F/A-18 Hornet Group Build Interest Thread & Poll

ARC F/A-18 Group Build  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in participating in an F/A-18 Group Build?

• Yes
    • No

Well, right now, I'm looking at building an F/A-18D in USMC markings, an F/A-18E in VFA-14 markings and probably another CF-18.

Heck; Since you're listing your probable builds, I'll join you wink.gif .

1) An in flight F-18F with a 'buddy store'.

2) An in flight EA-18G Growler.

3) An in flight F-18E with a TBD loadout.

One will be in 1/32nd scale and the others in 1/48th scale.

If I'm feeling ambitious I might do a diorama of an F-18F with a buddy store refueling an F-18E.

For anyone who's built the 1/72 Academy, how did you get around the issue of the multi-part nose? I just test fitted mine and I can foresee that I'm going to have problems with getting everything to line up nicely.

That's interesting. I built mine a couple of years back and don't remember having any problems with the fit of the kit whatsoever.

Mark

That's interesting. I built mine a couple of years back and don't remember having any problems with the fit of the kit whatsoever.

Mark

Same here, I don't remember having any issues with the nose/ forward fuselage.

Ok guys,

I will step in and do two for the group build, I have a Hasegawa F/A-18D and a Revell F/A-18E that I am going to do in aggressor blue scheme. Little nervous about this as I have never even posted any of my builds but I need to get out of my shell.

Frank Blackwell "Ryan34"

Ok guys,

I will step in and do two for the group build, I have a Hasegawa F/A-18D and a Revell F/A-18E that I am going to do in aggressor blue scheme. Little nervous about this as I have never even posted any of my builds but I need to get out of my shell.

Frank Blackwell "Ryan34"

You and me, both.

I've never participated in a group build nor posted a W.I.P. build.

We have six months to prep for this GB so we should be in good shape.

Here are my previous Hornet builds. All Hasegawa 1:48.

100_7617.jpg

A question regarding your Hasegawa Super Hornet:

Did Hasegawa open the fresh air inlet scoops (Located between MLG and exhaust cans) ?

Here's a pic. The inlet scoop I'm referring to is below the 'VY' in 'NAVY'. It's NACA-duct shaped and the opening lip is in the 1 O'clock/7 O'clock angle.

A506EEC8E.jpg

I'm just curious. My Hasegawa 30th anniversary F-4E's inlet scoop at the leading edge base of the VS is open and was wondering if Hasegawa did the same with the inlet scoops on the Super Hornet.

I'm currently building the Revell 1/48th scale F-18E and the inlet scoops are presented nicely but are closed. I'm painstakingly opening them up with a Dremel tool.

BTW; Beautiful work you've done on your Super Hornet 70.gif !

Ok guys,

Frank Blackwell "Ryan34"

Frank...welcome aboard! Nothing to be nervous about though. I encourage everyone to post some in progress shots of their work. We're not here to judge, we're here to help...and above all, have fun building under a common theme......Hornets.

Colin

Any thing new with the moderation of the build? Just wondering, been away for a few days. Needed a break from this dang blasted electronic time eating machine!

Not sure what you mean by moderation.

Colin

What I am asking is do you have enough help with the GB?

Oh! At this point, no......but, could probably use some help once we have the GB forum set up. If you'd like to be another mod, I'd certainly welcome it.

Not much to do now though, other than keep posting here once and a while to bump the thread, and keep guys interested.

Oh! At this point, no......but, could probably use some help once we have the GB forum set up. If you'd like to be another mod, I'd certainly welcome it.

Not much to do now though, other than keep posting here once and a while to bump the thread, and keep guys interested.

Colin

I haven't built an Aircraft model since 92/93 and a car model in maybe 3 years. I joined in the Bent Wing buid and couldnt finish the one bird I started for it. This will be my 1st GB I complete atleast 1 aircraft. If I dont I will be selling/giving everything I have away and getting out of the hobby. This is my last chance at getting back in the groove! When I asked the question on if there had ever been a Hornet Group build I was just looking to see what others have built for tips. I have the problem of starting a kit and getting stuck with something on it and putting it away and then lose interest.

Colin

I haven't built an Aircraft model since 92/93 and a car model in maybe 3 years. I joined in the Bent Wing buid and couldnt finish the one bird I started for it. This will be my 1st GB I complete atleast 1 aircraft. If I dont I will be selling/giving everything I have away and getting out of the hobby. This is my last chance at getting back in the groove! When I asked the question on if there had ever been a Hornet Group build I was just looking to see what others have built for tips. I have the problem of starting a kit and getting stuck with something on it and putting it away and then lose interest.

Well, what scale would you like to build in? We can always suggest ideas and helpful tips.

Neu

Thanks, I have a large selection on hand to choose from. I have the ability and ideas its just the follow threw that stops me. I have many kits ( air and auto ) that I have started but fall short completing. One mistake on a kit I get discouraged and back in the box it goes. Most of the time its my painting that goes wrong. The last kit the paint ended up powdering on me. I tested the paint on plexi glass with no issues but on the model it was grainy. I have a 1/72 Hasegawa Hornet on the table now, just need some time to give it a go. Thanks for the help

Neu

Thanks, I have a large selection on hand to choose from. I have the ability and ideas its just the follow threw that stops me. I have many kits ( air and auto ) that I have started but fall short completing. One mistake on a kit I get discouraged and back in the box it goes. Most of the time its my painting that goes wrong. The last kit the paint ended up powdering on me. I tested the paint on plexi glass with no issues but on the model it was grainy. I have a 1/72 Hasegawa Hornet on the table now, just need some time to give it a go. Thanks for the help

When was the last time you actually finished a model?

If I may offer some advice; I'll use a bicycle race metaphor:

It's not just about winning the race that's important, it's also about finishing. Finish the race no matter how far behind you are.

IMHO; Finishing a model is as important as doing a good job.

No matter how bad it looks; finish the model.

If you get stuck on something, make a decision, but move forward and finish the model.

No matter how the progress is going, finish the model.

Finish the model!