Would a Tomcat deploy its wings after it was lined up for t/o or far b

Another question...

When the engines are on idle would the intake ramps

be in full open or in any other kind of configuration?

The ramps would be fully up if they were getting ready to launch on the cat. The engines, especially the P&Ws, needed as much air as they could get at this point. During the preflight checks after engine start up the crew would preform an OBC, OnBoard Check-out. During this check the ramps would run their full travel while the engines were at idle and would end in the full up position, it was very common during that check for the P&Ws to pop and cough due to lack of air.

During my time in Tomcats I had more then one pilot tell me they would launch from the carrier with the inlet control switches in "Stow." One of their biggest fears during cat shots were to suck down a ramp surface and stall an engine, the switches being in "Stow" gave all the ramp actuators a constant up signal.

KiowaFixer

The ramps would be fully up if they were getting ready to launch on the cat. The engines, especially the P&Ws, needed as much air as they could get at this point. During the preflight checks after engine start up the crew would preform an OBC, OnBoard Check-out. During this check the ramps would run their full travel while the engines were at idle and would end in the full up position, it was very common during that check for the P&Ws to pop and cough due to lack of air.

During my time in Tomcats I had more then one pilot tell me they would launch from the carrier with the inlet control switches in "Stow." One of their biggest fears during cat shots were to suck down a ramp surface and stall an engine, the switches being in "Stow" gave all the ramp actuators a constant up signal.

KiowaFixer

I took my chances and glued them in the up position thinking about the need for air.

Regardles that I thank you for the answer because now I am 100% sure and I can finally

sleep peacefully...

:lol:

Edited by mirrage

I took my chances and glued them in the up position thinking about the need for air.

Regardles that I thank you for the answer because now I am 100% sure and I can finally

sleep peacefully...

:lol:/>/>

Glad I could help out.

For those interested in the movie "Top Gun," a former C.O. of mine, Dave "Bio" Baranek, wrote a book about his experiences in the real "Topgun" and his assistance to the production crew of the movie "Top Gun." He flew in one of the "MiG-28s" and his name can be seen in the end credits. The name of his book is "Topgun Days" and is a pretty good read for both aspects of the real "Topgun" and the movie "Top Gun."

KiowaFixer

Edited by kiowafixer
  • 4 weeks later...

A new question for you Tomcaters...

What is the normal position of the exhaust nozzles of an F-14A during its time on the shuttle

while on idle?

According to what I found online they are open but I have to make sure before I glue'em.

Thank you in advance!

Came across another pic for you, is it just me or does the jet look to be rather close to JBD?

The catapult bar on the nose gear isn't hooked up to the cat yet so it may not be in "launch" position.

The catapult bar on the nose gear isn't hooked up to the cat yet so it may not be in "launch" position.

Heck; The nose gear is still extended (Up), the shuttle isn't even present, the wings are still in storage posit., and the Tomcat is waaaaay too close to the blast deflector.

Also; The Yellow Shirt (A/C Director) isn't even in front of the Tomcat.

Edited by Check Six

Yip I should pay more attention, thought is was the hold back bar extending from behind the nose gear but it's actually a tie down chain. It looks like it's still attached to ground/deck power as well :doh:

Yip I should pay more attention, thought is was the hold back bar extending from behind the nose gear but it's actually a tie down chain. It looks like it's still attached to ground/deck power as well doh.gif

Here's what a break-away holdback bar looks like:

1064121rotator.jpg

And here's what it looks like hooked up to a Super Hornet:

this-hookup-man-is-guiding-the-f-18-into-the-launch-catapult-easing-that-rod-up-into-place.jpg

Check Six the nozzles seem to be closed just before launch.Hmmm...

scotthldr Nic photo.I stored it because it is exactly what I was

planning to do.Although I might attach the shuttle.Will see....

But he doesnt give a reason.

The JBD on Cat 4 was smaller due to it's proximity to the deck edge. Tomcats needed the larger water-cooled JBD's.

There was an interesting tidbit in the last issue of the Hook magazine about how one of the prototype F-111B/TFX's was used to test the new water-cooled JBD design needed for the F-14 at Lakehurst. They would chain down one of the F-111B's in front of the prototype JBD's and run at full burner to see if they could melt it.

Mark

The JBD on Cat 4 was smaller due to it's proximity to the deck edge. Tomcats needed the larger water-cooled JBD's.

There was an interesting tidbit in the last issue of the Hook magazine about how one of the prototype F-111B/TFX's was used to test the new water-cooled JBD design needed for the F-14 at Lakehurst. They would chain down one of the F-111B's in front of the prototype JBD's and run at full burner to see if they could melt it.

Mark

One would assume that the water-cooled JBD development was started for the F-111B/TFX, given it had the same engines as the F-14 and was even more in need of thrust.

One would assume that the water-cooled JBD development was started for the F-111B/TFX, given it had the same engines as the F-14 and was even more in need of thrust.

The tongue-in-cheek comment in the Hook article was that testing the JBD was the most useful thing the F-111B prototypes ever accomplished...;)

Mark

Looks wide open to me:

F-14A_VF-142_on_cat_USS_Eisenhower_%28CVN-69%29_1980.JPEG

this my friends look like an alert 5 bird...its setup to launch and be in the air in 5 minutes...

so a pre flight already completed, an engine start and short taxi while the cat is warming up....and away they go...

notice the chains by the nose gear...

As mentioned, that's an alert bird...JBD is up because the deck isn't really spotted for engine starts - probably a helo aft of this frame so just safer for everyone/thing. Also, based on the safety chain they could have an engine running as I don't see a power cord (I believe A5 required it to be turning?). The yellow cord plugged into the nose gear well is for keeping the NAV aligned.

No yellowshirt until the aircraft moves; the PC is the brownshirt forward/right of the nose.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad I could help out.

For those interested in the movie "Top Gun," a former C.O. of mine, Dave "Bio" Baranek, wrote a book about his experiences in the real "Topgun" and his assistance to the production crew of the movie "Top Gun." He flew in one of the "MiG-28s" and his name can be seen in the end credits. The name of his book is "Topgun Days" and is a pretty good read for both aspects of the real "Topgun" and the movie "Top Gun."

KiowaFixer

Another good book is "The Cutting Edge", done by the guy who did most of the aerial photography for that movie - CJ "Heater" Heatley.