XBOX ONE - First Impressions

So I picked up the system at the midnight launch, and since I don't live in a big city I only had to wait till 2 AM to actually get it haha.

Before I start, some background, in the previous generation I had the PS3 and Xbox 360 which I got on launch days for each respectively. Before those I've had everything from a commodore 64 (brothers) to a Nintendo, N64, PS, PS2 etc.

- Unwrapping the console I noticed it only had one HDMI cable in slot, I would have liked to have 2 or 3 slots to control all my other devices. So the satelite is going through the Xbox One, as the console allows you to switch instantly between playing a game and watching TV. Which works as advertised, - commercial break comes on and switch to the game progress a bit in the level and back to TV.

After the console updates, you have a windows style home screen which is configurable, and customizable (colors, style, etc). An evolution of the 360's system, which has changed over time since the launch. In comparison to the PS3 which never changed it's interface for 6 or 7 years.

From here you need to install the games on the hardrive, it takes a while, COD Ghosts and Battlefield are something like 40+ gigs. You don't need to wait for the whole thing to install before you play as it allows you to started playing once a chunk of it is loaded.

The games themselves look awesome, in particular Ryse (you play as roman soldier) is spectacular. Not up to a dedicated gaming computer level but I'm not paying that price also....

The multiplayer seems to allow more players this time around, in Battlefield 4 there was something like 60 players at one time, better than the older generation of consoles. Speaking of online, another strong point for the One, is their dedicated servers, no more migrating hosts, a host leaving a session. In 3 days of playing I didn't have one dropped game or any host migrations.

I was surprised how much they integrated the Kinect 2.0 in regular games, there are the usual voice commands which work well , but the sensor will track your head and body to see if it tilts. In Battlefield 4 in particular, if you get into a vehicle your head, and body movement controls your free look. Look right and the view looks rights as the vehicle continues ahead. Pretty useful if flying the jets or helo's in Battlefield.

Speaking of the Kinect, and the biggest reason for buying a One over a PS4, I have a bunch of daughters so dance games, Kinect sports, Disney interactive games was a must have. The sensor is pretty accurate, and it doesn't have tilt like the old one. It's always on, as you walk into the room and say "xbox - on" and the system fires up. Once on the home screen it signs you in automatically. When other people enter the room it will sign them in also, my wife walked in and it pops up with a greeting - pretty neat.

The sensor isn't just for games, if you download the xbox fitness app, the sensor records your progress, style, number of reps and even heart rate during exercise. P90X is free with a gold membership, Insanity is on there also and a few others for the ladies, Jillian

michaels is another one. You can set reminders to exercise also, so while playing a game or watching TV it'll suggest you do some exercise, again pretty neat.

Again some interesting things, there is a bunch of other interesting stuff but football is on. Oh and this all IMHO

Sounds pretty cool but as a whole, this new gen feels a bit rushed and unimpressive ...

I thought the leap from PS2/Xbox to X360/PS3 was greater ... I'm sure that the launch games are a Big part of my feelings and that will change as the next wave of games come out but right now, I just have a "meh" feeling ... This from a gamer since Pong and Space Wars...

Glad you're enjoying your new XBone ...

-Gregg

I eventually want to get one but will end up waiting until the bugs get worked out. I doubt I will end up using most of the features. So do you have to have the kinect hooked up or can I just not use it. Never was a fan of voice command stuff and don't like the fact that it is always on.

Sounds pretty cool but as a whole, this new gen feels a bit rushed and unimpressive ...

I thought the leap from PS2/Xbox to X360/PS3 was greater ... I'm sure that the launch games are a Big part of my feelings and that will change as the next wave of games come out but right now, I just have a "meh" feeling ... This from a gamer since Pong and Space Wars...

Glad you're enjoying your new XBone ...

-Gregg

Metal Gear 5 should blow a lot of people's minds.

I eventually want to get one but will end up waiting until the bugs get worked out. I doubt I will end up using most of the features. So do you have to have the kinect hooked up or can I just not use it. Never was a fan of voice command stuff and don't like the fact that it is always on.

You don't need the Kinect, and supposedly it stays in standby mode until it senses motion in the room. Haha I have tried to turn the console on by yelling around a corner to no avail.

