1/72 Space Shuttle Parts for sale

Bill, I received my Orbiter Docking System and detail parts yesterday and I have to say you did a brilliant job. I hope to post pictures soon when that particular 1/72 orbiter has more progress to show!

For the KU-band antenna, in my own search for resources I have come across this:

KU-Band antenna system

and I was planning on using an upscaled version of the AXM KU-band pieces as sort of a guide AXM STS-135 Payload Bay PDF

I will be watching to see what you come up with, otherwise have a fantastic Turkey Day!

Edited by mkjm
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I was able to get a little start on the KU band antenna. I think I got the dish shape correct but not too sure about the bottom area where it mounts to the rotation assembly. It's hard to see in pics exactly what that area shape is. If anyone has any great pics anything would be helpful.

ku dish 1.JPG

ku dish 2.JPG

Thanks mkjm. Some of those shots are what I am using, or very close to the same. Ideally I'd find a pic of the dish before its mounted on its base but that might be a long shot. As it is now I have to guess what is under the mounting bracket. I'll keep at it and tweak as I go if more information presents itself.

Bill

Ah yeah, I tried to find some photo of the dish by itself in what we have of orbiters under construction but there really isn't all that much out there.

I think what you have in this preliminary design stage is looking great, however.

Awesome Pete, some of those shots will definitely help when I get to the mounting structure and body. 

BTW,  I'm praying for you buddy! I can only imagine what you must be going through. Hang in there and remember you always have friends here, even if we've never "met".

Bill

I was looking through this thread and I think I purchased a couple of your part's, Bill, without actually knowing I was. From you that is.. I had been working or not so much really on a 1/72 shuttle stack for a few years. That's where the no so much comes into it.. Unfortunately I don't have that one either anymore but the tank was done and I was at the stage of doing the SRB's. For whatever reason mid 2017 I found myself on shapeways seeing what may be available as updated more accurate parts. As it was I ended up buying the SRB aft skirts and heat shields but never got to the point of using them on the build. They are the only printed parts I've ever bought but I would have ordered more after seeing them. Big improvement over the kit parts that's for sure.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, I'm getting prepared for a 1/72 monogram Shuttle Stack build and I want to get get all the proper parts that I can find before I start. I stumbled across this forum and your posts and was happy to find that you do have some parts that I'm looking for. The Model will be a version of Columbia as looked for its last launch STS-107. It's important to me to be as accurate as possible as I am a former Space Shuttle Technician and I worked on Columbia and all the other vehicles except Challenger as I started working shuttle after the Challenger accident. 

Continued, so do you have the SRB Aft skirts still? Are you making any other parts like the SILTS Pod that was at the top of Columbia Vertcal Stabilizer or those renditions of the SSME's that had the base,heat shield details. What about External Tank Doors for the where the orbiter mounts on the tank? By the way my name is Bill. Thanks

Edited by DarthPlagueis_TW
Typo

Hello Bill,

Welcome to the ARC Forum. What an envious career you must of had, working as a

Space Shuttle Technician for NASA. I've copy a thread intro for the 1/72 Shuttle he's

been working on. Pete has magnificent modeling skills, and thought you might enjoy

getting some tips from reading and studying his project. Also, Manfred has been at

work on one of the most insane model projects we've seen. I've included an intro to

his thread as well. "Wishing you much success with your Shuttle Stack build."

Thanks Underdog, that project is awesome the detail is pretty spot on. Those textures for the FIB blankets i would love to be able to recreate. Im not sure if i will be able to come as close to that. That looks like years of experiance there. I have ideas like the ET doors, and the correct version of the Vertcal Stabilizer with the Drag Chute compartment for each orbiter. But i have no real 3D printing skills so thats why i posted here. But looks like I will have some reading to do here to help me achieve some of this detail.

10 minutes ago, DarthPlagueis_TW said:

Thanks Underdog, that project is awesome the detail is pretty spot on. Those textures for the FIB blankets i would love to be able to recreate. I'm not sure if i will be able to come as close to that. That looks like years of experience there. I have ideas like the ET doors, and the correct version of the Vertical Stabilizer with the Drag Chute compartment for each orbiter. But i have no real 3D printing skills so that's why i posted here. But looks like I will have some reading to do here to help me achieve some of this detail.

Completely understand where you're coming from. I'm not even in the same Ballpark,

as those guys mentioned. But, the cool thing is... we can get ideas from what they've

accomplished, in possibly making our models better. The most important thing is, do

the best you can and have a great time working on your projects!

On 4/25/2020 at 3:42 PM, DarthPlagueis_TW said:

Continued, so do you have the SRB Aft skirts still? Are you making any other parts like the SILTS Pod that was at the top of Columbia Vertcal Stabilizer or those renditions of the SSME's that had the base,heat shield details. What about External Tank Doors for the where the orbiter mounts on the tank? By the way my name is Bill. Thanks

Hi Bill and welcome to the forums. Man, I've been struggling to maintain a program to use at home or my free time to keep creating these parts. Between that and the increased work load I have at work I haven't been able to get much done in the world of 3D parts. I am trying to figure out the best way to keep going on these parts because I have a few builds as well that I'd really like to get going on and simply haven't had the means or chance to work on the parts. I'm hoping that once this virus crises settles I can work out some way. I know that's not a great answer but it's pretty much what I got right now. 

