1/72 Space Shuttle Parts for sale

Hey guys, I'm ready to start offering some of these 3D printed parts for the Monogram 1/72 space shuttle stack. There are others that need a little tweaking here and there but these are ready to go. I have printed all of them successfully but if there are any issues let me know. This is still a new process to me so there may be a learning curve. So here are the parts I have to date;

The SRB attachment rings - $20;

ETATTACHRINGassembly_zps15cce52d.jpg

The SRB aft skirts with separation motors - $34.87;

(show on the right beside the kit part)

AFTSKIRTCROP_zps10343d03.jpg

srbdetail2_zpsba64d5b2.jpg

The SRB top separation motors - $10 (these are intended for the SRB tops I will be offering but can be used on kit parts as well with some cutting to the kit nose.);

srbsepmotorsprinted_zpsa4af1e6e.jpg

The Ice frost ramps for the external tank - $10

IFRAssem1_zps1852e322.jpg

And the thin version of the intertank area - $69.17 (This part is only intended for shuttles mounted in the vertical. Anything else may not hold up to the stress. I'll offer a sturdier one for horizontal or in-flight displays at a future time.);

DSC_0625_zps7d51a8b6.jpg

feedlinedetails_zpsd7384c44.jpg

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/niParts

Check them out when you get the chance. I'll post better pics and more information when I get a chance.

Thanks,

Bill

Edited by niart17

A suggestion: I assume these are for 1/72 kits but I didn't see where your shapeways page (or this thread) mentioned the scale of the parts...

Ummm...yeah. Sorry, I'd been talking about them so much here I didn't think to mention in this thread the scale. Sorry about that. I'll edit it and also add the scale to the Shapeways site. Thanks!

Bill

i cant wait to get a set

Well, thankfully then you don't have to wait. :woot.gif:

Seriously though, if you do order any of them let me know how the order went and give me your honest opinion of the parts. I am still working on some of the other parts and open to suggestions for anything else that could be made.

Thanks again for the interest,

Bill

Bill,

Question for you on the aft SRB skirt parts: Are the parts shown in the picture above done in the Strong and Flexible plastic or the Detail plastic?

Shapeways defaults to the S&F plastic on the parts page.

Thanks,

Ken

Hey Ken, Thanks for the inquiry. The parts shown in the picture are strong and flexible. I felt like that material best represented the slightly textured look of the actual shuttle SRB skirts. The real skirts have insulation blanket material covering them. I haven't had these printed in detail plastic so I can't say how well they'd print.

Thanks,

Bill

• 7 months later...

I'm pleased to offer the SRB top parts in my Shapeways shop niParts. To order follow the link below.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/niParts

I'm currently offering them as a pair in white strong plastic for $54.50 and frosted detail plastic for $78.41. I'd actually recommend printing in the white strong plastic, not only because it's cheaper but I feel the texture is more accurate to the real SRB's.

Here is a pic of the 3d model test run. The only difference in these and the ones for sale are the sprue is smaller without the test piece, there are mounting post added to work with my intertank part and a couple of other minor details. They are made to use the separate motors model shown above. I'm working up some instructions for use with these and all the other models I'm offering.

SRBTopsnoMotors_zps66f84e8d.jpg

srbtopsprinted1_zps71748f74.jpg

Thanks for checking them out. I hope you will find them useful for making a more accurate 1/72 scale space shuttle stack model.

Bill

AMAZING detail on these parts, Bill. I am jealous of your work! I really need to go back and try to learn 3D CAD. I flunked out of it when I was in design school.

If I ever get around to doing a 1/72 stack, I will def pick up a set of these.

Do you still plan to offer 1/144 versions of these parts?

Nice parts ,, they come also high detail frost ?

Thanks. I made them available in frosted detail but if you'd like I can post the high detail frost as well. Keep in mind it will likely put the price at or over $100 a pair. I've never printed them in frosted so I don't know how they'll come out but I'm sure they'll print really well.

Thanks for looking.

Bill

AMAZING detail on these parts, Bill. I am jealous of your work! I really need to go back and try to learn 3D CAD. I flunked out of it when I was in design school.

If I ever get around to doing a 1/72 stack, I will def pick up a set of these.

Do you still plan to offer 1/144 versions of these parts?

I am planning on scaling most all of these parts down to 1/144 as well as possibly 1/200 and 1/100. I just need to find the time to go through them and make sure they stay within printing limitations after scaling. Some may take more extensive redesign to work. And right now time is pretty limited with our work schedule lately.

Thanks,

Bill

Oh wow. I picked up a 1/200 Hasagawa Shuttle stack recently (very nice kit, BTW) so I would be interested in those, too! But I would put the 1/144 first :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm close to finishing up on these models to add to the parts available. They are the OMS Engines with the cover on. This is for those of you that want to show a shuttle stack in pre-launch configuration. They represent the red covers you see on most pictures of a shuttle sitting on the pad and are removed closer to launch time.

I still have a few details to add but overall this is what they will look like.

OMSEngineCover_zps39b4ac3f.jpg

OMSEngineCover2_zpsb281da2e.jpg

Thanks for checking them out and I will post an update once I've finished and test printed them and have a price. They should be relatively inexpensive.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I had a CAD program and the patience to do something like that. Those pieces are really good. I would really like to see them in a 1/144 scale. BTW, when you do start working on 1/144 scales, would you be able to take a molded cast pieces and give it a scan over with your program for Shapeways to produce? Like my 1/144 beany caps? I think that would help solve a lot of production problems, save some time, and sharpen them up. Then with all of these items together (Hotdog's decals, your aftermarket parts, and my beany cap) we can make one hell of a 1/144 scale space shuttle model.

Mike

Glad to see these hitting the market! I wonder if creating a set of 3 would bring the overall cost down?

I could make them a set of three and it would bring the cost down a bit, BUT they also would have to be a much less resolution in order to fall within the 1,000,000 triangle size limit and the facets would really make them not very smooth. So this is pretty much how they have to be to get any decent quality prints. Sorry.

Bill

No problem! I would not want to skimp out on quality and detail!

How difficult is it to scale it down to 1/144 and 1/200? I have almost no experience with CAD when it comes to 3D printing.

2usub90.jpg

I have some 1/72 shuttle parts coming out soon too. These are the tail and ET umbilical panels for the 1/72 Monogram and Revell kits. The image above shows you what the tail umbilicals look like installed. I haven't gotten around to doing the ET umbilicals yet. Keep up with the HD Modelworks page on Facebook for updates. These will be ready to go soon!

Edited by Hotdog