F/A-18 Hornet Group Build Interest Thread & Poll

ARC F/A-18 Group Build  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in participating in an F/A-18 Group Build?

• Yes
    • No

Ok, well. judging from a couple of different threads on this, there does seem to be some interest out there in a strictly F/A-18 Group Build.

Having been away from running a group build for a bit, I have tentatively asked for a start date of July 1, 2014 to December 2014. From what I understand, the mods here will find a spot in the upcoming calendar, based on the dates I have requested, so dates will be confirmed as soon as I get a word from the ARC mod team.

With that in mind, the rules will be simple.

1. All variants of the F/A-18 will be included in this build (A-D Legacy models and E/F/G Super Hornet variants).

2. Markings can be for any country operating the Hornet (US, Canada, Kuwait, Spain, Finland, Switzerland, Australia, Malaysia). Markings for prototypes/demonstrators, test units and units that have been decommissioned, stood down or in cadre status will also qualify (ie: VFA-161, VMFA(AW)-332, etc.).

3. "What-if" projects will be allowed as part of the build.

4. Models should be started on/after the start date for the Group Build. If the cockpit is painted, I'll make an exception.

5. Open to all scales and all kits.

6. Each completed build will get you one ticket in the raffle draw. Models must be finished by the end date of the group build.

*Edited 3/15/2014*

Note for sponsors.....if you're interested in sponsoring the build with a raffle prize(s), please PM me or email me at modelairplaneguy@gmail.com.

Sponsors so far: Canuck Models; F4Dable Models and Fightertown Decals. Thanks to our sponsors so far!

As well, if anyone wants to co-mod with me, contact me.

Let's get it on!

Edited by Colin K

Colin your going to mod?70.gif

This looks like a winner and odds are you are not too far off on your date guess. Get a couple more yes votes then make the official request.

Never mind, see you did do an official request. I will forward it with MY approval. Two to go.

Edited by phantom

Colin your going to mod?70.gif

This looks like a winner and odds are you are not too far off on your date guess. Get a couple more yes votes then make the official request.

Never mind, see you did do an official request. I will forward it with MY approval. Two to go.

Well, like I said, been away from running a GB here, so I'm a little rusty. But, I figured as long as I get the request in, it's in, and we'll just see what happens. Oh, and yes, I'll be one of the mods for the build.

3. Going to say no to "what-if" builds for this one.

I would recommend taking this requirement away, in case someone wants to do the French Hornets that almost happened. There are plenty of almosts with this bird that would be ruled out if you stood with this rule.

hornet-0010.jpg

Also, if you keep this to current operators, plenty of deactivated, or former squadrons would be barred from this build. Take, for example, VMFA-121.

Edited by Exhausted

I have a few kits and will try and build as many of them as I can. There is 1 kit I may not touch because i dont have the room to display it. Here is a list of kits I have or is on the way.

5- 1/72 Hasegawa F/A-18A/C kits

2- 1/48 Hasegawa F/A-18C kits

1- 1/48 Hasegawa F/A-18D Kit ( being delivered Monday )

1- 1/48 Revell F/A-18E kit

1- 1/32 Academy F/A-18A/C kit

Who knows by the time this thing gets off the ground, my Airwing may have more Birds in it. ( or this case Bug's )

Edited by tosouthern66

I would recommend taking this requirement away, in case someone wants to do the French Hornets that almost happened. There are plenty of almosts with this bird that would be ruled out if you stood with this rule.

hornet-0010.jpg

Also, if you keep this to current operators, plenty of deactivated, or former squadrons would be barred from this build. Take, for example, VMFA-121.

Thanks for the input. I did change the requirement on which squadrons would apply to the build. By current operators, I was actually referring to the countries that operate the Hornet. Having said that, I did add an amendment to my original post that decommissioned, stood down, cadre status and test units would be ok for the build, just to avoid any further confusion.

As for "what-if" builds....sorry, going to stick with no for that one.

Ok, well. judging from a couple of different threads on this, there does seem to be some interest out there in a strictly F/A-18 Group Build.

Having been away from running a group build for a bit, I have tentatively asked for a start date of July 1, 2014 to December 2014. From what I understand, the mods here will find a spot in the upcoming calendar, based on the dates I have requested, so dates will be confirmed as soon as I get a word from the ARC mod team.

With that in mind, the rules will be simple.

1. All variants of the F/A-18 will be included in this build (A-D Legacy models and E/F/G Super Hornet variants).

2. Markings can be for any country operating the Hornet (US, Canada, Kuwait, Spain, Finland, Switzerland, Australia, Malaysia). Squadron markings for test units and units that have been decommissioned, stood down or in cadre status will also qualify (ie: VFA-161, VMFA(AW)-332, etc.).

3. Going to say no to "what-if" builds for this one.

4. Models should be started on/after the start date for the Group Build. If the cockpit is painted, I'll make an exception.

5. Open to all scales and all kits.

6. Each completed build will get you one ticket in the raffle draw. Models must be finished by the end date of the group build.

Note for sponsors.....if you're interested in sponsoring the build with a raffle prize(s), please PM me or email me at modelairplaneguy@gmail.com.

As well, if anyone wants to co-mod with me, contact me.

Let's get it on!

Being a nOOB to the internet modeling community, this will be my first GB.

I was going to post a question of when the start date will be but I reread your OP and saw your requested start/finish dates.

Wow; Eight months away until the start date (Like I said; I'm a nOOB at this!) ohmy.gif ?

Can someone post Cliff's Notes on GB SOP's? The time gap will definitely allow me to plan more accordingly and will help with financing said builds.

I have at least two build ideas I'll be doing; maybe three. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to it 271.gif !

I was going to post a question of when the start date will be but I reread your OP and saw your requested start/finish dates.

Wow; Eight months away until the start date (Like I said; I'm a nOOB at this!)

Reason for this is that there are other group builds already lined up for January 2014, and I believe that those in charge have set a limit to 4 or 5 ongoing group builds at the same time. Anymore than that, and there would be too many at one time for people to keep track of and/or participate in. As well, the dates I have proposed will have to be ok'd by the mod team responsible for overseeing the Group Builds here on ARC.

Can someone post Cliff's Notes on GB SOP's? The time gap will definitely allow me to plan more accordingly and will help with financing said builds.

Well, the SOP's for this build are in my original post. Only additional thing you'll want to note is, once the Group Build forum is up and the group build is underway, make sure to start a progress thread and post photos of your build, as you build it. It's always interesting to see what goes into a guys kit, plus, if problems come up, guys are pretty good about offering advice and help.

I have at least two build ideas I'll be doing; maybe three. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to it.

Good to know. Keep those builds in mind and we'll be asking guys to let us know what they are building once we're underway.

Hopefully that answers your questions.

No maybe option, but since this seems to be a go already it's kinda moot. I might jump in with another CF-18. My only planned upcoming Hornet build, though, is for the Aus/NZ GB. But... there are so many awesome Canadian schemes to pick from... tempting.