Forget Star Trek....looks like the Jetsons are moving into the neighborhood...it starts with drones and progresses... :whistle: I wonder how many UFO sightings it'll generate :coolio: ; now understand I'm not demeaning or belittling those who have had sightings in any way, but this opens the door for anyone wearing a tinfoil hat to swear it was something other and the rumors about spying would go ballistic.

Two neighbors talking.......

Charlie: I just got my packages delivered by drone..

George: You ought to stop doing that Chuck;I saw it; it slowed down over my house and lowered to the level of my upstairs bedroom...I saw the little telescope..it's the gov't they're spying on us. They're in cahoots with Google.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

Perfect for Jimmy Johns sandwich delivery... "So Fast it's freaky!"

I commented last night when I saw the report that it would be interesting having to keep my head on a swivel when flying a private plane for one of those things... "1328R, keep an eye out for traffic. Traffic is an Amazon drone at your 12 O'clock low". I also mentioned how all somebody would need to do is hang out near an Amazon distribution center with a shotgun and do a little clay pigeon shooting when one flies over (then grab the booty and run). :D/>

Edited by Jay Chladek

I think this is just a Jeff Bezoes PR stunt, like his hyperloop. While it is something that could in theory happen, I don't see it for 10 years at least.

the Hyperloop was a Elon Musk thing.

So basically, they are talking about a mechanical carrier pigeon. Talk about full circle. :woot.gif:

Honestly though, if you really think about it, there is no reason this wouldn't work other than as has been stated people trying to shoot them down or somehow steal packaging. But other than that, I don't see where they'd be this huge danger to airspace. As low as they would fly over residential areas, if a plane is going to hit one then the drone is the least of worries. As long as they are programmed to stay out of air traffic patterns and below a certain altitudes, why not? Seems like there are a LOT of birds flying around and they don't know the rules about where to fly or not. And while yes they do get hit, it's not a huge problem.

Also, I don't get this whole thing about everyone being up in arms about it because someone might stick a camera on one and it suddenly becomes a privacy issue. There have been radio controlled helicopters for how long? And you can just as easily mount a camera to one of them. I think Amazon is just thinking about the inevitable and smart enough to try to pioneer it.

So basically, they are talking about a mechanical carrier pigeon. Talk about full circle. :woot.gif:/>

Honestly though, if you really think about it, there is no reason this wouldn't work other than as has been stated people trying to shoot them down or somehow steal packaging. But other than that, I don't see where they'd be this huge danger to airspace. As low as they would fly over residential areas, if a plane is going to hit one then the drone is the least of worries. As long as they are programmed to stay out of air traffic patterns and below a certain altitudes, why not? Seems like there are a LOT of birds flying around and they don't know the rules about where to fly or not. And while yes they do get hit, it's not a huge problem.

Also, I don't get this whole thing about everyone being up in arms about it because someone might stick a camera on one and it suddenly becomes a privacy issue. There have been radio controlled helicopters for how long? And you can just as easily mount a camera to one of them. I think Amazon is just thinking about the inevitable and smart enough to try to pioneer it.

aside from the whole issue about "drones" themselves one of the major reason's delivery companies make a profit is because they can deliver multiple items to other addresses while out on a single run. there is no way that these drones are going to be able to to that and still be small enough not to become a nuisance to the public.

...deliver multiple items to other addresses while out on a single run. there is no way that these drones are going to be able to to that and still be small enough not to become a nuisance to the public.

Never say never. A little thinking outside of the box and there are several ways this could happen. One way would be to have a type of base vehicle that serves a large area, like a city or county. This vehicle could pretty much be set up the same way it is now where an 18 wheeler brings the items to a distribution center to be divided into smaller trucks. But instead of smaller trucks the base vehicle becomes a mobile distribution center that can set up anywhere in a central location with a fleet of say 10 or more drones that can work together to unload the truck and fly packages to customers in that area. the driver just has to sit back and monitor the progress and keep an eye on drone traffic for any malfunctions.

So IF that's possible, you no longer need large distribution centers and a fleet of small trucks spurring out from it. This alone would speed things up now that the unload and delivery all are happening at the same time. Also with inventory and smart chip tech., the drones don't need to read labels. All the information will be on chips that inform the drone what the package is and where it needs to go. Think about several years ago when warehouses had to have people load and move products around..."drones" pretty much took over a big chunk of the really large warehouse operations.

Now whether or not they become a nuisance to the public is debatable, but some say the sound and pollution of large UPS trucks driving up and down the streets are a nuisance so pick your poison.

Besides, now instead of the UPS driver chunking your package over a fence and breaking it, a drone can drop it from about 5' and break it. :woot.gif:/>

Bill

Edited by niart17