1:48 Republic F-84F Thunderstreak by HobbyBoss - an Enhanced Build

Having completed the HobbyBoss F-84F from the box, I am commencing to build my second kit "enhanced" with the new AMS Resin upgrade/correction set that I picked up today from Hairoldcut (photos and info below), and Scale Aircraft Conversions landing gear set #48143. It is my intent to open the gun bay and detail with the Aires set #4096 for the Tamiya Thunderjet. Note that I am aware I might have a thrash on my hands to make that set fit the HobbyBoss fuselage. Nothing tried, nothing gained.

As with all the other F-84F kits in 48th scale, the HobbyBoss tail is not correct for either short or long tail versions. When I kitbashed my Heller/Fonderie RF-84F, I corrected to the Thunderflash long tail using parts from a Monogram F-84F kit; this was done to correct the fin height, the rudder balance weight, and the recessed panel that moves with the flying tail.

F-84F-HobbyBoss-Compared-ShortampLong-Tail-Illustration-BoVe-note.jpg

HobbyBoss F-84F tail compared to Verhegghen's illustration of short and long tail Thunderstreak versions.

f-84f-any-ams-upgrade-x-x-ho-48nnn-20131124-002-bc-ho48note-0f406-900.jpg

AMS Resin update/correction set for the HobbyBoss F-84F.

f-84f-any-ams-upgrade-x-x-ho-48nnn-20131124-004-bc-ho48amre-0f407-900.jpg

Corrected intake splitter and nose gear well. After we chatted about the matter, Hairoldcut has corrected the intake trunks to contour downward (to pass under the cockpit) as on the real Thunderstreaks.

f-84f-any-ams-upgrade-x-x-ho-48nnn-20131124-013-bc-ho48note-0f416-900.jpg

AMS Resin pilot seat compared to HobbyBoss kit assembly.

f-84f-any-ams-upgrade-x-x-ho-48nnn-20131124-016-bc-ho48note-0f419-900.jpg

Hairoldcut has made corrected suck-in doors. Left to right: cutout of kit part; inside view of AMS part snaped into place; AMS part outside view.

f-84f-any-ams-upgrade-x-x-ho-48nnn-20131124-014-bc-ho48note-0f417-900.jpg

The HobbyBoss kit main wheels are not correct; AMS Resin set includes replacements. A corrected nosewheel is in the works.

f-84f-any-ams-upgrade-x-x-ho-48nnn-20131124-015-bc-ho48note-0f418-900.jpg

The kit gunsight is ... minimal ... a replacement is included in the AMS set.

That's all for now, folks.

Resin looks like very worthwhile addition..but then Harolds stuff always is!

Thanks,

I am still finalizing some of the masters. Just a bit more cleaning up and I will be casting them to send to Gordon at Sprue Bros.

Cheers,

Harold

Edited by Harold

Shows in stock!!

Dad-burn it! - I quit using Megastore a couple of years ago after their shipping costs (at least to the US) skyrocketed. I'll keep checking Lucky Model, and in the meantime get your update set when Sprue gets it in stock. (by the way, you may want to have Gordon indicate that your 48004 is for the Rev/Kinetic kit to avoid any confusion with your new set).

Thanks, and sorry for cluttering this thread.

Gene K

It is my intent to open the gun bay and detail with the Aires set #4096 for the Tamiya Thunderjet. Note that I am aware I might have a thrash on my hands to make that set fit the HobbyBoss fuselage. Nothing tried, nothing gained.

My first order of business for the build was to "fit" the Aires gun bay set for Tamiya F-84G into the HobbyBoss F-84F. The size difference is rather obvious.

f-84f-61-re-53-6698-greece-black-689-20131127-001-bc-bc48bash-0f423-900.jpg

Aires gun bay atop AMS Resin intake/nose gear bay.

f-84f-61-re-53-6698-greece-black-689-20131127-002-bc-bc48bash-0f424-900.jpg

Aires gun bay atop AMS Resin intake/nose gear bay.

f-84f-61-re-53-6698-greece-black-689-20131127-004-bc-bc48bash-0f425-900.jpg

HobbyBoss F-84F nose is longer than the Tamiya F-84G nose.

f-84f-61-re-53-6698-greece-black-689-20131127-006-bc-bc48bash-0f426-900.jpg

Still working on fitment. Think anyone will notice the size difference when I pose the gun bay door open? Pondering whether I should scratch build a cover to fit.

