Morning chaps,

My next build is going to be a HuAF Su-22M3, specifically Red 04, as per below.

Hungarian_Air_Force_Sukhoi_Su-22M3_Lofting-1.jpg

Couple of questions:

1) The camo is very hotch potch I know, but has anyone built this particular model, and if so, what colours did you use?

2) I've searched Google and have really only come up with the above reference photo. Does anyone have ony others they could share, especially the top view so that I can get an idea of the camo pattern? The decals reference sheet only shows a profile shot so no real idea of whats going on upsatirs.

Any help greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Beautiful aircraft... Reminds me of these:

su2221.jpg

That is a Su-22, I mean an export version, it uses a different engine so the rear fuselage has a different shape (thicker and a bit shorter). Are you going to modify it? Verlinden Lock on #27 is a good reference, maybe you can find it around ;) I'll keep an eye on this thread. Best regards.

José.

Its not an easy subject you have chosen, I have to say. Our Su-22M3's had a very used camouflage since they were stored in the open air. There were no hard shelters at Taszar AFB, the home of the Su-22 fleet. Each aircraft was a bit different as far as the pattern of the camouflage goes but please compare them to some early Polish AF schemes and it is visible that batches of almost identical pattern was applied to several aircraft and there are twins of the Hungarian pattern on Polish aircraft.

Have to add that here were are still talking about the original Russian pattern applied to aircraft in the first decade of their service, the camouflage painted during overhaul was completely different.

Important that even though the aircraft were stored outdoors they had a textile cover on them, in all cases it was on the front 1/3 - 1/4 of the fuselage and so here you will see almost the original Russian paint with little fading while the rest of the frame is a terrible mesh mash of faded (some colours reversed during fading) colours and some corrections over it. It is not clear why pure black was used in many cases by the unit repair paint shop to do some re touching of damaged or repaired areas.

So what you would need to use are the original Russian paint equivalents in various stages of fading.

The Verlinden book is an excellent source of information, even if there are no photos of No. 4 aircraft in it.

Best regards and good luck with the build! :D :D :D

Gabor

P.s. What kit will you base your aircraft on?

Important that even though the aircraft were stored outdoors they had a textile cover on them, in all cases it was on the front 1/3 - 1/4 of the fuselage and so here you will see almost the original Russian paint

Like this.......

day02_10.jpg

(Su-17M4 of the Russian AF, taken at Monino in 2004 - but it shows the covering that Gabor mentions)

Most operational Russian aircraft have a darker painted forward fuselage than the rear because of the different fading of the paint due to the 'bags' being used.

There are more photos of 'bagged' aircraft here - taken at the same place.

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the photo, yes, this is the way the aircraft were protected. If you look at the first photo, the one with our Su-22M3 No. 04, you can see clearly that the front of the aircraft is different.

The idea of using the textile cover is not so unique to Russian a/c only.

The canopies had a separate thick textile cover to protect the plexi glass from scratches, damage. It was fixed to pins visible on the corners of canopy. It was a thick cover with an inner layer of duffle (I think thats the right name of the textile type) that would not leave any scratches on the surface.

The cover is / was used on all types so your idea on covering up the Kitty Hawk MiG-25 would not be far fetched at all!!!

Best regards

Gabor