ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
niart17

1/72 Space Shuttle Parts for sale

Bill, I received my Orbiter Docking System and detail parts yesterday and I have to say you did a brilliant job. I hope to post pictures soon when that particular 1/72 orbiter has more progress to show!

For the KU-band antenna, in my own search for resources I have come across this:

KU-Band antenna system

and I was planning on using an upscaled version of the AXM KU-band pieces as sort of a guide AXM STS-135 Payload Bay PDF

I will be watching to see what you come up with, otherwise have a fantastic Turkey Day!

Edited by mkjm

Well, I was able to get a little start on the KU band antenna. I think I got the dish shape correct but not too sure about the bottom area where it mounts to the rotation assembly. It's hard to see in pics exactly what that area shape is. If anyone has any great pics anything would be helpful.

ku dish 1.JPG

ku dish 2.JPG

That looks great! Do these help at all Bill?

2012-2713.jpg

KSC-96EC-1006.jpg

99pp1368_zps7tqasc8m.jpg

Thanks mkjm. Some of those shots are what I am using, or very close to the same. Ideally I'd find a pic of the dish before its mounted on its base but that might be a long shot. As it is now I have to guess what is under the mounting bracket. I'll keep at it and tweak as I go if more information presents itself.

Bill

Ah yeah, I tried to find some photo of the dish by itself in what we have of orbiters under construction but there really isn't all that much out there.

I think what you have in this preliminary design stage is looking great, however.

Bill, I went to the NASA site and if you put KU BAND ANTENNA in the left side field ) Keywords or Item Number) ... and on the right side, SPACE SHUTTLE then choose DISCOVERY you'll get about 12 nice pix of the antenna and the dish's horn ...

https://mediaarchive.ksc.nasa.gov/#/Home/

Hope this helps

Pete

Awesome Pete, some of those shots will definitely help when I get to the mounting structure and body. 

BTW,  I'm praying for you buddy! I can only imagine what you must be going through. Hang in there and remember you always have friends here, even if we've never "met".

Bill

Many Thanks for your good words Bill!!    :thumbsup:

This is however, just one more of life's challenges that we all must face, and deal with, and work with or around!

Pete

I was looking through this thread and I think I purchased a couple of your part's, Bill, without actually knowing I was. From you that is.. I had been working or not so much really on a 1/72 shuttle stack for a few years. That's where the no so much comes into it.. Unfortunately I don't have that one either anymore but the tank was done and I was at the stage of doing the SRB's. For whatever reason mid 2017 I found myself on shapeways seeing what may be available as updated more accurate parts. As it was I ended up buying the SRB aft skirts and heat shields but never got to the point of using them on the build. They are the only printed parts I've ever bought but I would have ordered more after seeing them. Big improvement over the kit parts that's for sure.

Bill...Any update on the SRB lower skirt fix? I have a bunch of your SRB parts on the way! Need to order the SSME engine bells too!

Cheers...Ron