KH80129 TF-9J coming soon

Arrroooooogah...for da Cougarrrrrr.....OH YEAH I gotta get me wunna dese!!! :bandhead2: :bandhead2: just when I told SWMBO I wouldn't get any new kits...KH comes out with all the stuff I've been wantin fuh years yeppers I'm in deeeeeeep dudu.. :hmmm: how can I justify this...(<~~~~~~~in deep thought).

Edited by #1 Greywolf

Hi Glen,

I have to say that looks MUCH better than the mockup we saw earlier. That looks like a Lead Sled! It would be nice to see solid cads of the canopy and windscreen, though, as those were highly suspect on the mockup model and they are critical to the overall shape of the aircraft.

A couple small points, though. It looks like you have misinterpreted the "structure" in the rear cockpit as an instrument panel combing. It is in fact a windscreen for the rear seat. In the days before effective(ie, Martin-Baker) seats, the landing pattern was flown with the canopy open and that windscreen was a necessity. Another small point, there seems to be a gunsight in the aft cockpit - it should not be there. I wanted to post some photos to illustrate these points, but I am doing this reply on my iPad, since that is the only way I can log into the forums at the moment - my IP address cannot be determined - and there are a LOT of limitations on what I seem to be able to accomplish on it, including getting photos from photobucket to the Forum. The photos are in my Superheat162 Photobucket library in the "AC Photos" album, "F9F-8T - TF-9j Cougar" sub album. I also added some seat photos. the TF-9J had three different seats over the course of its service beginning with a Grumman seat and followed by two Martin-Bakers: the A5 with a soft pack parachute and the British style Sutton harness and the A5a, essentially the same seat but with a hard pack 'chute and the standard USN harness. Both those seats were in use when I flew it in 1966-67, but the A5A was more prevalent. (To complicate life, the single seater had a different MB seat, the designation of which I do not recall.). All were "shotgun" seats which were actuated by three 20mm cannon shells which fired in succession. they were back breakers because of the instantaneous G loads.

A further point, Sidewinders are a very unlikely load on a TF-9J They were trainers, first and foremost, and though weapons training was done in Advanced, it was strictly bombs, rockets and guns. ACM training assumed guns only. In the fleet it was also used as a trainer by the Instrument Refresher Training squadrons: VA-45 at Cecil and VF-43 at Oceana on the East Coast, and VA-127 at Lemoore and VF-126 at Miramar. The Marines used them for a while as fast FACs in Vietnam, but only in the South and there would not be any need for AIM-9s

All in all though I am encouraged, it looks good so far. If I can help at all , holler.

Tom

Mr. Song, these drawings look much better than the initial drafts you've posted. But please listen to Superheat and get rid of the solid coaming between the the front and rear cockpits; this is a transparent windshield. I am posting some photos below that could be helpful.

cougar_corr1.jpg

cougar_corr2.jpg

cougar_corr3.jpg

Please, please, please, please, pleeeeeeeeease follow this up with a single-seater!!!! :pray:/>/>

Also, your nose gear strut oleo could use some air....

Ben

Ben, I believe they are doing the single seat as well. The Twogar is first up.

Also, if you can't wait, you could surgically install a Monogram Panther cockpit, canopy and nose. I'll wait myself though.

Edited by jpk

Hi all!

Couldn't agree more with the postings. There are some awesome detail experts in the forums that can be a tremendous benefit to a new kit before the actual tooling is cut. For my ownself, I'll wait for the single seater f9f plus hope and pray for a F2H-2 Korean War Banshee. But, along with KH's announcements for several new helos (need that superdetailed UH-1H though!!), it looks like its "tall cotten" for modelers these days!

Jim

Please inject some more hydraulic fluid to the front landing gear oleo.

It should not be fully compressed.

Make that nitrogen into the strut, hydraulic fluid is incompressible, so that would make for a rough ride and busted seals! =) but yes, I agree, the oleo looks low! =)

Corey in Colorado

Edited by Corey

I can wait. I've got so many other projects to work on that I can afford to wait. There's always a chance people will start dumping their FM Cougars for a decent price, too. :D/>/>

Ben

I've had a couple FM Cougars and sold them. They are nice shape wise but a bear to build. Total I've had three. One I tried to build, sold the last two. I totally screwed the pooch on the fuselage because it is a toughy. I used the wings and started to mate them with a Monogram Panther fuselage. A lot of work but much easier than the FM Cougar fuselage. Nothing fit well at all with it.

Edited by jpk

Make that nitrogen into the strut, hydraulic fluid is incompressible, so that would make for a rough ride and busted seals! =) but yes, I agree, the oleo looks low! =)

Corey in Colorado

There we go. Thank you for the correction.