Would be nice is they gave Ford Australia a shot at engineering some proper suspension for it like Chev let Holden do for the Comaro. Oh well both manufactures will be gone from our shores in a couple years anyway. RIP affordable rear drive sedans. Though if your looking for a beautiful modern car the Ferrari F12 Berlinetta is a stunner. And LOL! I totally agree with Gregg about the Veneno=Fuuuuuugly!

At least for Lamborghini their awful lines and diffusers and such are designed to make the car better.

They don't just throw plastic vanity panels on the car to make it heavier, slower, and uglier.

Look at the new Jags. They could easily try a retro look since their classics are so beautiful but they choose to go modern with each new release. Even Cadillac has gotten on board. But the "big 3" are trapped in the Stone Age.

Edited by Bigasshammm

At least for Lamborghini their awful lines and diffusers and such are designed to make the car better.

They don't just throw plastic vanity panels on the car to make it heavier, slower, and uglier.

Look at the new Jags. They could easily try a retro look since their classics are so beautiful but they choose to go modern with each new release. Even Cadillac has gotten on board. But the "big 3" are trapped in the Stone Age.

But it seems to be working for them and people buy their cars.

But it seems to be working for them and people buy their cars.

Didn't they all nearly go out of business? Save Ford, and the only thing that makes Ford money in the US is the F150. Their marketing and design staffs are run by dinosaurs and they are selling to dinosaurs. What happens when they all go extinct?

Didn't they all nearly go out of business? Save Ford, and the only thing that makes Ford money in the US is the F150. Their marketing and design staffs are run by dinosaurs and they are selling to dinosaurs. What happens when they all go extinct?

Actually if you look at auto sales in 2013, out of the top 20, Ford has the F-150 (#1) the Focus (which may very well be the worlds top selling auto), the Fusion, the Explorer, and the Fiesta. NONE of the top 20 are European, the rest are divided between Honda, Toyota and Chevy with Dodge having 1 in the rank with it's Ram. So while the Mustang may be, as you put it" a dinosaur, it's just a showcase type vehicle. It's the car that gets people to come to the show rooms to see, and then drive out in another car. It seems to be working for them.

Furthermore, look at this list of WORLDS top selling cars http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/04/09/most-popular-car-ford-focus-fiesta-honda-civic-toyota-camry/2066187/

...Ford has more in the top 10 than any other manufacturer in the world...yeah, they're really hurting.

edit: The top 10 world list is from 2011 2012 so it's older. But I'm sure they haven't declined that much just because they redesigned the Mustang in a way you guys don't like. LOL

Bill

Edited by niart17

And back on topic, I actually kind of like the new look. It's not as Mustang-y as I'd really like, but it is pretty sharp from the pics I've seen. I'll have to read up on the specs, but this may be a car I would consider buying as my next. I was considering a Dodge Challenger, but that's only because I'm one of those, what is it?, old "dinosaurs" from the "old generation" that "think they have money". And who knows, my next vehicle after that will probably be a mobility scooter from the scooter store, being I'm so ancient.:woot.gif:/> :rolleyes:/>

Bill

Edited by niart17

I'm talking US only. Ford has a huge marke out of the US that's not a question. Nor is the mustang a dinosaur per se. What I mean is the US manufacturers are designing cars based on the past in order to appeal to the older market who has most of the money in this country. Whereas other manufacturers around the world are appealing to the younger markets and thus the future. Look at all the US "sports cars" of the last decade or so. They're all supposed throwbacks instead of doing something new and unique. At least the Corvette still stays somewhat cutting edge. That's about the best the US has. Wherein Europe and Asia are designing cars like the FRS that are meant for the younger enthusiasts but are every bit the car that a mustang is and they're keeping them affordable.

Plus there's no push for completely out there designs and cutting edge technology. When's the last new US super car? The ford GT? That's ten years old already. Technology is constantly evolving and they're seemingly going backwards.

Lamborghinis are getting rather fugly ...

>>>Clicky <<<

-Gregg

Guess I'll just take mine back then! :rofl: Lambo's can be hit and miss, the one based on the F-22 looks pretty cool, the one on the F-35, not so much. According to the very basic 60 minutes thing I saw its about that profile outline, other than that they change things up a lot. usually for the better IMHO.

European sports cars constantly evolve and try to introduce new things to the automotive world. The US will forever be behind in car making.

