F/A-18 Hornet Group Build Interest Thread & Poll

ARC F/A-18 Group Build  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in participating in an F/A-18 Group Build?

• Yes
    • No

Flying Leathernecks Models would like to sponsor the GB as well. Personally, I'm not concerned with having my logo/name placed on the banner. I will also help in any way I can by posting reference photos and/or information about the F/A-18's operated by the Marine Corps. Obviously, most of the airframe photos I have also apply to other users Hornets. Just let me know what you need and I'll dig through my photos and post it.

Flying Leathernecks Models would like to sponsor the GB as well. Personally, I'm not concerned with having my logo/name placed on the banner. I will also help in any way I can by posting reference photos and/or information about the F/A-18's operated by the Marine Corps. Obviously, most of the airframe photos I have also apply to other users Hornets. Just let me know what you need and I'll dig through my photos and post it.

Tun

Thats cool, contact ColinK hes our Mod for this build. Marine Bird photos would be great, we will probably see a few Marine markings during thei build. I know I have 2- 1/72 and 1- 1/48 F/A-18D's in my stash.

Want to thank Pete for the great Banner! You rock bud!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by tosouthern66

What options do I have if I want to build this in 1/72?

hist139b.jpg

White Wolf,

Oprion 1 - you will need to either find the first F-18 kit Hasegawa, which actually includes the decals (example) and hope the decals are good or the Minicraft reboxing (example) and find/make your own decals.

Option 2 - You can take an early -18A and do some back dating and come up with your own decals.

I have an Minicraft rebox at home and I can take pictures of the plastic if I get home at reasonable time.

Guys/Gals

To start out with I will be putting the USS Midway Hornet Squadrons back together in 1/72 scale. Thats VFA-151, VFA-192 and VFA-195! VFA-195 Will be a Frakinstein bird since I am having to combine decals from different Carriers to get her done! Viva CVW-5!!!!!!!

hist139b.jpg

At a glance, the stripes should be simple enough to do using mask-and-spray method. The roundels, "MARINES" and jet intake decals are probably fairly easy to obtain from spares (I think I have these at 1/72 scale that I can spare, if you like). The hard ones are those specific to this plane, such as the bee/hornet silhouette next to the "MARINES" sign.

hist139b.jpg

Don't shoot the messenger and keep the laughter down to a light roar as I have not seen the kit with my own eyes...but Hobbycraft did a 1/72 release with those markings. Now, the markings will probably be trash, but I wonder if the kit itself was a repop of one of the first released Hornet kits from Hasegawa/minicraft? Hobbycraft did a lot of that early on. Again...just throwing that out as those Hobbycraft hornets go for dirt cheap if they are just copies of the Hasegawa/minicraft kits.

Me too! I'll be off work on 1 and 2 July as well, while transitioning from one job role to another. Although, I suspect that the family would want to do something together, and not letting me have too much bench time... Being school holiday and all down here in Oz... :bandhead2:

Hi guys....hope everyone is getting their Hornet kits, decals and aftermarket goodies together! I know you're probably all foaming at the mouth to get this one going. I am as well. As for the banners, I really don't have the photoshop talent to do those, so really, any banners associated with build that are displayed by guys, well, their displayed on their own accord. I have personally never seen a need for a banner as they just add a lot of junk to a dudes signature on here. Having said that, if someone does make a banner, yes, let's try to give a shout out to our great sponsors. They can be found on the first post in this thread.

In any case, I already have 2 Hornet models under my belt as a warm up. Both were delivered to 410 "Cougars" in Cold Lake, last weekend. Now, to get ready to build a few more!!

I am currently working on my warm up bird as well. Trying to get over the top of this steep hill I have been on not finishing a kit. I am getting closer to finishing it. She aint going to be as pretty as I had hoped so she will be a shelf queen hiding behind her vail!

I'm in!

I've three choice:

- an Aussie Op. Falconer

- an ATARS

_ an OIF VFA-192 bird

all 1/72 Academy.

Still undecided,any inputs are welcomed!

Gianni

Kurn

My plan is for the following:

1/72 in stash

F/A-18A VFA-151 (Hasegawa)

F/A-18A VFA-192 (Hasegawa)

F/A-18A VFA-195 (Hasegawa)

F/A-18C VFA-151 (Hasegawa)

F/A-18C VFA-192 (Hasegawa)

F/A-18D ? (Hasegawa)

F/A-18D ? (Academy)

F/A-18E VFA-31 (Hasegawa)

F/A-18E VFA-14 (Hasegawa)

1/72 If I can swing the money

F/A-18B ? (Hasegawa)

F/A-18F VFA-103 (Hasegawa)

F/A-18F ? (Hasegawa)

EA-18G VAQ-136 If decals are available (Hasegawa)

This doesnt include the 1/48 kits I have.

You cant go wrong no matter which marking you use! Better yet do all three!!!!

Edited by tosouthern66