1/72 Space Shuttle Parts for sale

I figured instead of starting a new post, probably best to keep this one alive.
So around Xmas last year, I wound up getting a new resin 3D printer (Anycubic Mono X). The main driver to one was to make an attempt at coming up with custom shuttle pieces, inspired partly by what I saw others on this forum doing. The other part was, despite the wonderful pieces that are available on shapeways, to avoid the substantial overhead that comes with using them.
Below are several photos of the parts I've designed and printed to this point. Most some are just trial pieces, with some fine tuning required if/when I actually utilize them in a future build.
Similiar parts have been done before by other aftermarket providers, or others in the modeling community. These are my attempts at them.

The SRB aft skirt was actually inspired by the one originally produced (but no longer available) by NiArt17.
The Intertank is designed so that detailed features can be added subtracted based on mission. One photo showing an early 1/72 scale version on the printer.
The SRB frustum and upper casing were designed based on my experience in trying to custom detail these parts on my 1:144 Airfix stack build. Lots of little details that can be a struggle to adequatly capture. Admittedly, the details are a struggle to print/show up at 1/144 scale. They're more prominent at 1/72 scale.
And of course, it's been done countless times before, but I had to try my hand a the SSME nozzle. I'm actually really pleased with how it turned out. Group photo with it against the RealSpace, and NewWare versions.

Not sure what I'm going to tackle next: I'm leaning towards a SILTS pod and/or drag chute piece that can be more readily be fitted onto the vertical stab.

2021-01-04_19-17-08_593.jpeg

2021-01-10_11-00-02_995.jpeg

2021-02-12_13-25-38_144.jpeg

2021-02-12_13-26-07_876.jpeg

2021-02-12_13-26-40_486.jpeg

2021-02-12_13-35-24_297.jpeg

2021-02-12_13-35-58_060.jpeg

ET Intertank.JPG

SRB Aft Skirts.JPG

SRB Frustum _Nosecap.JPG

SRB Upper Casing.JPG

SSME.JPG

Edited by JPaunicka

These look amazing! Do you plan on selling them, or making them available for download or purchase on Shapeways? Could use a Shuttle SSME set in 1/100 for the Tamiya kit, I don't think anyone has ever doneoffered 'em in that scale!

• 7 months later...

Hey, niart17, if you're still working on the Ku band antenna, I think I got something that approaches the real thing in the area of the dish-to-bracket interface. I've attached two screenshots of what I currently have. Could you maybe share similar views of your model? You're using SolidWorks right? If I know it right, it has a way to generate multi-view 2D schematics of a 3D object.

Ku_band_dish_with_approximate_ribs.jpg

Ku_band_dish_with_approximate_ribs_top.jpg

So I know I'm not the one you reached out to, but I think I recall seeing an earlier request awhile ago for a KU-band antenna. Turns out I started one a few months ago, and more or less finished it up a week or so ago.

Below is what I was able to cobble together. I haven't yet printed it, so I'm not sure it even actually turns out. I was unable to find any dimensioned dwgs of the any of the devices that make up the full assembly, so this was made by purely going off of several photos I have in my collection. It could probably be scaled in a 3d Slicer to more or less be close to the actual unit.

image.thumb.png.d61e2f8955e3c388d490877921944228.pngimage.thumb.png.2271a3ccc24666485899de0c1dbe012b.png

image.pngimage.thumb.png.def9933a1c9482183f73f0d561946b40.png

Edited by JPaunicka

J, those are awesome images of your model. It looks great! But yes, I would suggest possibly starting a different thread so there's no confusion about your offerings. Clearly you have a great eye for this stuff and I would hate for you miss out on your own rewards for your work. 

Keep up the great work. 

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, just a quick heads up for anyone that may be interested. I've managed to get those SRB aft skirts I'd offered a while back modified and they SHOULD be able to pass the print policies for Shapeways. I say should because Shapeways is notorious for changing it's limitations out of the blue. The few minor changes I had to make simply thickened up a few small areas and I don't think will effect the overall look of the parts. They are once again available on Shapeways site. If anyone has a chance to try them out let me know. I'd love to see how they print but won't have a chance to purchase any myself for a little while. 

Thanks,

Bill

• 1 month later...
On 11/20/2021 at 4:48 PM, aircommando130 said:

My 72ns scale SRB aft skirts came today. All I can say is WOW!

Cheers....Ron

Glad to hear they came out well. If you get a chance, I'd love to see an image of them since I've made the change. It was a fairly minor change to some edge thicknesses to fit within print parameters but I have no idea how they'll turn out. 

Thanks,

Bill