Edited by Plankwing

Dad-burn it! - I quit using Megastore a couple of years ago after their shipping costs (at least to the US) skyrocketed. I'll keep checking Lucky Model, and in the meantime get your update set when Sprue gets it in stock. (by the way, you may want to have Gordon indicate that your 48004 is for the Rev/Kinetic kit to avoid any confusion with your new set).

Thanks, and sorry for cluttering this thread.

Gene K

That's a good idea Gene. Thanks,

Harold

This is the HobbyBoss fuselage compared to the Cox drawing which was done using plumb-bobs to measure F-84F-45-RE 52-7102.

f-84f-45-re-52-7102-usaf-cox-drawing-48th-compare-hobbyboss-1200.jpg

Note that the length of the nose of the kit compares favorably to the drawing. As the Aires gun bay for the Tamiya Thunderjet is clearly shorter than the gun bay of the HobbyBoss kit, that raises the question (which I have yet to investigate) of whether the gun bay on Thunderjets was approx 1' shorter than the gun by on the Thunderstreaks.

I have done a dry fit of the nose gear to both the kit part and the AMS replacement; both fit with a bit of tweaking to the attachment parts of the SAC part. The main gear struts fit the kit part without any modification. The caveat is, no wheels with the SAC set plus no fender for the nose wheel. Harold's set includes the main wheels, I'll defer to Harold about any plans for including a nose wheel and fender.

Could make marketing sense to have two separate sets, one with only the gear.

Gene K

I am hoping I can talk Doug (Royale Resin) Smith into doing the set. Mine are fine, but I think he can knock out a perfect set for all three tires.

UPDATE to my comment above that SAC main gear for F-84F would fit HobbyBoss kit part, note that the peg on the SAC part must be filed to fit the pocket on the kit, see photo below.

f-84f-61-re-53-6698-greece-black-689-20131130-003-bc-bc48bash-0f438-900.jpg

More progress on fitting the Aires gun bay to the HB kit.

f-84f-61-re-53-6698-greece-black-689-20131130-006-bc-bc48bash-0f440-901.jpg

Used two Kinetic kit hoods to cut and paste to make a hood to fit the HB.

f-84f-61-re-53-6698-greece-black-689-20131130-016-bc-bc48bash-0f450-901.jpg

The two parts glued up then primered.

f-84f-61-re-53-6698-greece-black-689-20131130-002-bc-bc48bash-0f437-900.jpg

The HB kit has no detail on the cockpit sides, these are from the same Aires detail set as the gun bay.

f-84f-61-re-53-6698-greece-black-689-20131130-015-bc-bc48bash-0f449-901.jpg

I wanted to "test" whether resin main gear wells would be a viable upgrade so this is a "trial" using the Aires parts for the Kinetic kit. I had to "thin" the parts quite a bit to enable the wing halves to fit.

f-84f-61-re-53-6698-greece-black-689-20131130-011-bc-bc48bash-0f445-900.jpg

The Aires main gear well fitted, left, and the kit part, right.

f-84f-61-re-53-6698-greece-black-689-20131130-019-bc-bc48bash-0f453-900.jpg

The SAC main gear fitted to the kit part.

f-84f-61-re-53-6698-greece-black-689-20131130-013-bc-bc48bash-0f447-900.jpg

The SAC main gear fitted to the Aires part.

Here endeth the lesson.

Did the SAC main gear fit into the kit hole ok?

I think that might be all it needs, SAC gear with resin main and nose wheels

The peg on the SAC main gear has to be filed down some to fit into the HB kit pocket. So, yes, the main gear fits with that bit of filing. After doing the deed to replace the HB main gear wells with the modified Aires parts, I conclude the very minor improvement is not worth the effort. Thus, IMHO, there is no need to replace the HB main gear wells, and the SAC gear with resin main and nose wheel/fender will fill the bill for needed HB landing gear upgrade.

