No flame war happening here. Just looking at the G-Factor struts and Eduard Brassin Tires and Wheels in anticipation of Tamiya releasing −1D and Mama was bugging me for a Christmas wish list. Thank you all for your help.

Structurally, except for the cockpit and other very minor things, the F4U-1, -1A, and -1D were essentially the same airplane, so there's no reason to think they wouldn't have had the same landing gear. I don't even know that the later variants had any major difference in the gear design.

Question to the Corsair guru's. Did the F4U use the same landing gear struts and wheels throughout production? At least to the F4U-1D. Thank you for your time and answers.

I remember reading that the big beef for the Navy with the early F4U was the landing gear caused a significant bounce on carrier landings which caused the plane to miss the wires. That and poor visibility over the nose is why they were shore based for the first few years. Vought did tweak the landing gear to get them carrier qualified. Don't know if that was a visible change or just a different tension on the MLG suspension? I believe that showed up on the F4U-1D

Geoff

The "fix" was deflating the MLG struts. That's why all real Corsairs there is little to no visible chrome oleo strut visible. Most plastic models show them extended to a point, which is inaccurate.

That's not correct. They made changes internally in the struts. You can't just deflate the struts and have them do what they're designed to do. If you don't have adequate shock absorption, things break.