F/A-18 Hornet Group Build Interest Thread & Poll

ARC F/A-18 Group Build  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in participating in an F/A-18 Group Build?

• Yes
    • No

I have the ability and ideas its just the follow threw that stops me. I have many kits ( air and auto ) that I have started but fall short completing. One mistake on a kit I get discouraged and back in the box it goes.

In order to confuse you, I'm going to offer the opposite advice as Check Six - there's nothing wrong with doing this. I do it all the time. I personally find the construction stages more fun than the finishing stages, and this is a hobby so you should do what's fun for you. And when you make a big mistake, putting it away for a while may be the best thing. When you regain interest in the subject, the passage of time will allow you to look at it and think "Now how do I fix this" instead of "Oh man I really messed up" and you will probably find 1) it isn't as bad as you think and 2) your improving skills have given you insight in repairing it.

I was working on a helicopter model a long time ago and I messed up the paint. I put it away for over three years. I just went back to it a week ago and finished it. Buoyed by this, I'm revisiting models that have been boxed for a decade.

And I even save money on paint. When I airbrush something and have paint left in the cup, I just look over my massive collection of half-built models to see what else needs that color. I invariably find something.

Colin

I haven't built an Aircraft model since 92/93 and a car model in maybe 3 years. I joined in the Bent Wing build and couldn't finish the one bird I started for it. This will be my 1st GB I complete at least 1 aircraft. If I don't I will be selling/giving everything I have away and getting out of the hobby. This is my last chance at getting back in the groove! When I asked the question on if there had ever been a Hornet Group build I was just looking to see what others have built for tips. I have the problem of starting a kit and getting stuck with something on it and putting it away and then lose interest.

Well, there should be more than enough tips and encouragement when we get this build started. If I remember correctly, there has been at least one other Hornet GB, but that was ages ago. As it happens, some guys do get projects started and don't finish them, while others fail to start anything, then a build like this comes along, and they get excited about building and actually finish something.

Believe me, if you get stuck on something, ARC, in general, is a great resource, with many, talented model builders, who are always willing to help another guy out.

Don't worry, we'll get you a good 3 wire by the end of the build and you'll have at least one new Hornet model on the shelves. :thumbsup:

In order to confuse you, I'm going to offer the opposite advice as Check Six - there's nothing wrong with doing this. I do it all the time. I personally find the construction stages more fun than the finishing stages, and this is a hobby so you should do what's fun for you. And when you make a big mistake, putting it away for a while may be the best thing. When you regain interest in the subject, the passage of time will allow you to look at it and think "Now how do I fix this" instead of "Oh man I really messed up" and you will probably find 1) it isn't as bad as you think and 2) your improving skills have given you insight in repairing it.

I was working on a helicopter model a long time ago and I messed up the paint. I put it away for over three years. I just went back to it a week ago and finished it. Buoyed by this, I'm revisiting models that have been boxed for a decade.

And I even save money on paint. When I airbrush something and have paint left in the cup, I just look over my massive collection of half-built models to see what else needs that color. I invariably find something.

Ah; very good points.

To clarify, I was speaking in terms the final analysis. Your helicopter is an excellent example. You eventually went back to the helo and finished it.

I interpreted tosouthern66's post as not finishing a model build at all with no intentions of its' future.

I have the intention of getting back to them someday. I am drawing the line with this GB for myself. Right now I can't do anything due to compressor issues. I work nights and sleep during the day, even when I'm off. So I would only be able to build at night. My compressor is so loud that it will wake the dead. I hope to replace it next month, just can't seem to decide with which one. It has to have a tank and dual cylinder. Home depot has a 1.6 gallon dual California air and TCP global has a 3ltr dual cylinder master air. I don't know much on either and I'm hesitate on buying either one. I'd love to get an Iwata, but they are too expensive. I have had a badger 180 before it was quit but didn't like the pulsation issue. So if any of you have any experience with california air or master let me know.

Most of the time its my painting that goes wrong. The last kit the paint ended up powdering on me. I tested the paint on plexi glass with no issues but on the model it was grainy.

It sounds like you aren't mixing with enough paint thinner, or the air pressure is too high.

Just scored an old set of Super Scale 1/72 VFA-151, VFA-161, VFA-192 F/A-18A decals. I have two sets of them minus VFA-151. Now I can build an A and C variant in 1/72 for the GB. Now if someone would just put out a set of E decals I'd be all set! Whooooooooooooooo

Edited by tosouthern66

It sounds like you aren't mixing with enough paint thinner, or the air pressure is too high.

