Academy 1/72 F-35A

Compared to the preview images of the Italeri one. This one got the external pylons and they didn't goof up the canopy as bad as Italeri where they put a second arch on the aft of the canopy which can be noticed in this photo http://www.cybermode...t_1331_01.shtml

But both still got the first arch wrong, it sits inside the canopy not outside :/

As you can see in this photo:

9251051534_1d68e8bd80.jpg

F-35A in Flight by Lockheed Martin, on Flickr

The big arch is a separate structure inside the canopy. And that line in the aft portion of the canopy, just behind the seat is a detonating cord which Italeri added erroneously as a pretty prominent arch and part of the frame :bandhead2:/>.

I wonder how hard will it be to sand/polish it down in both kits :/

Edited by Inquisitor

^ The Fujimi kit is an F-35B, not an A. ;)/>

Two things that are an improvement over the Italeri kit are the wing pylons and the pilot figure. :woo:/>

Academy has a better selection of weapons too....

But the Academy surface looks....strange. To fix it it could be difficult if you wont keep other details.

Italeri surface is smooth.

Are you looking at the same pics as me? The academy kity appears nice and smoooth to me and the italeri pics I've seen show that the RAM panels are way raised up.

Think it's just a botched paint job. Look at the unpainted kit next to the one that is. To me it looks to have a smoother finish. Could be that whomever painted it was mixing the color with something to make have the metallic sheen, just didn't thin it enough, sprayed it at low pressure and or had dirt in the paint.

I'm waiting to see how expensive it will be. The Italeri kit at $39.00 for the detail it has is pricey to me.

Mark S.

Edited by Mark S.

But the Academy surface looks....strange. To fix it it could be difficult if you wont keep other details.

Italeri surface is smooth.

I was able to fondle the Italeri kit a few nights ago, and the surface was far from smooth.

Academy's site says november 2013, but we're a few days away from december and no signs of this kit, not even with the usual korean ebay sellers.

Hmmmmm, they still have a week, hopefully it will be soon then. Can you point me to these Korean ebay sellers? I would love to find a source of academy kits and cut MRC's rediculous mark up out.

Usually release dates coincide with the lat day of the month. Sure they can release something sooner but more often than not I see things with such and such month release date come out on the 30th or 31st.

It's a nice looking kit I may have to pick one up.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Long time no see!

I received my Academy kit of the F-35A today, but I'm missing a crucial part.

Edit: never mind, part is there.

Great kit, pity they don't include Cartograf printed decals this time.

Edited by pollie
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

I've got the IT kit and to my 52 year old Mk I eyeballs it doesn't appear to be overdone. Cannot comment on the ACA version, have only seen pictures.

I thought the eccentuated RAM is only painted to stand out on the LRIP aircraft and was of the understanding that full production aircraft will be basic squadron schemes therefore the RAM will be significantly less noticeable.

Back to the IT kit, I can live without the weapons load (I'll scratchbuild my own pylons if I want to add weapons) but the IT comes with a complete engine and that won it for me from a maintenance diorama perspective.

Edited by AussieTim
  • 4 weeks later...