Carl Caspers Young American fuel dragster

Okay, took a small break and will do another build. This is a recent molding of a real old kit, i'm thinking the original is from the early to mid 70's. It definitley looks its age with very simple and crude parts. This is going to be a fast build, most of the stuff under the nose won't be seen. I've started out by stripping the chrome using oven cleaner.

IMG_2954_zps9edd1355.jpg

Don

Don't think i'll be adding any extra detail, 1/25 is very small. It would test my capabilities, dexterity and eyesight to add any more. I managed a little progress, the frame is basically two parts, the frame itself and the rollcage. Looking for online builds i understand that a lot of kits have twisted frames, mine is straight so i guess i lucked out. he body is simple as well. I'm going to build this with the body permanently attached so i glued all parts together. I did have to slot the body at the rear to fit over the axle stubs but these will be covered by the tires. This should also make decalling easier. The accuracy of the kit is "off" , i think this was a one size fits all basic dragster kit back in the day, with decals being changed to make different kits. Slicks look undersize, body cutouts wrong for the young american. Pics for the nite.

IMG_2955_zpsa958dddf.jpg

IMG_2956_zps48dc2fd2.jpg

Don

Small update today. Finished painting the body and started decalling. Not so sure on accuracy as the pics provided show different schemes. There are other things as well, blame that on decals meant to fit inaccurate body/ body meant to fit inaccurate decals, take your pick. Colors look "off" , blue looks almost purple, red looks too light. One pics for the day.

IMG_2973_zps2ab8cbf1.jpg

Don

Well, just like my wolf build, I have decal problems with this one as well. Applied Microsol to settle a few areas and the decals wrinkled up. Don't know why this happened, though first time using these decals. I've used microsol on all kinds of decals with no problem, first time that I can recall they did this. Going to park this one for a bit, I know there are aftermarket dragster decals out there so this might get a name change. I think I'll go build a plane of some sort.

Don