Johnopfor

I all ways test paint on plexi glass before attempting to paint on a model. Never had an issue with that. I just cant figure it out. It went on with the wet look but dried to the powder finish. I retested the paint the other day and it seems fine, I just dont get it. I wash the parts with dawn soap and just before painting I wipe it down with degreaser and rinse and dry. I even skipped the degreaser to see if that was causing my issue. No joy there either. Ill keep testing till I figure it out I hope.

Johnopfor

I all ways test paint on plexi glass before attempting to paint on a model. Never had an issue with that. I just cant figure it out. It went on with the wet look but dried to the powder finish. I retested the paint the other day and it seems fine, I just dont get it. I wash the parts with dawn soap and just before painting I wipe it down with degreaser and rinse and dry. I even skipped the degreaser to see if that was causing my issue. No joy there either. Ill keep testing till I figure it out I hope.

You say it dried to a powdered finish.

That can be caused by several things.

The two I can think of off the top of my head are:

1) Airbrush pressure is too high.

2) Not enough ventilation. The over-spray is fogging around the model and settling on it.

#1 can easily cause #2 even with moderate ventilation.

What air pressure do you normally spray at?

One possible remedy is to wet sand/polish the paint job after it has thoroughly cured. Just like it's done on auto paint to remove orange peel.

Speaking of auto paint; If you have an auto paint shop in your area, stop by and identify yourself as a model builder and would like tips for an ideal paint job. Tell them what you're currently doing when painting: Type of paint/how you thin it/airbrush set up/airbrush pressure/airbrushing area set up ,etc. They'll tell you right away if you have any issues and tell you the remedy(s). It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes of their time if you're specific and to the point. Also; shops don't mind giving advice because it's also a partial sales pitch whereas they've repeated their painting techniques all the time.

Hope all this helps.

You say it dried to a powdered finish.

That can be caused by several things.

The two I can think of off the top of my head are:

1) Airbrush pressure is too high.

2) Not enough ventilation. The over-spray is fogging around the model and settling on it.

#1 can easily cause #2 even with moderate ventilation.

What air pressure do you normally spray at?

One possible remedy is to wet sand/polish the paint job after it has thoroughly cured. Just like it's done on auto paint to remove orange peel.

Speaking of auto paint; If you have an auto paint shop in your area, stop by and identify yourself as a model builder and would like tips for an ideal paint job. Tell them what you're currently doing when painting: Type of paint/how you thin it/airbrush set up/airbrush pressure/airbrushing area set up ,etc. They'll tell you right away if you have any issues and tell you the remedy(s). It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes of their time if you're specific and to the point. Also; shops don't mind giving advice because it's also a partial sales pitch whereas they've repeated their painting techniques all the time.

Hope all this helps.

Check

I spray at 15psi when using enamels laqures I use 20-25psi and Createx/Wicked paints I use 40-50psi. I went threw all my trouble shooting technics and cant figure it out. I am going to order all new paint to see if the paint is just too old. I have had it for 3yrs now. Not sure how long its been sitting in a warehouse somewhere. Contacted a LHS in San Antonio today. Working on my paint order now. I have painted 1/1 F/A-18A's in the Navy, R/C cars and such so I have the basics down. All I can think of is paint is too old and past shelf life. Had a simular thing in the Navy and it eneded up being a paint issue. I have a bottle of MM insignia red I may test on something. We shall see.

Check

I spray at 15psi when using enamels laqures I use 20-25psi and Createx/Wicked paints I use 40-50psi. I went threw all my trouble shooting technics and cant figure it out. I am going to order all new paint to see if the paint is just too old. I have had it for 3yrs now. Not sure how long its been sitting in a warehouse somewhere. Contacted a LHS in San Antonio today. Working on my paint order now. I have painted 1/1 F/A-18A's in the Navy, R/C cars and such so I have the basics down. All I can think of is paint is too old and past shelf life. Had a simular thing in the Navy and it eneded up being a paint issue. I have a bottle of MM insignia red I may test on something. We shall see.

Oh, O.K.

How is the ventilation in the airbrush spray area?

I spray next to a floor fan (Set on med. or high) and pointed out of a window. This greatly reduces overspray fog that can cause the powder effect mentioned earlier.

Check

I have a self built paint booth. I have it set up for down draft with airbox and a 350cfm blower. I haven't seen much of overspray. It gets sucked down pretty good and vented through a bucket of water and then a final a/c filter.

Oh; That's actually a nice set up you have there.

From what I've read the downdraft makes logical sense.

Do you use an explosive-proof motor?

What do you use as a table for your paint booth?

Well toSouthern; You got me stumped.

