Eduard 1:48 Snakeyes (648128)

I've generally been very impressed with the Eduard ordnance kits and bought quite a few of them. But, it looks like they blew it with their Mk 82/Mk 15 Snakeyes (kit 648128). The most obvious thing is the lack of the 'U-shaped' cutout on the fins. The lack of a cutout is the big tipoff that you're looking at a 250-lb Mk 81/Mk 14 Snakeye. That much is beyond dispute.

The other thing that I'm highly suspicious of (I don't have the kit so I can't say for sure) is that the fins should overlay the warhead by over 5 inches. If that wasn't factored in, either the bomb is too long or the fin is too short. NOT including the fuze, the warhead and fin should be 85.5" long (~45mm), and the fin blades 30.5" (~16mm).

Anyone with the kit care to comment?

Here and here

Despite their titles, those are GREAT shots of Mk 14 fins on the Mk 81 250-kb bomb. Look at how far apart the suspension lugs look, yet they are only 14" apart. Here are some photos of the Mk 15 fin that show what I'm talking about with respect to overlap and the U-shaped cutout.

050406-55Mk15Mod4fin_zps4e02703d.jpg

051109-224Mk15openfinfnt_zps11d34237.jpg

Plus a bonus. Here is a scale drawing showing the Snakeye fin when compared with the Vietnam-era MAU-93 and current BSU-33 conical fins:

Mk-82s_zpsb087438f.jpg

Bottom line, the more I see, the more convinced I am that Eduard blew it on these. :crying2:/>

Edited by mrvark

who makes the best in 1/48?

I guess the old Hasegawa weapons kit, but really nobody does a good one in 1:48th. Part of the problem is that the 'official' drawings are woefully inadequate and clearly done without reference to actual engineering drawings. I measures a real fin (repeatedly) to come up with my drawing. Therefore, all the model makers have been guessing based on inadequate information.

If I may Jim....what is your opinion of the Eduard 1/48 AIM-7E's and how they would fit on an Academy or Hasegawa "C" Eagle. I've entertained the idea using AIM-120's, but not sure how they would mount on kit.

The problem here isn't the Eduard missiles (which from my limited perusal look fine), but the load out. The F-15s only carried the AIM-7F and later AIM-7M, never the AIM-7E. Save those for an F-4 or f-104S.

Jim

I think Aerobonus is the only current resin maker with AIM-7Fs out there, SB has them listed. Accuracy? IDK-IDCTM

Don't have those; do have the Brassin AIM-7Ms (648069), which were much more widely used. While they aren't perfect, they're much better than any kit missiles. They include the blunter von Karman radome and the shape, conduits,and flying surfaces all look good. About the only faults I see in them are that the suspension hangars/'button' and umbilical connection are about 2mm too far forward. The TDDs are about 1.5mm too far forward. And, while the shape of the radome is correct, the white part should only be the front 7mm, not the 9mm indicated (although that panel line is correct). But those are all minor errors, especially when compared with kit missiles.

Mr Vark,

Have you seen Master choice/Verlinden resin snakeyes 1/48? I have4 or 5 boxes and I thought those were accurate, looked way better than any other...

Cheers

P

Just Googled them and (based only on a photo of the box top) it looks like they suffer from the same problem I think the Brassin ones have--no overlap of the fin onto the warhead. You can check for yourself using the measurements I provided at the end of Post #1 above.

Edited by mrvark
the same problem I think the Brassin ones have--no overlap of the fin onto the warhead.

Actually it is possible that Eduard Snakeyes have the overlap reproduced. I measured their regular Mk 82 some time ago and their warheads were about 1 mm too short at the rear end and the diameter there was too large. It is very likely that their warhead actually represents the visible part of the Snakeye bomb with fins folded, so what was wrong for normal Mk 82, may be correct for Snakeye.

Of course the missing cutout is still a problem.

• 1 month later...

This is going on over on Zone Five too.

I've just got my hands on a set of these and the I have a few obs

The fins look more like the Mk14 version fitted to the Mk81, however the dimensions of the body is consistent with other Mk82.

The leading edge of the widest fins is sharply raked back and the trailing edge almost perpendicular to the central axis!

This is not how I have seen any pics of Mk15 fins where the leading edge is almost perpendicular and the trailing is is the raked one.

If you want a Mk15 fin, a simple fix with styrene strip if you are already going to have to do the notches?

The pair of smaller fins between the large fins are more finely represented than any other manufacturers efforts, really nice!

The length of the body when aligning the suspension lugs alongside a "Flightpath Mk82/BSU-49" body shows the Eduard body is longer towards the nose. (by the length of the fuse actually)

The suspension lugs line up with the Flightpath path example. With ref to post #1 I think the body is too long in front of the lugs

As Eduards description is for "Early Fins" it would be interesting to see what these are meant to be modelled on.

Given that ED have modelled the body separate I would be expecting more versions, MK15 later mods, Navy BSU-86...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Upon further review:

I think I see what's going on now that Eduard has released their new 'late model' Snakeyes (648137).

The original (early type) set (648128), that lacks the 'U' shaped cutouts on the fins, actually reflects the Mk 14 fin that was used with the 250-lb Mk 81 warhead--so it is a total fiction. (That is a subtle error that is easy to make if you're looking at photos of the bombs without something else to provide a sense of scale--unless you look at the lug spacing). The new kit correctly reflects the Mk 15 fin used with the 500-lb Mk 82.

Someone who has the kit says that the warhead to the very front of the fin is about 30mm long. Because of fin overlap, this should only be 28.6mm. The distance from the center of the rear lug to the very front of the fin is about 7.7mm, but should be 7mm,(to the part of the fin that is perpendicular to the centerline should be 7.5mm). The fin length is 16mm which is correct! So, it looks like the fin may be okay, but the warhead too long! That could cause nose-to-tail clearance problems if mounting them on a MER, but is okay as far as the fin goes (I'll still avoid the original release). However, it does raise questions about the warhead length of all the Eduard Mk 82s.

Edited by mrvark
  • 8 months later...

Hi to all

I found this thread while looking for 1/48 Mk.81 bombs with snakeye fin for an A-4E.

Well, I can´t find the bombs I need, so I have one question:

- If Eduard´s kit isn´t correct and the fins looks more like Mk.14, would be correct to use it with a Mk.81 from Hasegawa obtaining a Mk.81 Snakeye?

I dind´t find any information about Mk.14 dimensions and just thisabout Mk.15 fins.

Thanks for your help, and excuse my bad english <_<