Star Trek USS Enterprise TOS

Does the model seem stable to you on the stand - or do you worry about it tipping over? Just from the looks of it - and knowing it's a huge model - I'm wondering if a more sturdy base would be a consideration.

Very nice work though - what would you say is the biggest thing to watch out for? You're also the first I've seen to attach the pylons alone first without the engines on them.

Hitch

Does the model seem stable to you on the stand - or do you worry about it tipping over? Just from the looks of it - and knowing it's a huge model - I'm wondering if a more sturdy base would be a consideration.

Very nice work though - what would you say is the biggest thing to watch out for? You're also the first I've seen to attach the pylons alone first without the engines on them.

Hitch

The model is heavy. I mean HEAVY! However, it is EXTREMELY well balance and there is no worry of tipping. The shuttle bay has fit issues if you choose to light it with the Round2 light kit. But there are many tutorials on UTOOB for that fix. Also, if you choose to light it, make sure you thoroughly light block the interior. As for the warp nacelle attachment, I forgot to anticipate fit problems and I had issues attaching the nacelles to the pylons. Next time, I will fit the nacelles to the pylon before attaching to the engineering hull. Also, I did not use the kit windows except on the bridge. I used canopy glue to make the remaining windows. It dries clear but after the ship is flat coated, it dulls them and dissipates the light so you can't see all the wires inside.

Edited by Boomstick

That is one beautiful ship. I know some people think it looks "dated," but that is only because of the Star Wars influenced "busi-ness" that has found its way into the art departments of the much later produced Trek shows. Remember, Mat Jeffries' design logic was that everything important would be accessible from the inside. The ship also has subtle, complimentary curves missing in later designs. Aside from that, it is the only major design that has rotating multi-colored nacelles. That right there is enough trump the rest of them.

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice piece of work and I love the weathering you've done on this. It may not be dead nuts studio model accurate, but that is the beauty of models like this. Stick in your own interpretation and you end up with something unique that can look equally good, if not better. Nice job!

• 1 year later...

Thanks Mike. I use wall spackle and Bondo red spot glaze. The grid lines are about 90% filled in. I wanted a hint of them left behind instead of penciling them in.

How well did the filler putty show through the paint when you were done? I'm thinking of using Squadron green putty to get the preshade effect for the grid lines. I'd use a black putty if there was such a thing. I'm concerned that the engraved grid lines are too wide, and I'd be better off using a fine pencil instead.

• 2 weeks later...