1/72 Space Shuttle Parts for sale

Preview of a part a customer asked me to make and a question. Here is the beginning work on the SSME surround and heatshield.

SSMEandHeatShield_zpsa49021a7.jpg

My question. Do you guys think it would be better to make the hemispherical center section separate and a little oversized so the builder can locate the nozzles in whatever orientation they want OR should I make them where they are fixed. The fixed would be cheaper since it's less plastic, but the separate dome part would be more versatile. So if you guys were using this, what would you prefer?

Bill

Edited by niart17

I thought there was a standard "parked" orientation for the SSMEs after MECO - but I don't know what it is...

In other words, the SSMEs would/should be in a fixed location for anything other than an launch ascent depiction.

I'd say fixed ... but either way would be cool.

It's funny, I was pondering this very area just last night when I was reviewing tile pattern art for my tiles. Glad to see you're working on it.

I just wish I could get a blanket texture to show up through Shapeways. I think the texture is just too subtle. Perhaps buying these as a master then using tape or something on the inner ring I could make them in resin. I'm just not thrilled about the idea of going through the process of offering resin parts. That's what makes Shapeways so nice and easy. We'll see.

Thanks for the input guys. I think I will leave them fixed for now.

Bill

I would vote to keep them separate. Not only would the engine gimbal be customizable, but painting would be easier, too.

It would be great if you could get the tiles to work on this. The engine skirts have been one of the areas giving me fits with my tile detail set. Maybe if you exaggerate the tile detail, giving the more depth than in real life? We can always sand the surface down to make the detail more subtle if needed.

None of the Shapeways materials are cheap, and nothing in 1/72 is going to be cheap. I've had good luck priming WSF models with Tamiya or Mr. Color primer/resin primer with successive coats, allowed to dry in between. It will unavoidably fill in windows on a 4-ich starship and other small detail, but the technique should work fine on the images you're showing here. I'd just be generously deep on the panel lines or deep enough modelers can scribe out the panel lines between primer coats.

• 3 weeks later...

I received the OMS from Shapeways and am very happy with them. I washed them real well and primed with Tamiya fine surface primer and then painted with a gloss red paint. There are still some details that need painting once it totally cures and then a good clear coat but overall I think these came out pretty good.

omsprimed_zps96c11737.jpg

omspainted1_zps30ff9261.jpg

Thanks for checking them out.

Bill

Thanks Mike. My poor painting skills don't really help make them look as good as they could. They deserve a much better painter to make them look great.

As for the SSME covers, that's possible but not sure how well they would come out in a 3d print. The material on the real deal has a lot of creases and billow and seams that might not translate well in this medium. When I get to that point on my build I'll likely use foil or paper or tissue or something.

Bill

• 7 months later...

Just added the external tank to shuttle umbilical pads, the ET side. To use it you have to remove the cross beam between the shuttle supports.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/JAFRHWEAT/1-72-external-tank-umbilicals-and-cross-member

Here are the parts with the orbiter side umbilical parts attached. The part available now does NOT have the orbiter panels or the doors, only the tank side pads. See Hotdog's parts above for those panels. Sorry I don't have a photo of the part without the orbiter panels as I have not ordered one yet.

DSC_0319_zps5e404d6b.jpg

DSC_0324_zpsc9ebc113.jpg

DSC_0322_zpsdad3da39.jpg

If there is any interest I could do a version that has the interface panels detailed if anyone wanted to do a tank without the shuttle attached. Otherwise none of that detail can be seen.

Thanks for checking them out.

Bill

Edited by niart17
  • 2 weeks later...

Bill are you part of Shapeway business or just letting them use your CAD work?

Mike

Hi Mike,

The way Shapeways works is anybody can open up a "shop" and offer items they've designed for sale. Shapeways handles the ordering, printing and the shipping etc... for a fee. You decide the price point markup over their printing cost and they pay you that markup minus the handling fee. It's a convenient way for someone wanting to give people access to parts I've created without the hassle of having a business per se. To my knowledge (and I could be wrong) Shapeways doesn't actually sell products themselves. They simply offer printing services and act kind of like a consignment shop for designers. Or I guess a better analogy would be to think of it as a mall of designers shops?

Thanks,

Bill

Edited by niart17
  • 3 years later...

Hi Bill. I was looking for the SRB aft skirts with separation motors on shapeway at your shop and can't find them. Am hoping that I can stll get them, that is if your still doing them. Started another shuttle stack and want to add them to this one to. Thank you sir and look forward in hearing from you. Gary

Hi Gary. Thanks for your interest in those parts. At this time unfortunately they are not available. I was pretty angry about the way they handled this part and after many many successful prints decided to say it's un-printable. What they say the issue is is the there are 2 small "sprues" connecting the parts together (they originally made you make multiple parts into one) and those apparently break during the post process cleaning. I told them it didn't matter if it broke at that point since it has to be cut away anyway from the part. They currently have no process to communicate to their cleaners what can and what can-not be broken so they simply refuse to print. I'm working on trying to get the parts changed but since I lost the original files it's been a little challenging. I will try to get something back up on them soon. I personally wanted another set as well.

Thanks again. I will let you know as soon as I can get them fixed.

Bill

Bill, any chance we might see a 1/72 KU-band antenna? 

It wouldn't be too difficult to scratch build but I've got so many other things to tend to, the dish is what's throwing me for a loop.

Well, I just acquired a new license for Solidworks at the house so I do need to get back into 3D modeling (I'm also teaching my daughter how to play with it so great opportunities there) I'll have to take a look at what all the antennae would require to model. It's been quite a while since I even really looked at a space shuttle but I'll try to get back in the game. I do remember black side down so I got shuttle basics memorized. :thumbsup:

Bill

I have some time off of work this week for Thanksgiving and generally try to squeeze some modeling/tinkering time in the early mornings before my family wakes up. So if you guys have available resources you can post up here, and I'll try to to start gathering some myself, I might could get it done sometime this week. If I recall it's not super-super crazy detail-wise but I honestly haven't studied it much since my first shuttle build (that I STILL haven't completed) was in pre-launch and didn't require any payload bay parts. So any little head start would make it go much faster if anyone has anything.

Thanks,

Bill