Would a Tomcat deploy its wings after it was lined up for t/o or far b

I am building a Hasegawa F-14 kit and due to space limitation I want to

place the wings swept.So far so good...The problem is I want to make it

sitting in front of a blast deffuser and attached or ready to be attached

to the shuttle but I am not sure if this was a common practice or not.

Would a Tomcat deploy its wings after it was lined up or far before?

Some videos and photos I checked are not really helpful.

Thank you all in advance.

Not likely, by the time it would be lined up for a cat shot and the jet blast diffuser being set in the Up position the wings would be swept forward.

But hey, it's your model, of course.

HTH,

Andre

Due to the tight space limitations on the carrier deck, it was SOP to move/taxi about with the wings swept fully aft until reaching the launch bridle hook point. It was at that point that they moved them forward and configured the a/c for launch. Your sought modeling configuration is very feasible indeed.

Thuddriver

Very common on Cat 2 if they were recovering. As soon as the landing aircraft would get solid into the wire, they would sweep the Tomcat's wings out, drop the flaps, finish up the final checking, and shoot it off. Being final checker several times in this situation I can tell you it was a really cool dance. Now don't even get me started about final checking from the catwalks on Cat 4.

KiowaFixer/FormerTomcatFixer

Very common on Cat 2 if they were recovering. As soon as the landing aircraft would get solid into the wire, they would sweep the Tomcat's wings out, drop the flaps, finish up the final checking, and shoot it off. Being final checker several times in this situation I can tell you it was a really cool dance. Now don't even get me started about final checking from the catwalks on Cat 4.

KiowaFixer/FormerTomcatFixer

What was different about Cat4???

Thank you all for your help!

scotthldr this is exactly the

photo I was looking for.

Btw...Are you greek mate?

Glad the pic is of use. Not Greek, Scottish with a keen interest in Hellenic military. If you look back over my topics you'll see. :cheers:

It runs right along the edge of the deck.

Oh!I knew that but I thought because of it there was

a different procedure. So nothing special other than

it's position?

Edited by mirrage

The JBD couldn't be used on Cat 4 when Tomcats were on it, as such all aircraft had to be totally clear aft of the launching F-14 or the below video could be the result.

For us final checkers, you had to do much of your checks from inside the catwalk and duck down below the deck edge so as not to get fried by the burner as it passed down the stroke.

KiowaFixer

An appropriate vid for the thread biggrin.gif !

The first four minutes of that movie were great. The rest just sucked, unless you are up for the typical hollywood formulaic "hero wannabe with a chip on his shoulder/contrived romance/humor/action" popcorn flick.

Now where is my copy of The Final Countdown, which really IS a time machine for me, transporting me back to the days when I was there.

I remember when we watched Top Gun in the ready room on cruise and laughed at it. We thought they should make an S-3 movie just like it and call it Top Buoy.

The first four minutes of that movie were great. The rest just sucked, unless you are up for the typical hollywood formulaic "hero wannabe with a chip on his shoulder/contrived romance/humor/action" popcorn flick.

Now where is my copy of The Final Countdown, which really IS a time machine for me, transporting me back to the days when I was there.

I remember when we watched Top Gun in the ready room on cruise and laughed at it. We thought they should make an S-3 movie just like it and call it Top Buoy.

The movie is full of cliche but it has some nice air shots.

Words of truth 70.gif !

I was living in San Diego during that time period.

Being a former U.S. Navy brat I was privy to all military bases. I had fun pointing out the discrepancies in the film.

A few of examples:

The scene where Maverick give the belonging to Goose's wife; that was film at NTC San Diego, not NAS Mira Mar.

The scene of Maverick riding his motorcycle along the flightline; To my knowledge that wouldn't be allowed! Also; said scene showed two angles of the same scene where the sun was in two positions six hours apart. The runway runs East-West and it is impossible to have the sun be low on the horizon on both ends of the runway at the same time.

Most obvious, of course, was the use of an F-5's as the Soviet bogeys.

Edited by Check Six

The JBD couldn't be used on Cat 4 when Tomcats were on it, as such all aircraft had to be totally clear aft of the launching F-14 or the below video could be the result.

For us final checkers, you had to do much of your checks from inside the catwalk and duck down below the deck edge so as not to get fried by the burner as it passed down the stroke.

KiowaFixer

When I showed up on Indy...I remember seeing a F-14 stuffed in the back of the hangar with a big tarp over it's canopy area. That is this bird you see in the video. They finally lifter her off pier side believe.

Cheers

Collin

Words of truth 70.gif !

I was living in San Diego during that time period.

Being a former U.S. Navy brat I was privy to all military bases. I had fun pointing out the discrepancies in the film.

A few of examples:

The scene where Maverick give the belonging to Goose's wife; that was film at NTC San Diego, NAS Mira Mar.

The scene of Maverick riding his motorcycle along the flightline; To my knowledge that wouldn't be allowed! Also; said scene showed two angles of the same scene where the sun was in two positions six hours apart. The runway runs East-West and it is impossible to have the sun be low on the horizon on both ends of the runway at the same time.

Most obvious, of course, was the use of an F-5's as the Soviet bogeys.

The O Club ladies room scene was filmed at NTC San Diego as well ...

-Gregg

Bad editing as well! Whenever 'Mav' cut the throttles he'd be slamming them forward. When he went for thrust he'd be pulling them back! Some good air to air scenes, but in general, the launches at the opening were my favorite parts as well...

DET1460

When I showed up on Indy...I remember seeing a F-14 stuffed in the back of the hangar with a big tarp over it's canopy area. That is this bird you see in the video. They finally lifter her off pier side believe.

Cheers

Collin

Out of curiosity, could that Tomcat (or any other aircraft for that matter) be returned to flying status after an ejection like that? I know it probably depends on the damage.

Out of curiosity, could that Tomcat (or any other aircraft for that matter) be returned to flying status after an ejection like that? I know it probably depends on the damage.

I personally know of a T-2, A-4, S-3, EA-6B and a F-14 that were returned to flight status after seats were accidentally fired (unfortunatley with fatalities with the T-2, A-4, and S-3). But as you mentioned, it also depends on the amount of damage incurred. I don't know about the F-14 in the video specifically, but since the nose gear ran off into the catwalk, I suspect there may have been some other damage.

Mark

Edited by redcorvette