The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming

Recently decided to expand my VVS contingent to boost the Allied side of the finished builds:

RussianWWII_zps365acf7c.jpg

A couple of 1/48th Hobbycraft kits (La-7 and La-5) which I had to cobble together (or custom paint) markings for, as the decals crapped out on me. A 1/48th ICM Yak-9T and the outstanding 1/48th Accurate Miniatures Yak-1B.

The AM Yak-1 is one of the nicest kits I have built and after I got it, I went and got a few more of their products (before the company's demise).

Yak-1B_8_zps2bff7be8.jpg

After these builds I realized that I didn't even have one French aircraft on display... so they were next (and then i realized that I didn't have even one Italian aircraft on display... that's what keeps me building.)

Cheers,

David

VMFA314Knights

The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming

Methinks they are here....a most excellent display of VVS warriors..great paint and builds. :hmmm: I have one question how'd ya miss or not do an IL-2 Sturmovik? ya got sumthin agin Ilyushin J/K. If you do decide to do one; be sure post pix here.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

Greywolf,

Nothing against the IL-2 Sturmovik (and I do have one... Accurate miniatures single seater, however pictures wouldn't be great as it is still unbuilt in the box ;)/> ). I'm still on the prowl for a twin seat version as well - great aircraft - so I have to build more than just one!

In the mean time - here are a couple of more VVS aircraft from earlier builds sitting in The Hanger...

Another fine AM production is the 1/48 Yak-1 (in this case of Lilia Litvyak)

Yak-1_LL4_zps3298af63.jpg

and just to prove we got MiGs too an ICM MiG-3 of Maj N. Krasnov (the subtle weathering doesn't come through in the photos - maybe too subtle - The Il-2 will be more weathered!)

MiG-3_Krasnov8_zps0ccebac5.jpg

always go with subtle when it comes to weathering. Even if it doesn't show in the photos. You built the model for yourself, not for the internet audience.

I think the MiG-3 looks just great! So do the rest of the bunch. I have a soft spot for these aircraft.

Very nice work.

A closer look at the 1/48 Hobbycraft kit - La-5 of Capt. Vladimir Orekhov, 32 GIAP (1943)

La-5FN_7_zps1aa06c13.jpg

Added a resin cockpit (that I picked up real cheap) and then forgot to modify the canopy to display it open... ooops. Dropped the rear control surfaces to see the subtle effect. (should have dropped the flaps as well.) Nice saw-tooth camo on this one (assuming my research was accurate). I've noted a distinct colour change between my earlier VVS grey/grey schemes as new material became available. We will see if the latest evidence changes once again. :)

Now for a close up of the 1/48th Hobbycraft La-7 of Lt. Col. Sergei Dolgushin, 156 IAP (Germany 1945)

La-7_zps14ff824d.jpg

Looking pretty clean... must be a post war museum tour moment ;)/>

Forgot the close-up of the Yak-9T of A. Vybornov 728 IAP (Fall 1944) - don't want anyone feeling left out...

DSCN0299_zps258cdbb8.jpg

The Hobbycraft kits are typically a good starting point for a lot of subjects that you may not see much of otherwise (as well as the ICM kits) – the detail can be sparse especially in the cockpit – however considering the price point, I have been happy with many of their kits. Now we have the Zvezda La-X series kits I may have to go another round here (the Gavia kit was supposed to be good as was the Vector – but the price on the Vector was beyond my budget.)

Had to paint on some of the markings on the La-5 and the La-7 as the decals shattered – not the best work but it looks OK on the shelf.

Cheers,

David

Thanks for the praise on the VVS group Holmes. It took me a while to get to the WWII VVS aircraft, as gathering some references and determining the paint colours took some doing. In my earlier attempts I went by the ICM box art as well as some other reference materials that seemed to indicate a lighter tone of greys for the top colours as well as the bottom... Found another VVS aircraft on the shelf so I'll add it in here...Yak-9T_11_zpsdc63427e.jpg

DSCN2846-Copy_zpsa1516df8.jpg

Yak-9T_Vybornov7H_zpsfd2b5155.jpg

I have a few more VVS aircraft in the collection however, I built them gear up so I have to figure out a good way of getting pictures of them (and cut them down from their hanging positions on the shelf).

Thanks for looking - appreciate the comments! :cheers:/>

David

How about that, I found another on the shelf... best add 'm in. Anton Yakimenko's Yak-3. This is the Eduard Weekend Edition kit - a nice quick build.

Yak-3_500_zps8f3d30e1.jpg

Yak-3_400H_zps6ceb81ab.jpg

Yak-3_900_zps8272f6f4.jpg

Cmdr. Aircraft of the 151 GIAP based in Czech. 1945.

Cheers,

David

Edited by VMFA314Knights