Well, there is one american company that isn't exactly playing catch up like GM/Ford... But i guess saying the name of the company out loud in a Mustang thread is dangerous. :D

Actually if you look at auto sales in 2013, out of the top 20, Ford has the F-150 (#1) the Focus (which may very well be the worlds top selling auto), the Fusion, the Explorer, and the Fiesta. NONE of the top 20 are European, the rest are divided between Honda, Toyota and Chevy with Dodge having 1 in the rank with it's Ram. So while the Mustang may be, as you put it" a dinosaur, it's just a showcase type vehicle. It's the car that gets people to come to the show rooms to see, and then drive out in another car. It seems to be working for them.

Furthermore, look at this list of WORLDS top selling cars http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/04/09/most-popular-car-ford-focus-fiesta-honda-civic-toyota-camry/2066187/

...Ford has more in the top 10 than any other manufacturer in the world...yeah, they're really hurting.

edit: The top 10 world list is from 2011 2012 so it's older. But I'm sure they haven't declined that much just because they redesigned the Mustang in a way you guys don't like. LOL

Bill

Not entirely true, remember the Focus and Fiesta were both designed for the European market before being brought over here. So while technically "American" cars they both designed in Europe for Europe. Also I would point to the Dodge Dart which I believe is also in the top 10, is an Alfa Romeo with a new skin.

Edited by rustywelder

I'm talking US only. Ford has a huge marke out of the US that's not a question. Nor is the mustang a dinosaur per se. What I mean is the US manufacturers are designing cars based on the past in order to appeal to the older market who has most of the money in this country. Whereas other manufacturers around the world are appealing to the younger markets and thus the future. Look at all the US "sports cars" of the last decade or so. They're all supposed throwbacks instead of doing something new and unique. At least the Corvette still stays somewhat cutting edge. That's about the best the US has. Wherein Europe and Asia are designing cars like the FRS that are meant for the younger enthusiasts but are every bit the car that a mustang is and they're keeping them affordable.

Plus there's no push for completely out there designs and cutting edge technology. When's the last new US super car? The ford GT? That's ten years old already. Technology is constantly evolving and they're seemingly going backwards.

ahh...I see. http://www.forbes.com/2009/06/05/teen-car-favorites-lifestyle-vehicles-teen-car.html

Guess which car hit the top spot on this list...yup. The Ford Mustang. If you look at this and other list, teens and younger people don't necessarily want "sports" cars. Most of the cars on this list are economical and customizable. Not something that a sports car is. I agree, U.S. doesn't really have a true sports car, never really has except for the Corvette. But that's ok. We can all dream about driving a Bugatti Veyron, and then go buy our Accords or Mustangs, or Camaros...

Bill

Well, there is one american company that isn't exactly playing catch up like GM/Ford... But i guess saying the name of the company out loud in a Mustang thread is dangerous. :D/>

I think we can manage to give you a free pass for this because I for one am curious which American company is surpassing Ford, BTW the only one that didn't have be bailed out.

Bill

The real question is will it be able to go around a corner properly.

Even though they've put it on a weight loss program, it's still a bloat-mobile. Just like the Camaro & Challenger, it needs a ton of horsepower to drag it's fat *** down the track. Of course, 99.999999% of the people who will buy it will just use it to idle around town & talk about how much HP it has. The ones who want to go around corners will buy something else.

And what's up with the slit windows? Not early as bad as the Camaro & Challenger, but still ugly. They need to lower the top of the hood, too. The front end looks like Jimmy Durante. Ha cha cha cha chaaaa! :D/>

If I were to want to drive a Mustang, make mine the Classic Motorsports' Shelby GT350, with it's crate motor and upgraded brakes & suspension:

DSC04170.jpg

Ben

Also BTW, the Ford GT isn't the last U.S. made supercar.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/10-exotic-sports-cars-made-in-america

Now granted many of these aren't from the big 3, but still shows the U.S. isn't just sitting by idly.

Bill

Meh.

Viper is far from new. Almost 25 years old now.

Corvette isn't a true super car as it's just a highly modified version of the street car.

Same goes for those Shelby's and that Camaro

The Rossion is just the Noble that was designed out of the US and then went bankrupt.

The Hennesy Venom is ridiculous I would love to see that car in person.

The other small companies are glorified track/kit cars meant to go fast but don't really offer any groundbreaking technology.

The big 3 are WAY behind.

I like my 1968 GT fastback with the 390 engine and 4spd. The only thing I would want more is the same car with a 428CJ under the hood.

1968 390 GT Mustang.... now that brings back memories. Classmate in highschool had one with automatic, that thing was fast!!

Don