So basically, they are talking about a mechanical carrier pigeon. Talk about full circle. :woot.gif:/>/>

Honestly though, if you really think about it, there is no reason this wouldn't work other than as has been stated people trying to shoot them down ( snip)Seems like there are a LOT of birds flying around and they don't know the rules about where to fly or not. And while yes they do get hit, it's not a huge problem.

You hit the nail on the head, though you didn't realize it. Birds will be the big problem for Amazon, according to one article I read. Birds are often very territorial especially with young in their nests, and the Amazon drones will likely be attacked fairly often.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/12/another-problem-for-amazons-delivery-drones-angry-birds/282082/

Edited by Scott R Wilson

I drove a semi for two years, and many times went to the Amazon distribution centers around the United States, they are quite large indeed, and full of millions (not hyperbole) of packages in the 5 lbs or less range.

The logistics and size of drone fleet would be enormous, and quite frankly not cost effective. Additionally even if somehow all the logistical concerns were addressed, the thousands of drones it would take to service a city the size of Minneapolis would congest the air to a unhealthy and unsafe level.

There is more than one reason we don't have flying cars people.

That said, this is an amazing publicity stunt for Amazon, and whoever decided to release this concept idea at Christmas time hopefully gets a large bonus, at the very least a free year of Amazon Prime.

That said, this is an amazing publicity stunt for Amazon, and whoever decided to release this concept idea at Christmas time hopefully gets a large bonus, at the very least a free year of Amazon Prime.

Was it a coincidence that the 60-Minutes episode aired the night before "Cyber-Monday"? I think not. Hope CBS got a nice payoff from Amazon for the free PR.

The first time one gets away and collides with a 737 landing, killing 150 people and making a spectacular fireball, civilian drones will die a quiet death. I'd also love to know how the drone will determine if someone is at home (I guess they could coordinate with NSA on that). I live way out in the country, so are they going to maneuver the drone onto my back porch where UPS leaves packages, opening the screen door, placing the package, putting a sticker on the door, then closing the door? *That* I'd love to see.

There are so many critical points of potential failure with this it's not even funny...

There are so many critical points of potential failure with this it's not even funny...

that hasnt stopped the pressing forward of the Affordable Care Act yet so anythings possible, you will probablly be forced to buy a drone landing platform from Dish Network.

The first time one gets away and collides with a 737 landing, killing 150 people and making a spectacular fireball, civilian drones will die a quiet death.

I don't think it would take that much. The first kid playing in the front yard that is struck and killed by one of these multy blade drones, is going to put the whole thing into perspective. These things fail, imagine one of them falling into a moving car going 50 MPH+.

I think there are more ways this could go wrong that the positives it may have. The liability alone would make it cost prohibitive.

I don't think it would take that much. The first kid playing in the front yard that is struck and killed by one of these multy blade drones, is going to put the whole thing into perspective. These things fail, imagine one of them falling into a moving car going 50 MPH+.

I think there are more ways this could go wrong that the positives it may have. The liability alone would make it cost prohibitive.

My question though is how would that be any different than a mail truck going out of control and hitting the same kid, or wrecking on the highway at 50mph. Basically this whole thing was a huge PR stunt for Amazon.

My question though is how would that be any different than a mail truck going out of control and hitting the same kid, or wrecking on the highway at 50mph. Basically this whole thing was a huge PR stunt for Amazon.

1) The kid would be just as dead, however if he was killed by a drone falling out of the sky, the press would have a field day. If he was killed by a truck, it probably would not even make the papers. It's all about what is deemed "newsworthy".

2) Agree 100%, this was just a big PR event for Amazon.

Who would want to have a carriage without a horse? Seems like it will just break down all the time when all you have to do with a horse is feed him.

Who in their right mind would want to fly like the birds? If something happens then you're dead.

Why would anyone want a computer on their desk top? They are clunky and can only be used for complex mathematical calculations. Not many people do that in their home or work.

A cordless telephone? Yeah, I'm sure once people start getting interference and have other's listening to their calls, that idea will be gone.

Nobody is going to want to have a phone with internet connectivity. Phones are for talking, computers are for internet.

Drones will never be used for package deliveries to homes. If one falls out of the sky...These are all just PR stunts.

Bill

Edited by niart17

The first time one gets away and collides with a 737 landing, killing 150 people and making a spectacular fireball, civilian drones will die a quiet death. I'd also love to know how the drone will determine if someone is at home (I guess they could coordinate with NSA on that). I live way out in the country, so are they going to maneuver the drone onto my back porch where UPS leaves packages, opening the screen door, placing the package, putting a sticker on the door, then closing the door? *That* I'd love to see.

Again, not thinking outside the box enough. All of these "problems" are VERY easily solvable. Again, colliding with a 737 is just as unlikely as a radio control plane doing the same. Is it possible? Of course it is. It's also possible that the golf driving range that's close to the small municiple airport where I live could bring down a lear jet if the wrong person slices REALLY bad and the private jet happens to be in that path...but is it going to happen? Probably not.

It doesn't have to determine if someone is home.

Initially it could be set up where if you want the drone delivery service there could a box set up in your yard that a drone can open and close with a signal of some sort if not manually open it. I know, a box on your property used to leave deliveries is such an extreme idea so no one would ever go for it...oh wait, seems like the post office set up a similar service. So it could be just as simple as going to Home Depot or (shutter the thought) Wal Mart and buying an Amazon delivery box. Eventually, IF this system actually took off, perhaps everyone will have a box on their property. Much like mailboxes are pretty much standard at any home.

Next problem?

Bill

Edited by niart17

Because cars don't ever kill innocent people...just saying. We must ban them for the children :crying2: