Seamless Intakes for Academy 1/48 Phantom

I'll stick to Alley Cat, they have no problems.........

Opps ... I didn't want to start comparing resin bits/kits ... and I certainly hope I didn't highlight any "problems" that would discourage anyone from considering the XMM kit. To the contrary, I was trying to show the small tweaks that my pieces required.

I've not seen the Alley Cat kit - does it have temperature probes and spacers? In that regard, can you point me to a review of the Alley Cat intakes where the builder actually does the fitting to the kit (not just pictures of the parts as in your review on BritModeller), please? Have you also used other sets, like those from DMM?

Thanks.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

They appear to be seamless versions of the Academy intakes: http://www.hyperscale.com/2013/reviews/accessories/a2zeepreview2012_3.htm

Thanks, Ben. I saw that "review" and a couple of others, but they were only "in box" views. Since I sense a face off of sorts looming, I have to state that I didn't get my kit as a sample from XMM. :rolleyes:

Gene K Out

Very good fit?

From your images Gene there is a large mis-profiling on the blend back into the kit and the gap at the top.

Combined with the huge lower gap and i am far from as impressed as you...

Also the upper profile near the vents looks to zig zag along.

Look pretty average from here..

I want to add that now sets equipped with a few changes and more accurate splitters-ramps

As for the temp sensor and supports, unfortunately, to make its from resin accurate, in scale and strong at the same time is quite problematic. It is rather for manufacturers of photoetching

The Academy 1/48 Phantom is certainly an outstanding kit, however, I was extremely disappointed with the intakes (expectations were too high):

First, there is a large step where the trunking meets the inside of the intakes;

Second, the interior of the intakes need putty to fill ejector marks and the skinned-over holes for the shoulder antennas;

Third, there are no temperature sensors included for the intakes (so accordingly no locating holes);

Fourth, there are no supports between the intakes and the fuselage;

Fifth, the bleed air exits on top and bottom of the ramps are missing.

and six :)/>/>

Shape of duct and its dimensions has nothing to do with reality

(And immediately a trick question. Is this an insignificant trifle or a big drawback ? :blink: )

Edited by dinozavr

From your images Gene there is a large mis-profiling ....

Man oh man ...I very intentionally stated that the parts were only taped together.

OK - post deleted ... feel batter now?

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

I'll stick to Alley Cat, they have no problems.........

All conversion sets have its advantages and disadvantages.

Could you give a similar review for Alley Cat with the similar photoes, considering all the quality (quality of casting, parts list, as far as air intakes similar to intakes of real aircraft inside and outside, fit to the kit, packaging, service, price and so on)? I think the only way to make an objective evaluation

Edited by dinozavr