Again welcome to the forum and yes by all means check out Pete's a Spaceman's builds as well as others here. There is some great talent here and a wealth of information and help is available. Keep us up to date on your builds and make sure to post pics! Plus, it looks like you'd be a great source of information for us as well having worked on the shuttle program!

Bill

Bill,

You sound like you're in the exact same position as me (except the whole "having worked on the actual shuttle" thing - EXTREMELY jealous).
Thanks for tee-ing up this particular post - I was also wondering about the aft skirts.
I do have Bill's SRB nose cones / separation motors & Ice/Frost ramps.

But about three weeks ago I started the same process - collect as many after-market parts as possible so that I was "full-kit" prior to starting my builds. This stay-at-home thing sparked the interest into getting (back) into the hobby.
I'm starting with a 1/144 build before I go after the 1/72. Figure I can learn a lot and get the details "mostly of right" - sort of in a mindset where if I mess up, it'll be a bit harder to tell.
Just got done spending a couple hours this evening on some ET details on an Airfix build.

I've spent the past 3 weeks amassing parts and supplies. Still waiting for some parts to arrive from overseas "NewWare" - they appear to be stalled in shipping due to the pandemic issues.
If you want, I'd be happy share the list of items I've amassed so far.
Browsing this forum can be a bit misleading since some companies/resources you may see mentioned in past posts no longer exist.
But as far a overall build lessons-learned - it's a goldmine! Spent many hours over the past few weeks reading through many a posts.

Edited by JPaunicka
3 hours ago, JPaunicka said:

Just got done spending a couple hours this evening on some ET details on an Airfix build.

I've spent the past 3 weeks amassing parts and supplies. Still waiting for some parts to arrive from overseas "NewWare" - they appear to be stalled in shipping due to the pandemic issues.
If you want, I'd be happy share the list of items I've amassed so far. ...

Welcome to ARC, JPaunicka, and good luck and fun with your projects. :wave:

Let images speak that say more than words, or do both. up040577.gif&key=37940a736477cc130c2717d

Edited by spaceman
  • 1 month later...

Greetings builders.

I have a 1979 1/72 Columbia Shuttle in the box(no SRB or EFT). 

I'm looking to build a "lift-off" display. You've seen pics of these types of builds....Cottony smoke and some LEDs.

Also I'm not trying to achieve 100% accuracy just a cool looking Shuttle launch.

I think with the srb tops & aft skirts I might be able to use pvc pipe for the tubes of the srb. As far as EFT....ummm 6" pvc??? Lol.

Any suggestions, tips or parts will be warmly received and greatly appreciated.

Weight will not matter much as it will all be sturdied up in the vertical.

*Oops, I may have posted in the wrong section...sorry guys

Edited by mknox74
Update
  • 1 month later...
On 12/8/2018 at 5:10 PM, niart17 said:

Well, I was able to get a little start on the KU band antenna. I think I got the dish shape correct but not too sure about the bottom area where it mounts to the rotation assembly. It's hard to see in pics exactly what that area shape is. If anyone has any great pics anything would be helpful.

I'm interested in your Ku band antenna dish. Could you post a 3-view drawing of it? I'm trying to make my 3D model of the shuttke Ku band antenna (in NASA parlance it was called the "Ku band Deployed Assembly or Ku band DA for short) but I'm having trouble getting the rear dish support structure right, mainly where the white bracket attaches to it. So I think having a 3-view drawing would really help.

This document on the NASA Technical Report Server (NTRS) has some good drawings of the feed and feed support structure of the Ku band DA: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/19810011799/downloads/19810011799.pdf

Edited by DaveS

Hi Dave, welcome to the forums. I currently am in the process of trying to move and haven't updated my Solidworks home license so I don't have access to this file at the moment. Hopefully once everything gets settled I can get back in to the swing of it.

The area you're asking bout is also the area I'm struggling to find any good pics or drawings of. And also it being a very dark object, it's hard to make out much detail in the pics I do find. BTW, I appreciate the .pdf link, that will help when I get to the feed structure etc...

Sorry I couldn't be more help at this time. 

Bill

1 hour ago, Vidar_710 said:

Scaling any of this to the Tamiya 1/100 kit a possibility?

Tracy

it's always been my intention to create parts for that kit as well, I just have to find the time and resources to be able to sit down and do it. I know that's a crappy answer and doesn't help you out at all. But I have to be honest and say I don't know WHEN it will get done, only that I do want to get it done. I have a Tamiya shuttle kit as well that I would love to create a stack for. I think that might could produce the best shuttle stack kit. Sorry I couldn't just say "yes!"

Bill

Edited by niart17