Any decision on the A-10 retirement yet?

From Wiki:

During debates on the fiscal 2014 defense authorization bill in November 2013, an amendment from the Senate addressed the issue of early A-10 retirement. The Senate bill would keep the Air Force from retiring or storing the Thunderbolt II at least until the F-35A becomes fully operational, which is expected in 2021. The bill is a rare sign of bipartisan commitment which is from mutual support of the aircraft.

Everybody loves the A-10, except the Air Force and our enemies.

Anytime some smartass who thinks he is clever asks "Why the Navy's Army needs its own air force" I say "Ask the Army"

During debates on the fiscal 2014 defense authorization bill in November 2013, an amendment from the Senate addressed the issue of early A-10 retirement. The Senate bill would keep the Air Force from retiring or storing the Thunderbolt II at least until the F-35A becomes fully operational, which is expected in 2021. The bill is a rare sign of bipartisan commitment which is from mutual support of the aircraft.

Senate: we are cutting the hell out of your funding because we can't get along

USAF: Ok fine we need to cut aircraft then

Senate: We have come together to stop you from the cuts you need to make. Still no funding though

USAF: Thanks...

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

Anytime some smartass who thinks he is clever asks "Why the Navy's Army needs its own air force" I say "Ask the Army"

Excellent point.

I read that when it was debated whether to retire the A-10's now, the Army spoke up and said it would buy the A-10's from the AF if it was decided to retire the A-10's.

IMHO; That's the way is should have been to begin with.

Just like the Marine Corps having it's own air support. No one carries more about providing close air support for the Marines than a Marine Corps pilot. Ooorah!!

Title says it all pretty much. I know it was a hot topic, and that it was supposed to be decided on soon, but I've not seen anything "official" yet on it.

Aaron

This is the response that I received from Senator Deb Fischer this afternoon......

Dear John,

Thank you for contacting me about this year’s National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA). I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this matter.

You expressed support for a number of amendments in this year’s bill but, unfortunately, the Majority Leader has refused to allow open consideration of amendments. I believe a robust amendment process is important so that changes to the bill, including those you mentioned, can be considered. It is especially important to allow amendments, because new security challenges have emerged since the Committee adopted the original text of the legislation in May.

For this reason, on November 21, 2013, I voted against a procedural motion filed by the Majority Leader that would have cut off debate on the bill—a motion he made after the Senate had only debated and voted on merely two amendments out of the hundreds filed. While the motion failed to garner the support necessary, and the bill remains pending before the Senate, it is still unlikely that the amendments will be considered when the Senate’s session resumes.

Thank you again for contacting me about this most important bill. Please know however, that I will keep your support for these amendments in mind if votes are allowed as the consideration of the NDAA continues.

In other words.......the can has been kicked down the road.......

Thanks for the link.

IMHO, this is a classic example of 'letting a seamstress rebuild a transmission'. Meaning the Air Farce general fails to see the fact that the A-10 is a purpose-build a/c that does it's job superbly. There is no other a/c in the U.S. military inventory that is designed like the A-10. In fact; Since 1945 there have been only two specifically designed a/c that have been built for the purpose of close air support: A-1 Skyraider and the A-10.

Having the A-10 be replaced by the F-35 would be taking a huge step backwards, to say the least. The A-10's design is as relevant and capable today as it was 20 years ago. Thirty years ago.

IMHO; The USAF wants their new toy, the F-35. Rather than admit to the qualities only the A-10 has in regards to close air support, the general uses cliches to make his point: "It's time to let it go." He also uses a stupid metaphor by comparing cutting the A-10s to cuts of other beloved aircraft such as the P-51 Mustang or F-86 Sabre when they became out of date but flying them was "still cool." That was downright insulting.

It is the stupidity like what the general has shown that I'm of the opinion that no one cares more for the well-being of the Army soldier than an Army pilot. Those A-10's belong in the Army flown by Army pilots.

Well the USAF has never been really gung-ho about close air support and it isn't the first time the A-10 has been threatened with retirement. Put up an aircraft like the A-10 against any fighter program and the A-10 doesn't stand a chance in the eyes of the Air Force.

Oh man, I still need to build one. My collection collectively demands it. wub.gif

Pierre

Didn't you read the article? The A-10 isn't cool anymore. It is time to let it go...

IMHO, this is a classic example of 'letting a seamstress rebuild a transmission'. Meaning the Air Farce general fails to see the fact that the A-10 is a purpose-build a/c that does it's job superbly. There is no other a/c in the U.S. military inventory that is designed like the A-10. In fact; Since 1945 there have been only two specifically designed a/c that have been built for the purpose of close air support: A-1 Skyraider and the A-10.

Having the A-10 be replaced by the F-35 would be taking a huge step backwards, to say the least. The A-10's design is as relevant and capable today as it was 20 years ago. Thirty years ago.