HB kit is a pain in the a.. it seems. So much corrections needed...

Tim, please consider that this build is a "test" where I'm doing a "what works and what doesn't" build, so I suggest not to take this build as "what has to be done" to make it right. In fact, I've suggested to Harold that he make available two sets. One would be a "minimal" set that includes splitter/nose gear well, weight, and wheel set; that is, the parts needed to enable a reasonable "from the box" build. The other is the current "detail upgrade" set that adds (to the "minimal") all cockpit bits, suck in doors, corrected drop tanks, and tailpipe. In either case, I recommend getting the SAC 'Streak landing gear set (no reason for Harold to duplicate that set). As mentioned, I see no reason to "upgrade" the main gear wells; too much work for very little improvement.

I don't consider the HB to a pain in the 455 at all, especially considering what the alternatives offer. Monogram requires at least as much work, is not accurate in profile, and there are the raised panel lines. Heller has all the Monogram issues plus none of the detail. Fonderie is better than Heller but still short of the HB. And Kinetic/Italeri is ... um ... GACK ... a definitive pain in the 455 (I know because I have one partially completed ...)! Of those, I consider only the Monogram being a reasonable FTB build, but it begs for upgrades as much as does the HB.

And ... giving away my secrets ... I have two more of the kits and have commenced a build with the AMS "full" set and SAC landing gear. I.e., without all the bells and whistles of the build in this thread, so to be a "normal" upgrade build using just HB+AMS+SAC. (I really like the Belgian FU-52 "1966 demo" livery ... nice decals from DACO ...!)

Tim, please consider that this build is a "test" where I'm doing a "what works and what doesn't" build, so I suggest not to take this build as "what has to be done" to make it right. In fact, I've suggested to Harold that he make available two sets. One would be a "minimal" set that includes splitter/nose gear well, weight, and wheel set; that is, the parts needed to enable a reasonable "from the box" build. The other is the current "detail upgrade" set that adds (to the "minimal") all cockpit bits, suck in doors, corrected drop tanks, and tailpipe. In either case, I recommend getting the SAC 'Streak landing gear set (no reason for Harold to duplicate that set). As mentioned, I see no reason to "upgrade" the main gear wells; too much work for very little improvement.

I don't consider the HB to a pain in the 455 at all, especially considering what the alternatives offer. Monogram requires at least as much work, is not accurate in profile, and there are the raised panel lines. Heller has all the Monogram issues plus none of the detail. Fonderie is better than Heller but still short of the HB. And Kinetic/Italeri is ... um ... GACK ... a definitive pain in the 455 (I know because I have one partially completed ...)! Of those, I consider only the Monogram being a reasonable FTB build, but it begs for upgrades as much as does the HB.

And ... giving away my secrets ... I have two more of the kits and have commenced a build with the AMS "full" set and SAC landing gear. I.e., without all the bells and whistles of the build in this thread, so to be a "normal" upgrade build using just HB+AMS+SAC. (I really like the Belgian FU-52 "1966 demo" livery ... nice decals from DACO ...!)

I agree with Bruce. After all is said and done, this kit will use just about the same amount of AM as the others mentioned. (if that is your bag) And is comparatively accurate. Any modeler could easily fix the little odds and ends. Like the pointed fin tip above the formation lights. About 10 seconds with a sanding stick and it is a go. When Bruce gets finished with the second build, we can sit down and see what in all needs to be done then.

Cheers,

harold

Edited by Harold

The peg on the SAC main gear has to be filed down some to fit into the HB kit pocket. So, yes, the main gear fits with that bit of filing. After doing the deed to replace the HB main gear wells with the modified Aires parts, I conclude the very minor improvement is not worth the effort. Thus, IMHO, there is no need to replace the HB main gear wells, and the SAC gear with resin main and nose wheel/fender will fill the bill for needed HB landing gear upgrade.

Cool beans....

• 11 months later...