P-38 colour question

G'day people,

I need some help to determine the correct colour to paint the wheel bay and undercarriage for an upcoming P-38G ("Miss Virginia") flown by Lt. Barber during the Admiral Yamamoto shoot down in April 1943. The aircraft was painted in overal olive drab over neutral grey and belonged to the 339 Fighter Group based in the Pacific theatre.

I would like to know what the correct colour for the wheel bays should be as I am considering using either Zinc chromate yellow, zinc chromate green or interior green.

I think that the u/c legs should be silver(painted silver) and the wheel hubs either silver or neutral grey?

thanks,

Pappy

Hi Pappy,

Eduard give H58 interior green bays, aluminium gear in their version of that aircraft in their P38 Early Lightenings boxing. Here is the link to the store page:

http://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/Plastic-kits/Limited-edition/Aircraft/1-48/P-38F-G-H-Early-Lightnings-1-48.html?cur=2&force_sid=a8f4a8bdbf7cf7c3d6b06ecd80606937

Regards,

Kent

I need some help to determine the correct colour to paint the wheel bay and undercarriage for an upcoming P-38G ("Miss Virginia") flown by Lt. Barber during the Admiral Yamamoto shoot down in April 1943.

You read the posts to ARC by John Clements P-38 "Miss Virginia" and More Notes On "Miss Virginia". John posted these back in 2008. Fortunately, the links to the pictures still work.

And here's the end of "Miss Virginia".

Don

Edited by don f

G'day Don,

Thank you very much for the links, really good info there that has proven very useful. The information on the radio fit was something I was not aware of at all.

DSCN9024_zps349c826b.jpg

3055_zpsb13ec234.jpg

3054_zpse764566a.jpg

3056_zps83590b1e.jpg

Unfortunately I have already completed the cockpit of my Hasegawa kit and I do not want to alter teh details as I will end up ruining the work already completed!

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121
  • 1 month later...

Greetings mates,

I just stumbled across this thread. I think I may have some photos to contribute. Two photos of my late father (Steven W. Hockett) taken on Guadalcanal during the summer of 1943 while he was a pilot assigned to the 12th Fighter Squadron. Serial number of the top aircraft is 43-2187. The bottom aircraft is serial number 43-2186. Anyway, for your viewing pleasure, two more possibly undocumented Guadalcanal P-38G's. According to my dad, the Army fighter squadrons shared the P-38's So, even though the P-38's were nominally assigned to the 339th FS, they were flown by pilots from the 12th FS as well. I don't know if the 44th FS, and 67th FS shared them also. There were simply not enough P-38's to go around in the South Pacific.

Dad-P-38-1.jpg

Dad-P-38-2.jpg

Edited by Ham

Thanks for sharing those photo's. You don't see much from the 12th FS. I have some in my collection. You have any others?

I think the 70th FS shared P-38's with also.

Mike

Ask and ye shall receive...OK actually this is all I have. Photo of 12th Fighter Squadron pilots at Fighter 2 airstrip on Guadalcanal, summer 1943. My dad Steven W. Hockett is back row, second from left. His good friend Bill Smith is back row, far right. Squadron commander, Lew Kittel is middle row, third from left.

12-FS-1943.jpg