You have an exceptional paint booth set up so that pretty much eliminates my concerns.

Keep experimenting; You'll find the cause(s) of your paint problems.

Which F-18 variant is it?

And what's your general review of it?

Its the F-18C "Operation Iraqi Freedom" Boxing.

There are tons of reviews out there on this kit already, it really set the new standard for 1/32 jets when it was first released. This boxing comes with really nice Cartograff decals also. I am planning on aftermarket metal main gear, seamless intakes, and a resin bang seat.

Its the F-18C "Operation Iraqi Freedom" Boxing.

There are tons of reviews out there on this kit already, it really set the new standard for 1/32 jets when it was first released. This boxing comes with really nice Cartograff decals also. I am planning on aftermarket metal main gear, seamless intakes, and a resin bang seat.

Be prepared for months (or however long it'll take you to complete it) of joy. That's by far my favorite kit that I have done.

Get the G-factor gear if you're going to get aftermarket gear legs. Otherwise the kit gear is very detailed and strong. Also I used a resin seat but I built up a kit seat and there was almost no difference. So something else to maybe think about to save money.

Decals are beyond superb and the amount of weapons included is almost comical! In a good way.

I just bought an Academy 72 Chippy Ho since I've always wanted a Chip. Plus I just got my EA-18G in the mail yesterday so I'm set for the GB.

Be prepared for months (or however long it'll take you to complete it) of joy. That's by far my favorite kit that I have done.

Get the G-factor gear if you're going to get aftermarket gear legs. Otherwise the kit gear is very detailed and strong. Also I used a resin seat but I built up a kit seat and there was almost no difference. So something else to maybe think about to save money.

Decals are beyond superb and the amount of weapons included is almost comical! In a good way.

I just bought an Academy 72 Chippy Ho since I've always wanted a Chip. Plus I just got my EA-18G in the mail yesterday so I'm set for the GB.

So purely from a model building standpoint, fitment/lack of flash etc, is that what makes it a joy?

My definition of a model that is a joy to build is one that has no flash to clean up and that the fitment of the parts is superb.

Secondary is it's details.

An excellent example of what I'm talking about is the Kinetic A-6E TRAM. Beautiful detail and scribed panel lines. But it's a POS fitment-wise. The gaps are freakin' Grand Canyon size! So you end up losing a lot of detail due to sanding

Everything about it is superb. Fit was near perfect. Hardly used any filler. The only times if did were to eliminate seams that aren't actually there but do to construction they are.

The detail straight out of the box is superb.

I was smiling the entire time I worked on it.

Check out my build thread in the large scale group build that ended a few months ago.

I'm an average modeler and I made it look good!

Everything about it is superb. Fit was near perfect. Hardly used any filler. The only times if did were to eliminate seams that aren't actually there but do to construction they are.

The detail straight out of the box is superb.

I was smiling the entire time I worked on it.

Check out my build thread in the large scale group build that ended a few months ago.

I'm an average modeler and I made it look good!

Awesome!

Academy should send you a finders fee because I will be adding a couple of those kits to my stash 271.gif .

It's info like your post that makes it easy for fellow modelers to shop with confidence knowing it's a good kit.

Thanks for your Cliff's Notes review 70.gif .

Are you familiar with the Revell 1/48th scale F-18E?

I'm very interested in a comparison between your lovely kit and said Revell kit.

I have said Revell in a W.I.P.

Using Jake's Super Hornet book as a reference; Revell did an outstanding job in representing detail and accuracy. And on a 'detail/accuracy/quality vs price' gauge, Revell's Super Hornet reigns absolutely supreme.

I want to build the 'F' but I'm very skeptical of the humongous price deference. I believe twice-the-price is reasonable on Revell vs Hasegawa (I'm using their F-4's as a price comparison). But 2.5 to 3.5 times the price deference seems unreasonable. If PE or other AM goodies are part of the kit, that would really bring the model down to a reasonable level.

BTW; I also want to do a Growler build as well 70.gif .

Short answer to the question "Are you familiar with the Revell F-18E kit?" is no! The F-18F, when I build it, will be my first F-18 build and it's the only F-18 in my stash. If you want to see photos of anything on the sprue though, let me know!

Cheers Looking forward to July 14!!!

Ian

Let me ask this of you all. How many of us have worked on the real deal? What unit are/were you with and what variant and what rating?

The closest I've worked on it was when I was with McDonnell Douglas in San Diego during the production prototype stage of the Super Hornet.

This is back in 1991-'96.

I got to play with the radome, forward fuselage section (From the cockpit forward), whole fuselage section.

Boeing bought us out and I was laid off.