IMHO; The USAF wants their new toy, the F-35. Rather than admit to the qualities only the A-10 has in regards to close air support, the general uses cliches to make his point: "It's time to let it go." He also uses a stupid metaphor by comparing cutting the A-10s to cuts of other beloved aircraft such as the P-51 Mustang or F-86 Sabre when they became out of date but flying them was "still cool." That was downright insulting.

It is the stupidity like what the general has shown that I'm of the opinion that no one cares more for the well-being of the Army soldier than an Army pilot. Those A-10's belong in the Army flown by Army pilots.

Although Moseley works for LM the A-10 has been discussed here before and I suggest you read up here to take a look at some of the reasons why the A-10 is becoming irrelevant:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=267719&st=0

Note: This topic is about an article the first page, gets a little messy on pages 2 and 3, and then gets VERY in depth on pages 4 and 5. Read the whole thing though.

Again Moseley did not leave the USAF on good terms, however the current USAF Chief of Staff who was talking about retiring the A-10 in the first place (this time around) is a former A-10 driver... So he understands the limitations.

Rather than admit to the qualities only the A-10 has in regards to close air support, the general uses cliches to make his point: "It's time to let it go."

I have one word for that General: Stratofortress...

p-13414.jpg

B-1B_B-2_and_B-52.jpg

Edited by habu2

...and after B-52 you could also add KC-135, C-130, T-38, C-5 and F-15

It's not that the A-10 isn't still useful, it's the fact that it was never wanted by the Air Force in the first place. It isn't in production now, and with ever increasing demand of social spending, military spending is going to decrease. The choices are only going to get harder for the foreseeable future.

Although Moseley works for LM the A-10 has been discussed here before and I suggest you read up here to take a look at some of the reasons why the A-10 is becoming irrelevant:

http://www.arcforums...pic=267719&st=0

Note: This topic is about an article the first page, gets a little messy on pages 2 and 3, and then gets VERY in depth on pages 4 and 5. Read the whole thing though.

Again Moseley did not leave the USAF on good terms, however the current USAF Chief of Staff who was talking about retiring the A-10 in the first place (this time around) is a former A-10 driver... So he understands the limitations.

Thanks for sharing the link.

I will indeed read it cover to cover.

FWIW; I am of the opinion that officers from all branch of service are nothing more than military politicians above the rank of O-6.

The current CSAF is a former A-10. But shadows that is the fact that he's an O-10 working at the Pentagon dealing with members on congress and members of the presidents cabinet. A politician in a military uniform.

Now off to read the thread.

Well the USAF has never been really gung-ho about close air support...

There were so many types, I had to split them up into two posts because the forum only lets you post so many pictures!

ac-47.jpg

ac119_shadow.jpg

AC-130ASurprisePkg626_.jpg

ac130_3.jpg

spooky-ac-130u-920-1.jpg

And coming soon, the AC-130J...

130103-F-WB609-046.jpg

It's not that the A-10 isn't still useful, it's the fact that it was never wanted by the Air Force in the first place.

So the whole A-X program opened up in '67, the RFPs sent out in 1970 and the fly-off between '72 and '73.

That was a Navy program that was shoved down the AF's throat?

Edited by Tony Stark

Mr. Stark, only two of those planes were designed with CAS in mind by the AF. The other two were Navy programs with one having to be forced upon by the Army and secdef. The two bombers never had CAS in mind and the two fast movers suck at CAS, but will work in a pinch if on station and they have enough play time when boots on ground get in a tic.

Mr. Stark, only two of those planes were designed with CAS in mind by the AF. The other two were Navy programs with one having to be forced upon by the Army and secdef. The two bombers never had CAS in mind and the two fast movers suck at CAS, but will work in a pinch if on station and they have enough play time when boots on ground get in a tic.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=267719&st=60

and the two fast movers suck at CAS, but will work in a pinch if on station and they have enough play time when boots on ground get in a tic.

You never hear about it, but probably one of the best CAS platforms early in the war was the F-14.

So again...doesn't that validate the decision to retire the A-10?

Edited by Tony Stark

I love me some AC-130, but the restrictions placed on that angel of death makes it a pipe dream even within sof these days. Conventional forces in a tic? Name one time in the last five its been used. Even the stingers are getting rolled up in the same mission set the spectres are being used for. Might as well put the gun in a cop because the only howitzers firing are those with the excal rounds on the ground.

So again...doesn't that validate the decision to retire the A-10?

NO! '02 was the wild west with different sets of roe allowing the FACs to conduct business different than they do now. Patrols and an Air Assault with known objectives are night and day. Also, the CAS provided by the F-14 in OIF is a different beast that I don't think has been declass yet.