbc24.jpg

DSC05258_zps6cae95b9.jpg

Cheers, Tony

Edited by Snowbird3a

Yep, the Norwegian roundels have the wrong proportions. The blue circle and the stripe should be thicker - even a casual look at photos should show that. Shapewise, the most serious "doesn't look right" to me is the rear fuselage. In plan view the "bum area" (to use a female analogy) is too wide and the radius on the top corners varies too much to cast some funny shadows when the light is above and slightly behind the object.

Jens

did you see any tanmodel logo around the sprues or anywhere else?

No, nothing to indicate it's origin to Tan Models. Just a conversation with the gentleman at Tiger Hobbies, and the BM link in post #1 explains most of the story.

Tony

Edited by Snowbird3a

so, it is not a Tan model kit.. it is a tiger hobbies kit.

Yes,, IT IS A Tiger Hobbies kit, with it's origins with Tan Models. What's your point ????

The thread title even says "by Tiger Hobbies"

Tony

Edited by Snowbird3a

After looking at the kit listed on Ebay, I have taken the plundge and ordered one. It appear to be missing ordinance and missile rails, however I believe I can scrounge this from another kit, or build as one that doesn't need them. Decals I have plenty of.

Will be interesting to see how it fares compared to Kinetic, specially since Kinetic took some heat when releasing their F-5A.

All I have to say is 'A day late and a dollar short'. Seems that this F-5A is a bit late to the program. With a selling price of almost $26 US it had better compare to the offering from Kinetic at $23 US. The Kinetic F-5A is a great little kit with a decal sheet that is undeniably great.

From what I can tell the first reviews aren't very favorable for the Tiger Hobbies F-5A. Don't think I'll be getting one.

Cheers,

John

it is a tiger hobbies kit, period.

I don't want an internet peeing contest--but--From Tiger Hobbies--Quote

Tiger Hobbies Limited have for sale THK48001 Tiger Hobbies 1/48 F5A Freedom Fighter 4 Decal Options

This model was a cancelled project bt Tan Models of Turkey.

We have Rescued this project and had the model shippied in basic form.

We have produced new Cartograph Decals with four decal options:--Unquote (from Britmodeller two weeks ago).

Now do us a favour and provide us with a source that tells us that Tan Model had nothing to do with this kit.

If this and the talk I had with Tiger Hobbies in Telford on the weekend proves to be false, then I will accept my mistake.

Cheers, Tony

it is a tiger hobbies kit, period.

um, who cares? still a tan models mold anyways. not sure why people make a big deal over this.

has photo's of it built up. fit wise doesn't look bad.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/THK48001-Tiger-Hobbies-1-48-F5A-Freedom-Fighter-4-Decal-Options-/291008647582

Edited by randypandy831

Hi Tony,

I'd be interested to know how you get on with the build of this one. I've always wanted to build an F-5A in RCAF markings, but I gave my CA kit away, as it was too much work to get it to RCAF standard, and I am not interested in struggling with Kinetic's offering. I have a sheet of F-5A's from Mike Belcher that is calling me :) Let us know how you make out with the build of this one won't you :)

Cheers

Brad

Hi Tony,

I'd be interested to know how you get on with the build of this one. I've always wanted to build an F-5A in RCAF markings, but I gave my CA kit away, as it was too much work to get it to RCAF standard, and I am not interested in struggling with Kinetic's offering. I have a sheet of F-5A's from Mike Belcher that is calling me :)/> Let us know how you make out with the build of this one won't you :)/>

Cheers

Brad

Brad, you may have to wait a while for that. It is not on my 'soon to do list'. That list is very long, but I will try to remember your request(in my old age) :)

Cheers, Tony