F/A-18 Hornet Group Build Interest Thread & Poll

ARC F/A-18 Group Build  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in participating in an F/A-18 Group Build?

• Yes
    • No

I'll play... All 1/72 scale

Hasegawa "D" VMFA-224 Bengals - OOB, except for Mk-82 bombs (can't remember where they were from). More pics here.

IMG_3696.jpg

Hasegawa "B" Blue Angels 7 - Used the 2nd kit from the Bengals boxing above. Jasmine decals. More pics here.

IMG_4644.jpg

Academy "C" VMFA-212 Lancers - Completely OOB. More pics here

IMG_3566.jpg

Hasegawa "F" VFA-102 Diamondbacks E18 (white box) - OOB kit and decals, air-to-ground weapons from Hasegawa Weapons Kit. Diamond shapes were painted on (mask-and-spray). More pics here

IMG_2191.jpg

Hasegawa "F" VFA-102 History (2-in-1 boxing) - OOB kit and decals, air-to-ground weapons from Hasegawa Weapons Kit and Academy Chippy Ho. More pics here

IMG_5960_zps8410b816.jpg

I've got this F-18F Super Hornet in my stash. I'd be happy to hang onto it until the group build starts.

HAS00007238_0_l.jpg

Cheers

Ian

Welcome to the GB Ian 271.gif !

Are you familiar with the Revell 1/48th scale F-18E?

I'm very interested in a comparison between your lovely kit and said Revell kit.

I have said Revell in a W.I.P.

Using Jake's Super Hornet book as a reference; Revell did an outstanding job in representing detail and accuracy. And on a 'detail/accuracy/quality vs price' gauge, Revell's Super Hornet reigns absolutely supreme.

I want to build the 'F' but I'm very skeptical of the humongous price deference. I believe twice-the-price is reasonable on Revell vs Hasegawa (I'm using their F-4's as a price comparison). But 2.5 to 3.5 times the price deference seems unreasonable. If PE or other AM goodies are part of the kit, that would really bring the model down to a reasonable level.

BTW; I also want to do a Growler build as well 70.gif .

TT! That's friggin NICE! Any more pics?

Hey thanks man! Got a couple more:

p1010004kj5.jpg

p1010005lm8.jpg

From one of the really primitive Hornet kits, it was fun though!

Found a couple more Great Whifs from Eddie M as well:

Aug08054.jpg

Aug08062.jpg

VF(A?)-142 Throwback scheme

VF-1

HPIM1871.jpg

Both were previously retired Tomcat Squadrons.

...I was going to say, THAT one looks familiar. It has also been put in the trash heap.

:crying2:

Welcome to the GB Ian 271.gif !

Are you familiar with the Revell 1/48th scale F-18E?

I'm very interested in a comparison between your lovely kit and said Revell kit.

I have said Revell in a W.I.P.

Using Jake's Super Hornet book as a reference; Revell did an outstanding job in representing detail and accuracy. And on a 'detail/accuracy/quality vs price' gauge, Revell's Super Hornet reigns absolutely supreme.

I want to build the 'F' but I'm very skeptical of the humongous price deference. I believe twice-the-price is reasonable on Revell vs Hasegawa (I'm using their F-4's as a price comparison). But 2.5 to 3.5 times the price deference seems unreasonable. If PE or other AM goodies are part of the kit, that would really bring the model down to a reasonable level.

BTW; I also want to do a Growler build as well 70.gif .

The Revell "F" is very nice!! But there is no PE or Resin parts in the box. But not really necessary...you can add wheels (RR), Eduard PE, decals...I don't know about AM stuff for the Revell F, but why is it impossible to make Resin pits, nozzels or wheel bays fit originally desinged for the Gawa kit? We are modellers, huh!?

I have a nice Hasegawa F-18 A and Modell Alliance decals for a spanish Tigermeet bird from 2007, and some AM stuff too. When time allows that would be nice to join next year. But not sure, because summertime is always very busy here, in job and outdoor activities (You know, in Germany the seasions are like this: 4 weeks winter and the rest of the years it's raining, haha! So we have to catch every sunny and warm day to make the best out of it!)

Show and tell time? In the last year I've built 4 Hornets, about to be five.

VMFA-(AW)-533 from iraq (Fujimi with MAW Decals)

6M6_zpsaa69cac1.jpg

Various CF-18s (Hasegawa and Academy with Canucks Decals)

7O9_zpsabb635eb.jpg

the Hasegawa kits I extensively modified: They have full trunk intakes,

6Z2_zps4e6e1b0a.jpg

Dropped flaps with metal flap covers.

7I5_zpsf0260e4d.jpg

In all honesty, I actually don't think the Academy kits are the clear, unabashed "best." No intake trunking, and a ugly nose section build that doesn't fit easily... which requires sanding and rescribing of details. Its annoying. If you want a straight OOB kit that requires no mods, yeah its academy. However if you want to put some effort into adding stuff like dropped flaps ect, I'd go with Fujimi, The main issue is the wingtip rails, which are extremely undersized (but can be easily sourced from people's spares boxes._

Hey thanks man! Got a couple more:

p1010004kj5.jpg

p1010005lm8.jpg

From one of the really primitive Hornet kits, it was fun though!

Found a couple more Great Whifs from Eddie M as well:

Aug08054.jpg

Aug08062.jpg

VF(A?)-142 Throwback scheme

VF-1

HPIM1871.jpg

Both were previously retired Tomcat Squadrons.

:crying2:/>

I have allways thought that VF-142 Hi Vis paint sceem was the best looking. However VF-111 and VF-84 (not 103) are my favorite squadrons when it comes to the F-14's.

For anyone who's built the 1/72 Academy, how did you get around the issue of the multi-part nose? I just test fitted mine and I can foresee that I'm going to have problems with getting everything to line up nicely.

I was worried about that when I built mine a while back. But the parts actually fit really well. You just have to be very careful when cutting them off the sprue, making sure you don't accidentally chip them or something like that. When putting them together, don't rush it. Line up the parts properly, and let the cement/glue to set properly before gluing the next one.

Well, since everyone else is sharing some previous builds!

409 TFS CF-18B

PB160037.jpg

2007 Demo Jet built for Capt. Yanick "Crank" Gregoire-2007 Demo Pilot

P4080236.jpg

2009 CF-18 Demo Jet....also displayed is a used hook point from this jet.

Picture019.jpg

Academy 1/32 CF-18B built for "Peanut", a former 410 IP

Picture091.jpg

VFA-103 F/A-18F Super Hornet

IMG_4222.jpg