Star Trek USS Enterprise TOS

And now for something totally different, well, for me anyway. I have always loved the starship Enterprise and always wanted to build one. I figured it was time. I will also be putting lights inside along with some photetch. On with the show, starting with light blocking and filling in the grid lines on the saucer. NO GRID LINES ON TOS.

DSCN3835_zpsdd1ea487.jpg

DSCN3834_zps96192537.jpg

DSCN3833_zps5ad38c73.jpg

DSCN3832_zps6de3f4d4.jpg

DSCN3826_zps9dd39b77.jpg

Nice clean job on both the lighting and the hanger bay!

BTW, what paint/color are you planning on painting this?

I'm currently working on an AMT 18" TOS Enterprise. I had used Tamiya XF-12 JN Grey for a 1/1000 TOS Enterprise but I feel it looks a bit too green.

For the 18" TOS E I made a custom mix of Tamiya paints. I mixed 3 parts XF-12 JN Grey, 1 part XF-19 Sky Grey and 4 parts XF-2 Flat white. It was actually pretty easy to mix. I used a syringe that measures in milliliters. The amount of flat white can also be decreased to darken the color. The color still has a very light green color shift but also looks gray under most lighting. I didn't want to post a picture without asking you so I don't hijack your thread.

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

Thanks. It's a bit of a challenge to get the hangar bay to fit with the lights but thanks to some video tutorials, it's very possible. As for paint, I'm still researching that. Initial thoughts are using a 1:1 of Model Master Neutral Gray and white. The studio model isn't white but gray. Originally Roddenberry wanted a battleship gray but decided that was too dark. We'll see how this ratio works out.

James, In case you didn't see it, there's an article on CultTV Man's site that talks about the color of the studio model. It reveals that the color was a light gray with a hint of green. That's why I went with the Tamiya JN Grey in the mix which is actually a green-gray color. My final color mix is mostly a neutral gray shade but does have a slight green color shift under some lighting. I've used Model Master Neutral gray and mixed with white will also make a very nice TOS Enterprise color.

Below is a link to the article on CultTV Man's site.

TOS Enterprise Studio Model Color

Edited by crowe-t

Small video showing final lighting test. The aft portion of the engineering hull is still in progress so ignore that area. I'm pleased thus far. Although the bussard collectors look very much like original model's, they are too noisy. I may invest in different boards that simulate fan rotation. Now all I have to do is stuff all those wires and circuit board into the navigation/deflector dish opening without breaking a connection somewhere. To be continued...

th_DSCN3868_zps4cf56451.jpg

Edited by Boomstick

A fellow on another forum lined his warp engines with some kind of thin foam insulation he said meade them quieter.

Yeah, I saw that on YouTube as well, I think Trekworks did his that way. I will probably buy the Tenacontrols boards.

Shuttle bay landing exterior landing lights are done. Still some touch up needed.

DSCN3876_zps7746419c.jpg

So, I assembled the major components with a couple of setbacks. I have huge gaps that were not there before. Now on final assembly, I have gaps where the saucer and neck mount and where the nacelles and pylons mount. So I have some filling to do. Also, and I don't HOW this happened, the neck glue/putty line cracked on the aft end of the necks base. I generously glued those contact points days ago with plenty of time to cure so I'm confused on why that happend. Oh well. These are all minor and fixable. Still to do: decal warp nacelles, attach clear parts, build shuttle, fill/paint gaps, dull coat and weathering then more dull coat. Oh, and the impulse engines not attached yet, still have light blocking to do. And this is why you take pictures, there is a nasty seam area on the saucer to the right of the impulse engines that needs desperate attention. HOW DID I MISS THAT??? Also, I have panel templates that I use on my military ships that I will be using on this with chalk pastels for weathered looking panels. More to come.

DSCN3880_zps2d7a87c9.jpg

DSCN3879_zps38901148.jpg

DSCN3877_zps5d879f89.jpg

Edited by Boomstick

Beautiful. Only 2 issues for me, TOS had no lighting on impulse engines, and the navigational beacon should be white, not green.

I choose to light the impulse engines to simulate impulse power. I should probably have run them to a separate switch but there was enough wires already. I did some research and confirmed the white beacon so I made the change. Thanks for the heads up. I was following another builders TOS and he seemed to think green was correct.ta

Here she is on her stand. Still waiting on nacelle decals.

DSCN3929_zpsb347f069.jpg

DSCN3921_zpsd27ef087.jpg

Edited by Boomstick