As for the voice command stuff, its pretty good once you know the commands. One of the coolest features is the Snap option, which is the ability to stay on the screen you are on (say playing a game) and you want to see or run an APP, you say Snap TV, or Snap Music. Then a 1/4 of your right screen shifts to that app. So you can play music, watch TV, or whatever while you play. Again pretty neat, they spent a lot of time designing this interface.

Cheers!

Edited by GRAIL007

Neat thermal imagery of both new consoles .

>>> XBox One <<<

>>> PS4 <<<

-Gregg

That is interesting to see how much heat goes out the back of the consoles and how hot they get. The big circular heat source on the xbox is a big fan, according to some websites that have taken them apart. I also noticed the PS4 pouring out a good 20 degrees more at peak usage, I hope they don't run into heating problems down the road.

cheers!

That is interesting to see how much heat goes out the back of the consoles and how hot they get. The big circular heat source on the xbox is a big fan, according to some websites that have taken them apart. I also noticed the PS4 pouring out a good 20 degrees more at peak usage, I hope they don't run into heating problems down the road.

cheers!

I guess both of the new consoles are considerably cooler than early model 360s & PS3s ... Look how much venting both new machines have ...

MGS V looks pretty good but ... Keifer Sutherland ? What up Hideo ? And it's a prequel/sequel ... And it's coming out on PS3/360 as well ...

-Gregg

I guess both of the new consoles are considerably cooler than early model 360s & PS3s ... Look how much venting both new machines have ...

MGS V looks pretty good but ... Keifer Sutherland ? What up Hideo ? And it's a prequel/sequel ... And it's coming out on PS3/360 as well ...

-Gregg

I haven't really read up on the game much aside from the new Fox engine they designed for it. Storywise I have no idea so I'll have to check it out. I thought it was going to be after 4 again and don't see how much more prequel they could get unless they tried to redo the original Nintendo Metal Gears for the modern age. The early early gameplay I saw though was amazing. Plus I had read that it was going to be completely open world.

I think there is a general "meh" on both launches. There are some great games on the current systems. There were issues with the launch consoles last time. Everyone I know is saying they will wait to buy the 2nd version of these systems. Me too.

I was so put off by the XBoxONE Launch I want no part of it. Its features are gimmicky to me, and seemingly redundant in a lot of ways.

I couldn't agree more. I mean honestly how often will people end up using options to watch tv and play xbox at the same time. They just seem like options that will wow people for a bit until they get bored of them. Kind of like the Wii.

I usually wait for a couple of production lots into buying a new console ... I don't really want to be a beta tester ... The last console I got Day One was the Sega Saturn ... Still one of my all time favorite consoles ...

-Gregg

I couldn't agree more. I mean honestly how often will people end up using options to watch tv and play xbox at the same time. They just seem like options that will wow people for a bit until they get bored of them. Kind of like the Wii.

The Snap feature is more than just watching TV, you can run any app on the side. You can check achievements, check your friends online to coordinate a game, use the music player, use youtube, etc. I have actually used it quite a lot. Speaking of Youtube, the Xbox One pairs your smart phone to make it another controller. So while you play the game, you can have youtube snapped on the side being controlled with your smartphone. I was playing Battlefield 4, while I youtube some Fighter Fling videos (I'm building 2 1/48 Tomcats). I've also brought up machinima app to look at the a walkthrough for a game.

You can continue to play custom music while you play, which is a nice feature carried over from the 360.

I haven't tried the Skype calling yet, which is another feature you can use while playing. Just like a phone you can answer or ignore, and you can limit it to voice only if you want. Since I have in-laws that head down to Yuma for the winter, I think this feature will be used alot also.

There is some other neat things it does, it recognizes the person using the controller so it doesn't matter which controller you pick up, it'll match your profile with that controller. I was wondering why they didn't add a controller number option on each controller (represented by a light bar indicated 1 - 4 around the xbox home button on the 360's controller), and now I know.

I'm pretty impressed with the system so far, they put a ton of features into the console right from the start, and seeing how they updated the 360 all the time, they will definitely be adding more as time goes on.

cheers