Italeri 1/35 S100 Schnellboote Build.

Having returned to the hobby after 50+years I think I have jumped in at the deep end with this build.

There are over 600 parts out of the box, however I also purchased many after market items pushing the figure up to over a 1000.

Never being one to make things easy for myself I also decided to convert it to a Flak-Boote with quad 20mm Flak-Vierling and add radio control just to top it off.

I encountered many new things (to me) when I decided to embark on this project, Cyano, Acrylic Paint, Photo-Etch, Airbrushes, After Market Items, Resin Parts, Internet Forums, just to mention a few!

I haven't had any build sequence in mind, I just worked on what I felt like doing at any particular time as there were so many repetitive area's.

DSCF0419.jpg

DSCF0418.jpg

DSCF0416.jpg

Mines4.jpg

MyNewAcqusitions015.jpg

MyNewAcqusitions016.jpg

MyNewAcqusitions002.jpg

MyNewAcqusitions010.jpg

DSCF0639.jpg

MyNewAcqusitions013.jpg

As I have reached the limit of what I am allowed to post I will post some more tomorrow.

Gregg

Edited by ojay

As this is to be a working model, many of the thin plastic railings etc. are being replaced with brass substitutes so as not to be as easily breakable. At the same time I am correcting the inaccuracies of the ones supplied in the kit.

The forward Flak Tub is also incorrect, being of far too small a diameter so I cut out the decking and constructed a new tub.

RailingsPedestalFlakTubMods-1.jpg

FlakTubAndPedestalConversion.jpg

ArcherRivets.jpg

FlakTubConversion.jpg

DR2ForwardDepressionRailsFit.jpg

DR1RearDepressionRailsFit.jpg

DR5MidshipDepressionRailFit.jpg

Gregg

To be able to have access to the internals (electrical/steering) I realised I would need make some removable hatches.

At the stern I opened up an area under the mine rails, so when in position the seams would be hidden. This provides access to the rudder area.

The centre hatch for access to the motors/servo's incorporates part of the original kit opening, up to the rear of the bridge.

The forward hatch incorporates the front deck area and the bridge cupola.

All are secured using micro magnets fitted to the hatches and deck o cut-outs.

The whole bow to stern decking can be removed for major work, this is screwed down as per kit instructions, but will be sealed around the hull joint using car windscreen wiper rubbers siliconed to the hull internally. The screws will be concealed beneath crew figures & deck fittings/paraphanalia!

DSCF0645.jpg

DSCF0208.jpg

DSCF0214.jpg

DSCF0629.jpg

RemovableForwardHatch.jpg

RemovableMainDeckHatch2.jpg

RemovableHatches4.jpg

Gregg

I decided at the start that I didn't want an 'Out of The Shipyard' Boote. I wanted to give my interpretation of a well used warts & all working vehicle of war.

In may of the books I have read on working boats, I have seen many photo's of modifications carried out by the crews so decided to do the same.

When in port crews didn't wear a particular uniform, mainly overalls and fatigues and often vests & shorts. So it opened up quite a choice for me as my model progressed. Using many AFV figures I modified them to my own aims, removing boots, carving shoes/socks and swapping arms, legs & heads.

DSCF0218.jpg

DSCF0210.jpg

DSCF0685-1.jpg

DSCF0684-1.jpg

DSCF0653.jpg

DSCF0205.jpg

DR6MidshipDepressionRailFit.jpg

20mmQuadFlakVierling3.jpg

BootLegampTrousersBeforeMods-1.jpg

DesiredLookForShoeampLegs.jpg

Gregg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have made a start on the hull & hull weathering, all 39 inches of it.

I have used hairy sticks, sponges & cotton buds to apply the weathering. The materials are a mix of Vallejo acrylics and weathering pastels

I used photo's of very abused vessels that were only taken off line when so badly damaged, or out of stores/fuel/ammunition as the basis for weathering.

MySchnellbootHullWeathering001.jpg

MySchnellbootHullWeathering002.jpg

MySchnellbootHullWeathering004.jpg

MySchnellbootHullWeathering005.jpg

MySchnellbootHullWeathering007.jpg

MySchnellbootHullWeathering008.jpg

MySchnellbootHullWeathering010.jpg

MySchnellbootHullWeathering016.jpg

MySchnellbootHullWeathering017.jpg

MySchnellbootHullWeathering021.jpg

Gregg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Calling it a day on this build.

Will have to wait until next year to launch, as the parks authority have decided to drain our local pond for the first time in 25yrs.

So I've decided to start another build, which hopefully will be completed by the time they refill the pond next year.

URL=http://s1041.photobucket.com/user/ojayspbody/media/Italeri%20Schnellboot%20For%20Web%20Sites/DSCF1075.jpg.html]DSCF1075.jpg[/url]

DSCF1076.jpg

DSCF1077.jpg

DSCF1078.jpg

DSCF1079.jpg

DSCF1080.jpg

DSCF1081.jpg

DSCF1082.jpg

DSCF1083.jpg

DSCF1084.jpg

Edited by ojay