F-15E 97-0219, 1:48

Hi,

it's been well over a year since I finished a model so it's about time... The often praised Revell kit is nice in some areas and basically the only correct F-15E on the market, but if you look more closely there are many many corners cut and areas overly simplified.

I tried to address most things, updated all the airframe specific detail to current standard and went to town with additional detail. The main wheel wells were scratch built, the main struts, actuators and linkage extensively modified and detailed (the whole model sits now higher up, including the nose wheel oleo). A lot of (too much) work went into getting the intakes right - Revell has them slightly drooped, not fully open as on a parked airframe. Also the seams were a bear to eliminate and painting the grey-white demarcation line quite a bit down the intake was a challenge to say the least. The (detailed) engine compressor faces were installed near the end of the build for instance - they were put in via the exhaust openings, stuck with blue tack to BBQ skewers.

There are Aires nozzles, Quickboost seats, Eduard PE, Royale Resin wheels and many parts (pylons, LAU 128's, sensors/ECM pods on tails...) robbed from the Academy kit. The strengthening plates and rudder bulges on the stabs were built up with many layers of Mr Surfacer and detailed with Archer raised rivets. I used my own (Hypersonic Models) JFS exhaust scratched the various antennae and the GPS receiver. There certainly are other bits that I don't remember right now...

Painting/weathering was done by enamel paint followed by salt and hairspray techniques with acrylics (good for this purpose, but I rather stay clear of acrylics in all other contexts).

Markings are for 97-0219 in early summer 2011, just after returning from Operation Odyssey Dawn over Libya. The decals and masks come from my own sheet - the serials, stars and bars and LN are indeed painted on.

Load out is for a typical training mission with AIM-120 (Eduard Brassin), AIM-9L (Academy) and ACMI pod (scratch built).

The pictures:

DSC_1019a_zpsb36ceff4.jpg

DSC_1023a_zps789296c7.jpg

DSC_1024a_zps91eba06a.jpg

DSC_1026a_zps0977aefa.jpg

DSC_1028a_zpsb765e77c.jpg

DSC_1030a_zps4f2ef278.jpg

DSC_1033a_zps571496e1.jpg

DSC_1034a_zpsacc5537c.jpg

DSC_1035a_zpsc0c8a226.jpg

DSC_1039a_zps5c861953.jpg

Many thanks for looking!

Jeffrey

What a beauty to say the least :thumbsup:/> One of the best Strike's I've seen! You've really given the Revell kit some tlc.... The weathering is just fantastic as well! You've inspired me to keep going on my Mudhen build.... Thanks for sharing!

/Jesse

That is a damn fine build!! :blink:

This is what I call a perfect paint job and weathering! Just amazing!!

No overdone pre-/postshading, no terrible deep black panel lines, no unrealistic colour blotches......

Thanks for showing and hats off!

Best regards,

Jens

Thanks a lot, your comments are much appreciated!

As for the paint work: I primed with Mr Surfacer, sanded lightly and did a little pre shading on there. Then Gunship Grey enamel (WEM) was airbrushed on. I added a few drops of light grey and mottled on some random fading on panels, I also prepared another mix with a few drops of dark grey to post-shade around flying surfaces access hatches etc. Everything was sealed with a clear coat and then hairspray was applied. Next, a mix of slightly darkened Tamiya Dark Grey (Tamiya's match for Gunship Grey) was mottled on and rubbed off with a wet tooth brush. This was again sealed with a clear coat, water sprayed on the model and salt (fine table salt and crushed sea salt) applied. After the slush was dry, I again prepared a Tamiya paint mix, I think just a touch darker than the first one and that was again randomly airbrushed on.

The model was then washed to get rid of the salt and sealed again. Then the normal processes of oil washes, oil filters and localised staining/streaking started.

Cheers

Jeffrey

:jaw-dropping: Let me echo every comment made so far. That is one very, very superb Strike; would be mo' better if it had more weaps; JDAMS, GBU's, AMRAAMS, toolbox, kitchen sink, and porcelain throne hey it could carry them :whistle: :D . Edited by #1 Greywolf